Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Hallsands

Hallsands

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Longevity in the UK

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:36 on 20th August 2011
i think its time for the top shelf dave what say you -care to join us marjorie.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:39 on 20th August 2011
I certainly agree sir, and the company of a ldy will be more thn welcome. One minor problem I gotta go in a minute. Mrs J need s the internet for a work based course of some sort, but i will think of you while i enjoy my tipple
Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 15:22 on 21st August 2011
I agree with Dave. My old Yorkshire granny always said :"a little bit o' what you fancy does ye good", and I agree. Just don't over indulge!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 16:51 on 21st August 2011
An excellent saying too Syd!!! The only problem is trying not to over indulge ! ! !  Not always easy
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:58 on 21st August 2011
its never easy dave,i say everything is ok in moderation.Smile
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:38 on 21st August 2011
Very true sir! Won't be sampling tonight, early start in the morning.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 08:21 on 22nd August 2011

One idea put forward by a Prof. Barker is your future health, thus longetivity too, starts off in the womb......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14576961

Cathy E.
Cathy E.
quotePosted at 12:25 on 22nd August 2011
That was a very interesting read Paul. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of all the celebrity women who try to lok thin during their pregnancies and end up with tiny babies. It makes you wonder if they are malnurished or not fully developed.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 22:36 on 22nd August 2013

There haven't been many posts recently to this thread, but the greatest challenge to longevity seems to be lack of exercise and obesity. This seems to be particularly affecting the young, so we may be storing up trouble ahead

Children need more exercise (BBC Site)

My own observation is that children do not seem to venture outdoors very much on their own these days (maybe because of the fears of over-protective parents), or possibly the attraction of indoor activities like computer games.

In my own younger days, a long time ago, children would be out from dawn to dusk on their own in summer and rarely did any harm befall them. The youngsters of today seem to be cocooned and kept from enjoying the traditional leisure activities of rambling, cycling, swimming, blackberrying, fishing etc. On those rare occasions they do get involved in such things, there is usually an anxious parent hovering nearby.

It seems we have become fearful of allowing our children to do anything on their own. It is probably not helped by the encroachment of the Health & Safety mentality, which has resulted in all the exciting (but potentially dangerous) playground apparatus being removed from children's play areas.     

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:57 on 23rd August 2013

What a true statement that is Edward.

Blackberrying no less and when we got home with a 'mushroom punnet' full of Blackberries it was a question of Blackberry and Apple pie, or Blackberry Jam, or Wine...

Those were the days!