Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Hartland point

Hartland

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

White people are now the minority in Leicester!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 13:18 on 18th October 2009
On 18th October 2009 05:40, Toby Craig wrote:
Keep going, you're on a roll....

Nope, all done. Stereotyping is such exhausting work!Wink
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 13:22 on 18th October 2009
On 18th October 2009 05:40, Toby Craig wrote:
Keep going, you're on a roll....

I guess my point is that we all stereotype to varying extents, whether consciously or unconsciously, and nationalities are often consigned to absurd caricatures. When we start blindly buying into those stereotypes that's when the real danger rears it's ugly head. My last couple of posts were in jest, of course, but they have their roots in the way some people really felt (feel?) about these Celtic groups--"No dogs or Irishmen" was a sign posted in many places of business in the U.S. at the time of the massive immigration into this country sparked by the Great Famine. "Irish" was merely interchanged with "Italian" or "Chinese" or "Poles" or any number of the newest immigrants to the States. Sad but true.

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:18th October 2009 13:51
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 20:46 on 18th October 2009

It seems to be in our nature, unfortunately.  But we do have the power to rise above it - like everything else - it's a choice we make.

Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 21:55 on 18th October 2009

No offence but I have such deep soul issues with having been an Nazi prisoner in my past life...it apparently seems that after I was the preacher/elder grandfather I gave POE recent material on, by "bond" with God...the next lifetime was being Jewish...it may been the "big house" I lived in I use to have visions of as an child. I can recall some of it now, with the help of past regression. It is an main problem of my weight, for I starved to death then, this lifetime eat to much, and an diet brings back "recall" of the starvation. I wasn' t gassed, I was taken to an mass gravesite "ditch" shot through the stomach, and fell down into it, on top of semi-dead people clamoring for air to breathe. As an child, I use to have constant dreams of falling from great heights...waking up before hitting the bottom, any kind of holding me close, reminds me of the the people clamoring fighting for air from the ditch, as an small child, traveling on trains use to make me sick to my stomach, anything where I was enclosed and moving...the stench was unbarable of the dead..they covered me up with dirt, I died actually by suffication. Today I have such an case of clastrophobia in enclosed places, and basements often remind me of the "stench" of human death. When I was born I had an tattoo on my arm also, it was an "pitch fork" shape. My gall stones, resembling gun sho tshells was taken out through my stomach couple of years back. As I have aged, my "tatoo"  has slowly went away. I was told my first 50 years was programmed for me to get over the Holocast in my previous life. I understand that there are many of the holocast victims coming back now, and many are indeed remembering the situation back then. I use to have my little hiding place as an kid, it was amoung the center of an laural bush out behind the little house we had on our property. I have always had this need to "escape" from something also, I trust few people. I think I must of been an young adult back then...as to gender possibly male.That's why I came back female this time, so my soul could rest and re-coperate. As most males have more strength and watch over female counterparts...and don't go through the rigors that males do in life...though they are getting there these days. But these are spiritual manners I guess. I do not make this up on this..it has taken me an lifetime to discover it...so I could understand it.

I think what is irking Ron perhaps is that of many middle-income Americans...they have survived generations on the soil they shaped and gave character to, and new people come in an upsurb them and give thm very little voice in matters...they fear losing their traditional values...ones that at one time made the country the success it was in history. if we say, we know from expereince, we are called "racist" rather we are or not. But there are an lot of attractive looking  groups out there these days that indeed turn something sour from an original thought that was good perhaps..or to say it..they twist the truth...and say they are knowledgable.You can see from their actions, that they represent two things in life, control of others, and personal wealth.

One of these episodes played out this last weekend rather tragically When this "new ager"named James Ray set up an "Sweat Lodge" affair charging some $10,,000 for this 3 day fasting, "purification" seminar in order to gain insight from the lord on how to become more financially and spiritually successful. It killed two men, one an father of three children, and has another in the hospital crtically ill, and an host of them something like 15 more at the hosptail suffering dehydration and other physical ailments. The Native Ameircans are upset, saying that the stealing of their spiritual beleiveth system, by someone unknowledgable about it, only goes to serve how they are constantly exploited by others..preferably the white race. That this man had nothing to do with going through the requirements of an Native Ameircan to perform this ritual to begin with..let alone the money factor, which they seldom accept. and if done so it's usually for the pot luck to feed others afterward..that "fasting" is never done with an "sweat lodge" either. This man James Ray, has on his twitter web site up top from what I could see..."as seen on the Oprah ...Larry King"..one other name TV show, I couldn't catch...but he leaned on well known people to advertise this event. He is at the moment retreated and not saying much, mostly about to get sued perhaps. He apparently wrote an book called "The Secret".  I heard many people say they disagreed with it when it first came out. Thing is, with economic times so hard over here, people are looking for  help anyway they can get it, you can bet more then one, spent this money, was on their last dime and dollar seeking help. I also heard that the big-wigs as they call them expect big bonuses this year, and I fear what  it's going lead irito if they do them...as the silent battle between the have's and have-nots keep ensuing. But that's another story I guess for now..Mostly the problem is that these people just dont' fantom those under them as going without "because" of them I suppose. There are 4 Billion people here, one out of every 136 homes is in foreclosure right now across the country. I think creating decent paying steady employment will greatly help the nation over here. As for this guy above, he walked an fine line...and lost I suppose you could say.

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 15:30 on 20th October 2009
On 18th October 2009 20:46, Ruth Gregory wrote:

It seems to be in our nature, unfortunately.  But we do have the power to rise above it - like everything else - it's a choice we make.

Indeed it is, Ruth. I think it's a part of our evolution on many levels. We can change it, and it is changing to some degree. Albeit, for every step forward we seem to take two steps back. But two steps is better than the three we used to take!

We humans (all humans regardless of race) still seem to be in our adolescence where prejudice, hate, and intolerance are concerned. We seem to be stuck in this erroneous thinking pattern where we believe that respect and tolerance for another way of life equals loss of control over our own destinies and assimilation into another way of being.

We can't seem to let others be who they are without feeling that we are relinquishing something of who we are. Things will change when we can talk to each other rather than at or about each other.

Fear of being assimilated and losing our identity is a primal and  powerful trick of the mind. We must learn to be the masters of our minds and use them to better our world rather than reacting to the playground politics of our reptilian brains.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 16:46 on 20th October 2009

Trying to say I got the brain of a gator Diana? Lol

Remember though POE'rs this title came from a BBC programme!!

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 17:04 on 20th October 2009
If the brain fits, Ron? Lol! ;-)
Toby Craig
Toby Craig
quotePosted at 17:47 on 20th October 2009
Erm... More tea vicar? Foot in mouth
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 17:59 on 20th October 2009
Earl Grey, hot. ;-)
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 04:37 on 21st October 2009
On 20th October 2009 15:30, Diana Sinclair wrote:

Indeed it is, Ruth. I think it's a part of our evolution on many levels. We can change it, and it is changing to some degree. Albeit, for every step forward we seem to take two steps back. But two steps is better than the three we used to take!

We humans (all humans regardless of race) still seem to be in our adolescence where prejudice, hate, and intolerance are concerned. We seem to be stuck in this erroneous thinking pattern where we believe that respect and tolerance for another way of life equals loss of control over our own destinies and assimilation into another way of being.

We can't seem to let others be who they are without feeling that we are relinquishing something of who we are. Things will change when we can talk to each other rather than at or about each other.

Fear of being assimilated and losing our identity is a primal and  powerful trick of the mind. We must learn to be the masters of our minds and use them to better our world rather than reacting to the playground politics of our reptilian brains.

You put that so eloquently, Diana.  I never thought of it that way - the fear of being assimilated. Food for thought.  But I'm a firm believer that any choice or decision you make that's rooted in fear is usually the wrong one, unlesss it's an actual matter of life and death.

Please login to post to this thread...