Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St, Gregory's Church. Kirknewton, Northumberland.

Kirknewton

in the county of Northumberland

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Please I really need your opinion...!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Alexis 89
Alexis 89
quotePosted at 19:52 on 30th March 2009

Hi there! I'm a Bulgarian student and I have to finish an English Certificate with the topic- Iconic British figures and I need to make a sort of survey, in order to finish the certificate Laughing I really need your opinion on the top british historical, artistic etc figures. From writers to politicians or whatever British personality you admire the most.So please..just a couple of lines, any suggestion is welcomed. Thanks a lot...

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 20:51 on 30th March 2009

Wecome Alexis - good luck with your certificate!

I admire Winston Churchill - our British Prime Minister during most of the war years. He was a great leader.

I might be shot for it (just joking) as many people hate her but Margaret Thatcher was also a great leader - I don't think any of us realised at the time - and she was also the first woman Prime Minister (came into power in 1979).

Edward Elgar - great composer - he was born not that far from where I live.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:17 on 30th March 2009

Thats a great start Stephanie, and I wouldn't see you shot for naming Margaret Thatcher. Pity she's not able to take over from the idiot we have currently!

Alexis the Pictures Of England.com website is full of good information so why not take a look at the following page, it will keep you busy for ages!  

http://www.picturesofengland.com/famous
Kevin Tebbutt
Kevin Tebbutt
quotePosted at 22:52 on 30th March 2009
After Churchill I would have to say William Shakespeare. I think his influence on world literature is truly amazing.
Sally Birch
Sally Birch
quotePosted at 23:06 on 30th March 2009
May I suggest Florence Nightingale famous for her work in the military hospitals of the Crimea, who established nursing as a respectable profession for women. Also Sir Robert Baden Powell famous souldier and founder of Scouting.
MariaGrazia
MariaGrazia
quotePosted at 00:21 on 31st March 2009
Isaac Newton!  My horse for a tiny bit of his genius :)...
Ray Stear
Ray Stear
quotePosted at 00:24 on 31st March 2009
On 30th March 2009 19:52, Alexis 89 wrote:

Hi there! I'm a Bulgarian student and I have to finish an English Certificate with the topic- Iconic British figures and I need to make a sort of survey, in order to finish the certificate Laughing I really need your opinion on the top british historical, artistic etc figures. From writers to politicians or whatever British personality you admire the most.So please..just a couple of lines, any suggestion is welcomed. Thanks a lot...

Hi Alexis,

Thomas Hardy, one of our great writers. Tennyson, one of our great poets.

Ray Stear
Ray Stear
quotePosted at 00:26 on 31st March 2009
On 31st March 2009 00:21, MariaGrazia wrote:
Isaac Newton!  My horse for a tiny bit of his genius :)...

Hi Mari!! Now, this horse of yours. what's it called? I never knew you had a horse???

Ciao

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 02:44 on 31st March 2009
John Constable, his paintings are pleasing to the eye, my eye at least.
Alexis 89
Alexis 89
quotePosted at 18:57 on 31st March 2009

OK..so far so good, winston churchill and margaret thatcher were at the top of my list as well.Laughing I will add the new proposals to my certificate..Eduard Edgar, Florence Nightingale, Tennyson and John Constable..

PS: I'm a fan of William Blake's drawings and work, I think he had a very special connection with "the beyond" or I don'i know how to name it..take The Ancient of Days for ex..or many other drawings.

From my research, Isaac Newton turned out to be the most influential scientists of all time, he surpassed even Einstein. Quote:“To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

I will continue to check out the replies..so far you've been of really great help. Thank you