Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Halfpenny Pier, Harwich, Essex

Harwich

in the county of Essex

The Queen and Prince Philip at Greenwich

Greenwich

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A ballot to see if Gordon Brown continue's in office

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:28 on 6th January 2010
It seems that a secret vote is about to take place within the Labour Party to see if Gordon Brown should continue as Prime Minister. Why should he stay, he was never elected by the people? And so close to the General Election........yippeeee! Brown 0 Cameron 1
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 17:50 on 6th January 2010
Bet Gordon is just seething at that one.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:28 on 7th January 2010

Okay, call him 'Houdini' if you like because he managed to escape being put on the rack in my opinion. But how come it took some of his senior Ministers up to 6 hours to make up their mind which way to go?

I reckon they were waiting to see how things developed and in the end made their decision based on the News reports available.

Either way they are going to lose their jobs soon so I guess it doesn't matter for the time being, but what a load of lemmings! Or is it a case of in this economic climate I don't want to be out of work right now......join the real world Ministers!!

Meanwhile David Cameron continue's to lead in the Polls so latest score Brown 1 Cameron 2 whilst the subs are warming up with Clegg and Farage looking pretty fit!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:56 on 10th January 2010

Sunday 10th January 2010 - Brown 1 Cameron 3

Subs sat down again.

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 21:41 on 10th January 2010

This is the beauty of freedom! We can share our thoughs in here without retaliation or death.

Will GB make it this time around ? I think it's going to be 'down to the wire' on this one. I do think that the Big 3 are going to be surprised by the actual outcome of this election. Based on what I've read, heard, know and actually listened to in the various media sources, I think THIS election is going to be one with some surprises to it. But that is just my view.

I, personally, do hope that people don't become discouraged and therefore don't go to vote. I hope they ALL get out there and vote and let the country know where our gov't stands, according to the people....the ones that made this country and STILL have the freedom to say who will be in power.

VOTE VOTE VOTE......

there.....I am off my soap box...lol

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:26 on 11th January 2010

I agree with all that you say here Beth and yes the key is to use your vote!

According to a Sun Newspaper Poll today Labour (Brown) is on 30 and Tory (Cameron) is on 42.

Current score Brown 1 Cameron 4

Subs are still sat down wondering if they will get a chance to play!

TheHermit
TheHermit
quotePosted at 19:01 on 12th January 2010
Push of pike
Picture by Hermit TheBald

I wonder if any of it matters.  The nation is bankrupted . The only thing any of them have to offer are more taxes and cuts, because they had to give the coffers to the banks to prop up failed capitalism, and although public sector workers will have to take the brunt of it, the bankers are still getting their bonuses paid for with our money, or so it seems to me. Perhaps I have misunderstood something.

The idea that parliament should form factions ,which become political parties who then set about to win my vote that they may introduce their agenda does not appeal to me. There is a place for parliament, but to my mind it is for each member to represent the people who sent him there, and vote on issues according to conscience. If then every member was independent, how would a party arise who could so govern the country? The point is they wouldn't.

Parliament asserted power through force of arms, through unconstitutional means. Any power thus assumed by unconstitutional means is called tyranny. I once knew the Greek for the meaning of it, for Draco I think was a tyrant.

Consider this. The USA have a day to remember, the 4th July. The French and Russians also commemorate their revolutions, but the English never do. Can any of you give me a date for the abolition of the monarchy in this country, when parliament assumed power? Surely we should all know this. The reason we don't is because the idea of an assertive parliament, let alone a party within it who make up the ruling faction by reason of your vote is still a thorny issue. Therefore there is no day of celebration in this country for any rebellion that saw power pass from the monarchy to parliament.

In answer to your question then, I consider that no political party in parliament should rule,  but rather the monarchy, but since you ask, I think Brown is a dead loss, but Cameron fairs no better. Though I had no time for the Tory policies of the eighties, at least Maggie knew what she was about, and she was one of our most successful premiers. From what I can make out, David Cameron doesn't seem to know what he is about at all.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:11 on 12th January 2010
Generally agree with what you say Hermit. Tyranny, now there's a word!
Vera Howarth
Vera Howarth
quotePosted at 22:15 on 13th January 2010
where's old Noll when we need him.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:30 on 14th January 2010
You mean Oliver Cromwell Vera, who was so called by the Royalists?