Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Chelsea Bridge - Viewed From Albert Bridge

Chelsea

in the county of Greater London

Okehampton Castle in Devon

Okehampton

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Need some feedback please

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Darrell James
Darrell James
quotePosted at 05:35 on 11th May 2011
On 10th May 2011 19:32, cathyml wrote:

Hi Darrell, a very warm welcome to the POE site. 

I have found the birth of an Elsie May Corless in the Sept quarter 1894 in Barrow in Furness, Lancashire

I think this is her in 1901 at 22 Paradise Street, Barrow in Furness: Father Henry Corless born 1860 Lancaster, Lancashire, Inn keeper and mother Lizzie A Corless born 1865 Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, together with 5 other siblings and a servant.

Henry Corless married Lizzie Adelaide Brough in the March quarter (that means Jan/Feb/March) 1886 in Barrow in Furness.

This could be her in 1911 at Sowerby Lodge Farm, Barrow in Furness, she is a servant to the farmer and his family.

The only E M Corless I could find taking passage to Canada is listed as Mrs E M Corless leaving Liverpool on the 10 Oct 1919 on the Scandinavian bound for Montreal Canada.

I could probably go further back for you in England and I am sure that Paul will spring into action here with the Canadian information.

What ever info you could find for me would be great. Here in Canada and there in England. I would love to travel to England one day and see where she was raised and meet any ancestors that might still live over there.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 08:57 on 11th May 2011

I think there are a handful of people named Corless in Barrow in Furness today; equally, it is a very popular old Lancashire name and well entrenched there. 

The places  Scathporth/ Scotport for Henry of 1823 I think is actually Southport, Lancs. I also think going back further in your family you're going to end up in County Galway, Ireland where the name is also very popular, and likely early family members had left Ireland and sailled to Liverpool getting the name established in Lancs.

But, it must be said, there are English Corless origins too, under various spellings over the centuries; for example, in 1651 during the Civil War at the Battle of Worcester, a Col. Carless saved the life of King Charles II.

I trust you've heard of the artist Marianne Corless who is an instructor  at the University of Calgary? 

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:00 on 11th May 2011

I wonder if, now we have provided Darrell with quite a bit of information, he and his mother wouln't enjoy searching forwards and backwards from here themselves.

Paul must have lots of places he searches which I don't have but I can suggest looking at:-

FREEBMD - This is a free site and is a list of births, marriages and deaths in England from 1837 - it is not totally complete yet but a very good place to start searching.

Findmypast has the English census from 1841 to 1911 - this is a subscription site or pay as you go.  It also has a lot of military information, births marriages and deaths and some parish registers and passenger lists.  They are adding more information all the time.

Ancestry offer subscriptions to UK information, USA info or worldwide coverage and offers a great deal of information.

You will find many more Genealogical sites available - some with free information and some are subscription/pay as you go sites, the big thing is to enjoy what you are doing, lol.

Then of course there are the search engines - try googling a name - it is often surprising what comes up - although often of course nothing does, lol.

Just a word of warning though Corless is very often misspelt so try all the variations, i.e. Carless, Corlass, etc.

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 15:35 on 11th May 2011

If we may point Darrell and his mother in the right direction on the James side-----James James was born 1869 in Georgina Township, Ont and was a farmer.  His parents were Benjamin James and Elizabeth, and had a sister Elizabeth. b.1865 Ont.

He married Charlotte Henderson in Toronto 10 January, 1893. She was born 1867 in Brock Township, Ont. Her parents were Joseph Henderson and Jane.

I think Joseph Henderson is American, born 1842, but in his late teens, living in Brock Township Ont. where Charlotte was born. I think the reason Joe arrived in Brock was his grand parents, John Henderson (1787) and Eliza (1793) both from Ireland were living there.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th May 2011 02:23
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:21 on 11th May 2011

This 1874 marriage of Ben/widow and Elizabeth/widower is interesting.

Hamilton, Ont 25 may, 1874---Benjamin James from Georgina Township, son of William and Charlotte, married Elizabeth Doty, daughter of Abraham and Hester Kurts, parents both from the US.

But, 1871 Census-- Benjamin and another Elizabeth are living in Georgina township with their children including James James aged 2. Interestingly next door is the Doty family. 

In 1881 we learn Elizabeth was born c.1831 and her nationality background is German i.e.  her maiden Kurts name.

I think what has happened is he's married an Elizabeth c.1856-ish and a second Elizabeth in 1874. Hence though the children's names appear the same, their apparent mother Elizabeth has two different years of birth; 1836 then later 1831. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th May 2011 02:32
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:41 on 11th May 2011
most amazing paul   10 out of 10Smile
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:58 on 11th May 2011
Thank you James; I can only suggest to Darrell and his mother, a lot of what they want to learn is in Ontario, at least on the James family side. James James had a slew of brothers and sisters they can start tracking down too, if  they wish.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th May 2011 02:35
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 11:49 on 12th May 2011

Benjamin was born 25 April 1825  in Shropham, Norfolk.  He'll end up with 9 brothers/sisters. 

Sometime between 1835-38, the family had moved to Sherbrook Co., Quebec. On 31 May, 1844 Benjamin married Mary Ann Alden at Eaton Baptist church, in Quebec. His siblings John and Hannah James are witnesses.

Sometme prior to 1852, the family--or some of them--move to Ontario; his father William possibly died in Quebec, or soon after moving to Ont.

Benjamin's mother was Charlotte Baker Hassell born 1797 at Griston, Norfolk, and baptised there 24 Sept 1797 at St Peter and St Paul's church. She died in Ontario between 1871 and 1881.

As mentioned, I think Darrell will find a lot of early James family history in Quebec/Upper Canada and Ontario/Canada West records some of which might be quite tragic but a good insight into these pre-Confederation years.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:12th May 2011 15:59
Darrell James
Darrell James
quotePosted at 12:38 on 12th May 2011

Wow!!! You guys have been just amazing and I thank you so much for all the info you have passed onto to me. If you find anything else please keep it coming.

Thanks again

Darrell James

Cannington Ontario Canada

Please login to post to this thread...