Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Approaching Kingswear by steam.

Kingswear

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Britain during the Winter of 2009!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:58 on 6th February 2009
I can't believe that the recent snow has actually, quite literally stopped Britain! During 1963 we had snow by the skip load dumped on us and what did we do, we cleared it and got on with it (Sue H's pictures of Wheatley 1963 prove the point!) Vehicles were fitted with chains as the norm, some might ask what are chains? The fact is that most vehicles today are fitted with low profile tyres and therefore unable to cope with the conditions. Further, my opinion is that we should all need to undertake by law a skid test before we are given a 'Pass' to drive on the roads. I hold a PSV licence which means I can drive buses, coaches etc but the test is very different, it teaches you to look 200 yards in front as well as 200 yards behind, as well as MSM...mirrror, signal, manouvre! What are you're thoughts members, should we need 'extra' tuition?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 17:15 on 6th February 2009

Yeah i agree Ron, the driving is pretty awful that I see!!   I'm trained to drive emergency vehicles, and had to go on pretty extensive difficult courses to pass, I too have been on a 'skid test' and its great fun!!  and really does teach you what its like to get into, and out of a skid!  the only thing i'll say about skid tests, is it can ruin your 'normal' driving skills, it requiers a completely different style of driving, so when you get back onto a normal road it takes a little while to adjust. But it is a valuable experience as far as i'm concerned.

I think a general understanding on how you position, drive, reverse etc... would be benificial to most!  i think we should have tests every 5/10 years, just to give you an uplift. And like you say, how to drive in bad weather!!Smile

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:18 on 6th February 2009
I think you are so right Jason!
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 17:26 on 6th February 2009

I think everyone should have such a driving course!!! All you get is some drivers ed in high school when you are 16 and that's it!  The rest you learn by experince and most people do not have much!!!

And forget bad weather!  Rain, snow you name it, some people just do not know what to do.  And I will be honest...I am one of those people!!

Ron, I saw on the news last night about all those poor drivers stuck on the highway near Devon!!!  How horrible that must have been!!!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 17:33 on 6th February 2009
Yes Krissy, but common sense should have prevailed!
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 17:34 on 6th February 2009
I agree!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:32 on 7th February 2009
I hope the 'idiot' doesn't read this, or he will probably stitch us up for a test every 5 years costing a £100 a throw! Oh, plus VAT but not sure what rate he might want to impose!
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:00 on 7th February 2009

It's not as bad as this yet, is it?

This was taken in January 1963 just down the road from our house (you can just see me outside my house, a speck in the background).

Winter of '62, '63
Picture by Sue H.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:30 on 7th February 2009
Nowhere near as bad as that Sue, but it has worried the life out of most young to middle aged drivers I think basically because they have never experienced it, and therefore don't know how to handle it. Of course there has been the b....y stupid 18-23 year olds who don't realise just what could happen as they skid down Shotover Hill (Old Road as you know) with one yob on the ROOF of the car, one hanging out of the passenger window and the driver struggling to control the vehicle because of the packed ice. Chris, Sarah and the kids were on the pathway just walking, minding there own business, enjoying the conditions but how much consideration did the yobs have for their family? None whatsoever, these are the scumbags that need sorting out!
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 21:09 on 7th February 2009

Going home very early Monday morning, the fields were covered in snow and on a bit of dual carriageway, came across a driver going along around 25 MPH. Perhaps prudent for all the snow around except for not a drop of it was on the road which was quite clear.

Some youngsters were on a bridge near us throwing snowballs at passing cars. One lady with her kids in had her windscreen smashed as the snowball was hiding the stones they'd put inside of them.

Then I read in the news that councils, such as ours, won't be gritting side roads due to the shortage of salt. But, I can't recall when ours ever did grit any sideroads anyway, though noticed today the gritting trucks were back out at sundown----on the main A roads as usual; the only roads I've ever seen them on.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:7th February 2009 21:10