Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Fishing / Crab Baskets at Mudeford Quay - March 2009

Mudeford

a Seaside Town in the county of Dorset

Parish Church, Denby, Derbyshire

Denby

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Which location would you choose? (living in the UK)

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:07 on 21st August 2010

And Filton is where Concorde landed after it's final flight ever; 26 November, 2003 when G-BOAF took off from Heathrow; went for a spin off the southwest-coast, and came back to land at Filton for the very last time;  first flight was 2 March, 1969, and I have a film of  her first public display in the UK at the Farnborough air show---G-BSST who has been on display at RNAS Yeovilton for years now.

I've got some keel bolts off the S S Great Britain; in the 1970's  the old bolts and nuts were being sold to help raise money for her restoration 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:21st August 2010 22:32
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:40 on 21st August 2010

And here she is--G-BSST and in the old days, she used to be kept outside---gotta dig my photo out of back then. Smile Oddly enough, while out taking pics to go on Poe recently, I bumped into a former Concorde test pilot who apparently, has more flying hours on her than the BA pilots.

Fleet Air Arm Museum, Somerset
Picture by Fleetairarm.com

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:21st August 2010 22:48
Barry Lee
Barry Lee
quotePosted at 08:28 on 22nd August 2010

Paul

I remember 2nd March 1969 very well. It was my 9th birthday, and I stood on the coalshed of our house in Challow and watched Concorde fly over. We actually heard the sonic boom (it was later prevented from reaching this speed over the mainland). Now living near Bristol, we also saw it on its last flight too.

Funny enough, juts last weekend we visited the fleet air arm at Yeovilton and I took pretty much the exact same photo! She is such a beautiful aircraft, its such a great pity we no longer see her in the sky.

Next to the Tank Museum in Bovington, Yeovilton is one of my favourite places. Do people put those kind of reviews on this site?

Regards, Barry
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 08:55 on 22nd August 2010

Been meaning to go to the Tank Museum at Bovington connected to family history as they have records down there with regards to WW1 Tank soldiers I'd like to see. Well, one in particular actually, who ended his days many years later in Weston-Super-Mare in 1977. 2nd Lt. Daniel M F Sheryer; Royal Engineers; Tank Corp.

But for old times sake and fond memories........

Concorde about to touch down
Picture by Paul Hilton

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:22nd August 2010 10:06
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 09:03 on 22nd August 2010
But, to answer Jonathan's question, I'd go for Bristol as well, or around that area.  Has a lot going for it these days.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:09 on 22nd August 2010
On 22nd August 2010 08:28, Barry Lee wrote:

Paul

I remember 2nd March 1969 very well. It was my 9th birthday, and I stood on the coalshed of our house in Challow and watched Concorde fly over. We actually heard the sonic boom (it was later prevented from reaching this speed over the mainland). Now living near Bristol, we also saw it on its last flight too.

Funny enough, juts last weekend we visited the fleet air arm at Yeovilton and I took pretty much the exact same photo! She is such a beautiful aircraft, its such a great pity we no longer see her in the sky.

Next to the Tank Museum in Bovington, Yeovilton is one of my favourite

Chris and Sarah appreciate reviews for POE Barry and if you are not sure of where to put them, why not say hello to the owners of this brilliant website and forum at UK2@picturesofengland.com and they will point you in the right direction. Surely it would be good to say hello to your cousin Sarah anyway wouldn't it?
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:32 on 22nd August 2010
Hi Barry, when the whistle-stop tours get to Bristol I would also appreciate you adding the information on Yeovilton & Bovington (I am presuming they are both in the same county - showing my ignorance now, sorry).  Probably be a couple of weeks yet before we get there - so you can your pics lined up, lol.
Barry Lee
Barry Lee
quotePosted at 13:55 on 22nd August 2010
On 22nd August 2010 10:32, cathyml wrote:
Hi Barry, when the whistle-stop tours get to Bristol I would also appreciate you adding the information on Yeovilton & Bovington (I am presuming they are both in the same county - showing my ignorance now, sorry).  Probably be a couple of weeks yet before we get there - so you can your pics lined up, lol.

Hi Cathy, I think I strayed a bit off topic - both are quite a bit south of Bristol - Yeovilton is on the Somerset / Dorset border and Bovington is on the Dorset coast near Swanage. I will write something up on both in the next few weeks. Regards, Barry
 Please login to post to this thread...