Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Canal at by Dudley Tunnel

Dudley

in the county of West Midlands

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

A Challenge to all Oxfordians

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:33 on 16th March 2011

Should it be Oxfordians or Oxfordites or something more exotic? lol

There are a number of villages and attractions which have no pictures on POE in Oxfordshire. 

So what were you planning on doing this weekend now it is Springtime and you can get out and about?

I have a suggestion!     How about a little meander around the area to take photos of the places the rest of us haven't seen?

Villages:

Aston Rowant, 4.5 miles from the River Thame in South Oxfordshire;   Beckley, 4.5 miles North East from the centre of Oxford;   Broughton, 2.5 miles South West of Banbury;  Long Wittenham, 3 miles North of Didcot and 3.5 miles South East of Abingdon;   Nether Worton, 5.6 miles South of Broughton Castle;  Stanton Harcourt, 4 miles South East of Witney and 6 miles West of Oxford;  Steeple Aston, 12 miles North of Oxford (see also Rousham Park House & Garden).

Country Houses:

Kingston Lisle, 5 miles West of Wantage;   Milton Manor in the village of Milton, 4 miles South of Abingdon;   Rousham Park House & Garden near Steeple Aston (see above villages);  Stonor Park, 5 miles North of Henley on Thames.

Any takers?  Anyone willing to take up the challenge?   Really looking forward to seeing some great photos POE'rs!Cool

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 14:08 on 17th March 2011

Hi Cathyml

just read your post from yesterday, although I don't live in or around Oxfordshire I am certainly up for a challenge,

I have the map out already and weather looks good for Saturday, so bike out kit on and away we go.  watch this space. Hope to can get some good pics.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 14:31 on 17th March 2011

G R E A T!  (I actually hoped you might see this as you were looking for places to go to on your bike, lol!).Smile

I hope the weather is kind to you and you can find the places and get some really nice photos.

You might also be interested in the two threads

Brympton D'Evercy & Yeovil, Somerset

and Arbury Hall & Nuneaton, Warwickshire

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 20:13 on 17th March 2011

Hello again,

Have looked at the others too, yeovil is along way from where we live ,but ,when longer days come we will be heading off in that direction.

And Warwickshire is just up the road from where I live, so that is easy peasy, I'll see what we can do next week-end.Smile

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:04 on 22nd August 2013
On 16th March 2011 17:33, cathyml wrote:

Should it be Oxfordians or Oxfordites or something more exotic? lol

I just stumbled on this old post..surely the correct name of an inhabitant of Oxford or Oxfordshire is an Oxonian.

The old name of Oxford was Oxenford and the Latinized name is Oxonia.

The British Postal System uses the old name and letters posted in Oxfordshire are still postmarked (Town name) , Oxon 

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 23:01 on 22nd August 2013

You're right Edward, it is Oxonian. I wonder how Ron and I missed this post, way back in 2011?

I know all of the little villages mentioned by cathyml. Maybe when I go back home I can check out some of them and take some pictures. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:13 on 22nd August 2013
On 22nd August 2013 23:01, Sue H wrote:

I know all of the little villages mentioned by cathyml. Maybe when I go back home I can check out some of them and take some pictures. 

Some of those village are noteworthy as landmarks, or rather their communications masts are. The TV transmitting antenna at Beckley is visible for miles around Oxford as is the communications tower on the Chiltern escarpment near Aston Rowant, and the smaller tower at Christmas Common. I can tell what the weather will be by how clear the view is to those masts. 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:52 on 23rd August 2013

The red lights from the Beckley mast shine through our bedroom window Edward! Hmmn, red lights in your bedroom! lol

Well not really, but it's only 3 miles away from us and as you suggest it can be seen towering above everything, a landmark for sure.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:25 on 23rd August 2013

Red lights in the bedroom can lead to trouble, Ron, but in this case it's only the TV mast, lol

I know its a good day if I can see the Beckley mast from Watlington Hill, about 14 miles away. 

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 14:48 on 23rd August 2013

Oh, I go to Watlington Hill every time I visit. Got to love those Red Kites.

I had friends who lived in Beckley. Good pub with some nice eats there, if I remember. Isn't it through Beckley that you access Otmoor?

Oh, I'm so so homesick now,