'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bath

Bath

a Historic City in the county of Somerset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Best places in England to live

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 03:04 on 26th February 2010

Just put in Google  estate agents and a town name. That should bring a few up selling houses in a particular region.

You can use this site here to see what houses have sold for, to give you an idea too, once you've found an area of interest.

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/

And you'll find another useful house related site here

http://www.proviser.com/

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:26th February 2010 03:18
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Cozycriter
Cozycriter
quotePosted at 18:01 on 28th February 2010

Hi, Timothy.. I hope you find just the perfect spot for you!  Wish I could "join" Krissy and Diana in your new venture, but I'd need to be drugged just to get on the plane! ;-)  Good luck and all the best to you! :)

Hugs, Jo

Timothy Kingsley
Timothy Kingsley
quotePosted at 03:52 on 15th March 2010

So I'm pretty sure that I'm going to move to either Hampshire or Devon, and I'm looking into Winchester.

I also saw this beautiful town in the site's gallery called Selworthy. Definitely going to visit someday and maybe move when I retire Sealed

Still thinking about Dorset, Kent, Surrey, Norfolk, Suffolk, and maybe Essex though.. this summer I'm going back so I can make a final decision.

David Seager
David Seager
quotePosted at 22:56 on 24th March 2010
Is it possible to take a one-way cruise ship from US to UK?  Then another one-way back? (So one could stay as long as the visa allows)  I'm like Jo--I'd have to be unconscious to fly!
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 23:49 on 24th March 2010

Wouldn't the QM 2 do as I believe she does the Southampton- New York run.

Queen Mary 2
Picture by David Sarson

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:02 on 25th March 2010
On 15th March 2010 03:52, Timothy Kingsley wrote:

So I'm pretty sure that I'm going to move to either Hampshire or Devon, and I'm looking into Winchester.

There's some lovely villages in the area around Winchester too. Nice pedestrianised shopping centre and the cathedral is pretty good too.
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 08:31 on 25th March 2010
There are pretty villages in every county in and every country in the UK (and indeed Europe) once you get away from the cities. property prices and the general living costs also become cheaper and quality of life is far better, but dont tell everyWinkone, we dont want this spoiling. lol
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 13:54 on 25th March 2010
On 15th March 2010 03:52, Timothy Kingsley wrote:

I also saw this beautiful town in the site's gallery called Selworthy. Definitely going to visit someday and maybe move when I retire Sealed

Still thinking about Dorset, Kent, Surrey, Norfolk, Suffolk, and maybe Essex though.. this summer I'm going back so I can make a final decision.

Timothy: You really can't go wrong with Winchester (having lived there for a short time myself). It is very charming and full of interesting buildings and points of interest! Selworthy is quite lovely, but it is a bit remote (Minehead is the nearest large town). Have you considered Saffron Walden in Essex? Great town and fairly close to London, Cambridge and other larger towns and cities. Good luck--I'm envious!

Cozycriter
Cozycriter
quotePosted at 14:58 on 27th March 2010
On 24th March 2010 22:56, David Seager wrote:
Is it possible to take a one-way cruise ship from US to UK?  Then another one-way back? (So one could stay as long as the visa allows)  I'm like Jo--I'd have to be unconscious to fly!

lol..hi, David and Paul..

Love the QM2 pic, btw. :)  I had no idea about taking an actual cruise from NY to England.  I imagine it would take at least three weeks?  Any idea?  The cost, alone, is probably astronomical.

Maybe I should just suck it up and get on a plane, for pete's sake! (and if David wants, I'll wake his unconscious self up before we land)..lol.

I have a question.  If I moved to England, how would my possessions get there?  By boat?  I don't have a lot of possessions at all, but just the same, I know I couldn't take them on a plane, right?..and of course, the most precious "cargo" I have are my two kitties.

Hugs, Jo

David Seager
David Seager
quotePosted at 23:49 on 27th March 2010

In my opinion, for me, it would take a really large chunk of money for a cruise ship to be out of the question.  It'd be money well spent!  But I'm thinking that most of my belongings could be left to others; I can accumulate more "stuff" once there.  I might see if I outlive my beloved cat, though, first!

Jo, how do you think you'll be able to move to England?  My research tells me it's pretty difficult: one needs either tons of money to be self-sufficient, and/or a job offer for a permanent position at the professional level.  I'd like to do it if I could get something equivalent to an (American) community college position, since I have a doctorate, but I'd need someone to offer me a position (hint, guys!).  Right now, I teach online, so perhaps I could continue that(?).

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4