Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Penmon

Penmon

in the county of Isle of Anglesey

Symond's Yat, Herefordshire.

Symonds Yat

in the county of Herefordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

850 sacked workers at BMW Cowley Plant in Oxford have nothing to complain about!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:34 on 16th February 2009
They were agency staff who accepted the terms offered at the time of engagement and knew exactly what could happen but didn't expect, anymore than any of us did, to be in dire straits here in Oxford like the rest of the world is today. Some of those employee's have had three, four and five years of the good times with very good money and now that the world is struggling to come to terms with the economic situation and BMW fire them to survive, they pelt the trade union spokesman with fruit and complain about being given one hours notice and no redundancy payments! Some of those interviewed for radio and television said they didn't know what they were going to do and in the next breath said, I have another job as a careworker also! So they have been 'working'  a shift at BMW and then going onto another job in their 'spare time'. I say BMW didn't work them hard enough and consider some to be very greedy based on what has been said. Did they ever stop to think that by having a second job they were depriving others who actually needed employment to even begin to exist? I doubt they cared as long as 'I'm alright Jack'. I think one guy sums it up as he left the Cowley Plant, he said 'it's a disgrace, weve got nothing after 5 years of working here. I'm off to the doctors to get signed off with stress'. Doesn't that just about say it all?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 19:09 on 16th February 2009

Paul sent me the Oxford news article with this in.

I must admit to feeling sorry for there position, but sadly they join the ever growing number of unemployed that are suffering the effects of todays economy.

Saying that, I do know of some companies who are certainly NOT struggling, that have cut the hours of their employees (one being my son) while employing school kids to fill in the slack.  In other words, they are taking advantage of todays economic crisis to line their own pockets.

Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 19:46 on 16th February 2009

That is not fair to have the second jobs when so many were/are looking for a situation,

I dont feel sorry for those with exceptional greed..

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 19:55 on 16th February 2009
I think some of the employees with second jobs, send money back to there families in there home countries Richard. 
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 08:27 on 17th February 2009

It is sad for anyone to lose their job. There has been a trend for companies to employ people from agencies. They pay a premium to the agency for these people but the agency take a good cut! The agency staff know that they are not entitled to redundancy or notice so it is no point them complaining now! They signed the agreement!

I think they were mostly weekend workers so I suppose alot of them worked in the week too at other jobs - I don't think we should really have a go at people who were working hard at two jobs - we don't know their circumstances. I had to do three jobs when I was married to my 1st husband just to keep my house because he got us in debt and wouldn't work.

Richard Sellers
Richard Sellers
quotePosted at 14:23 on 17th February 2009
well put Sue & Stephanie...point well taken.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 15:12 on 17th February 2009

I agree with you Sue and Stephanie, some people need two jobs just to make ends meet. I suppose that I am a little more tolerant now that I am in that same position!

Sue, I am sorry to hear about what's happening in your son's company. That is an unfortunate trend here too. Many companies are either laying off full time employees and hiring two people part time to replace them because they can pay the two less than they paid the one and they don't have to provide medical insurance, vacation time, or sick time to the part timers.

It's sad to see this happening here in Massachusetts because it is a law here that you must have medical insurance and if you don't you can be penalized for up to $200.00 per month. This is ludicrous; if it comes down to paying your rent or purchasing medical insurance what do you think people are going to choose?

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:18 on 17th February 2009
On 16th February 2009 19:55, Sue H. wrote:
I think some of the employees with second jobs, send money back to there families in there home countries Richard. 

You'd think at 50 I'd know my theirs and there's. I promise I'm not as dumb as that post makes me look. I'll blame it on my Monday brian.

We were hoping that my son could finance a move away from home this year, but that is not going to be possible now. Maybe it will entice him to go to community college full time (then he will be covered by my husbands insurance) as opposed to taking the two night classes. So some good may come out of it. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 15:28 on 17th February 2009

>>>I'll blame it on my Monday brian.

Or your Tuesday fred?

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 15:30 on 17th February 2009
Oh! Surprised LOL!!! You just can't win today, Sue! Laughing