'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Pilley, Hampshire

Pilley

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

hacked off!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 11:34 on 28th October 2009
Home Secretary John Reid has signed an extradition order for Gary McKinnon, the Scot accused by the US government of perpetrating "the biggest military hack of all time".
McKinnon has said that he believes he faces up to 70 years in jail in the US. When he was initially arrested by the National Hi Tech Crime Unit (NHTCU) in 2002,

UK prosecutors refused to charge him and he was told he would receive community service.

He was later indicted by the US and the extradition process was begun. A London district judge recommended extradition in May, but the Home Secretary had the final decision.
"On 4 July the secretary of state signed an order for Mr McKinnon's extradition to the United States for charges connected with computer hacking," said a Home Office statement.
He has said that he was looking for information about UFOs and US anti-gravity technology. He rejects the characterisation of his activities by one US prosecutor as "the biggest military hack of all time", and says he was a "bumbling computer nerd".

In my opinion this Brit has only done what many other nationals  have possibly done (including Americans) hacking into other nations computers either with the authority of their government bodies or just because ‘they can’. it’s just a game to ‘computor  nerds’.

If he is found guilty of a criminal offence as defined by the law of the country he was in when he did it, whilst breaking that law, then he should stand trial and serve any sentence given to him by that same country.

This ‘silly computer nerd’ and his family have suffered seven years of stress of not knowing of his fate. It is wronge that this should have been allowed to drag on for so long with the possibility of him being shipped to a foreign country and possibly serve unreasonable custody in conditions where his life is contantly under real threat.

If he is guilty of a crime under British Law he should be tried and serve any sentence in a British Gail .

What use does it serve anyone to send this now ‘suicidal’ hacker to stand an expensive trial and detention period in a foreign land?
Undecided
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:50 on 28th October 2009
I agree with you Michael, he should not be extradited to the USA because he is a British Citizen and as you say, he should be tried here not in a foreign land. Further, it is reported that this guy suffers from Aspergers syndrome. Now having a grandson with the same ability, we know that he could be very clever indeed, so why not use those talents here in the UK to stop some of the abuse and nonsense that goes on here on the net? I honestly believe we should start some form of petition and hope it's not too late. God bless this guy and may he NEVER set foot on American soil.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 13:12 on 28th October 2009
Spot on. I  think that the Americans and the western world should be thanking this man, not prosecuting him. he exposed flaws in their security systems. perhaps they (or us) should even be employing him as a security advisor!
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 14:17 on 28th October 2009

Hmmm. I wonder if you both would feel the same way if it had been a U.S. citizen who hacked into the British system?

Having said that, I do remember thinking, when the case first broke in the news, that the U.S. government was over reacting to the situation. I wondered how much of it was due to genuine concern over the "crime" and how much of it was attributable to embarrassment the US Military was experiencing cleaning the egg off their faces.

Some would say that a crime is a crime and should be treated accordingly. But it seems to me that there is a lot that needs to be taken into consideration. Not just the man's handicap but also his actions to date. Does he have a history of such criminal behavior? What is his mental state; is he even capable of premeditating such a plot? Was there someone else behind the scenes manipulating this man? Etc.

In the end if criminal intent can be proven then he should be held accountable. However, if not, then God save us from those who insist on justice where mercy would serve just as well.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:54 on 28th October 2009

Nicely put as ever Diana, BUT, this guy has an illness (or brilliance) that could make him a outstanding brain (obviously he does have special talents) therefore he should be encouraged, used sensibly, and certainly not locked up somewhere in an environment that is strange to him.

This is one of the most awful things about this case, we know from our own experience that those who suffer Aspergers syndrome cannot accept change, it disrupts them completely. We see this in our grandson who suffers Aspergers. At home he arranges his games, toys, books, anything that is personal to him very specifically in his bedroom and if we move anything at all (without his knowledge) and then watch him as he walks into his room it's almost as if he has the ability to scan the whole area for anything out of place. He very quickly has a grumble about it and puts it back where it 'should' be, quite incredible!

I think I am right in saying that Einstein suffered Aspergers.

We feel for this guy and hope and pray that he will NOT be extradited to the USA. We say give him a chance and go chase real crooks!!

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 15:39 on 28th October 2009

Agreed, Ron. I think we are on the same page.

If it has been determined that this man is not guilty of intent to commit a crime, and that he is not mentally capable of understanding what he did then he deserves mercy.

We do well to remember that lady Justice wears a blindfold but she is not herself blind. This is done in order to indicate that justice is (or should be) meted out objectively, without fear or favor, regardless of the identity, power, or weakness of the individuals brought before the bar. But it should not be used as a weapon to make criminals out of the innocent (In this case the man is guilty of the fact of the crime but not of intent to commit a crime).

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:57 on 28th October 2009

Very well analised, judge Sinclair! Can someone over there in the US 'lobby' their Government representitives not to pusue this mans extredition and ask the British justice system to satisfy all, that no malicious intent was present.  His parents and family should be spared the stress of loosing a loved one, they are not guilty of any crime. Fingers crossed that common sense will prevail.

POE power is needed.

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 18:00 on 28th October 2009
Perhaps his familiy could start a petition?
Toby Craig
Toby Craig
quotePosted at 19:59 on 28th October 2009

I think this man should account for his actions in a US court and accept the outcome. 

Hacking into a military computer, for whatever reason, is an offence and this guy must have been totally aware of that fact.

As for his "Asperges" syndrome,  this guy was diagnosed by a doctor who happened to see him on a news broadcast. He now uses this "new found" knowledge as a huge sympathy lever to excuse his behaviour and help him out of this deep hole he has dug.

I also believe that he was offered a trial by "plea bargain" which could have assured a more lenient sentence, which he refused. 

Had he gained entry to wherever he was going, how much further would he have gone and what damage could he have done?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:03 on 28th October 2009
If he suffers Aspergers Toby, he needs help as well as sympathy believe me! However, nobody can deny he is obviously very clever...