Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Llanberis, Gwynedd, Wales. View across the lake early in September 2005

Llanberis

in the county of Gwynedd

Stained Glass Church Window

Berkeley

in the county of Gloucestershire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Longevity in the UK

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 21:30 on 23rd August 2013
In the late forties we used to be out all day during  the summer months we would go wimberry and blackberry picking with no thought of being molested. 
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Colleen Warne
Colleen Warne
quotePosted at 21:37 on 23rd August 2013
I find  the English seem to live long lives at least the older generation I used to check the obits in The Telegraph they had interesting biographies on each person. Dont know if this is just me or there are any statistics.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:41 on 23rd August 2013

I think we all have our little stories and tales relating to our youth -i was brought up in a small mining village with plenty of farms around -we went pea picking,poyato picking,apple-picking -always something to do-i really enjoyed my early life --all kids want to do to-day is play on computers.Smile

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 22:50 on 23rd August 2013

My uncle (once or twice removed), lived until five days before his 100th brithday.  He only died then because his beloved wife had died a few months before and he was broken hearted.

He owned the mill in Wheatley, and right until the end he would whip up to the top of the mill on the wooden spiral stairs while I puffed and panted behind him. 

My dad lived into his 90's as well.  

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:54 on 23rd August 2013
Made of grit them days Sue.Smile
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:18 on 24th August 2013
On 23rd August 2013 22:50, Sue H wrote:

My uncle (once or twice removed), lived until five days before his 100th brithday.  He only died then because his beloved wife had died a few months before and he was broken hearted.

He owned the mill in Wheatley, and right until the end he would whip up to the top of the mill on the wooden spiral stairs while I puffed and panted behind him. 

My dad lived into his 90's as well.  

I have just Googled Wheatley Mill and it comes up with this website 

Is this the mill you are talking about Sue? If it is, it must have been a fascinating place to explore, although from the pictures on their website, a lot of restoration work had to be done in recent years. 

Edited by: Edward Lever at:24th August 2013 00:30
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:28 on 24th August 2013
On 23rd August 2013 22:54, james prescott wrote:
Made of grit them days Sue.Smile

Nice one James, very droll
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 00:53 on 24th August 2013
On 24th August 2013 00:18, Edward Lever wrote:  

I have just Googled Wheatley Mill and it comes up with this website 

Is this the mill you are talking about Sue? If it is, it must have been a fascinating place to explore, although from the pictures on their website, a lot of restoration work had to be done in recent years. 

That's the one, Edward.

I was at school in the 70's when they first started raising money for the renovation, and as you can see, it needed allot of work.

I was there for the installation of the sails but not the cap. It s now a working mill.

Many years of work paid off.  

Colleen Warne
Colleen Warne
quotePosted at 02:46 on 24th August 2013
My grandfather a old English gentleman from a bygone era used to fry his eggs or whatever put the frying pan on the floor the cat would lick it clean hed hang it back up. He lived to be 97
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:41 on 24th August 2013

My uncle, mentioned above, never had a day in hospital, no surgeries and lived to be 100. 

I'm 54, had ten surgeries and almost died once, Now I'm batttling tooth and nail to beat cancer.

Wish I had been born healthy.

Still, I intend to live into my 80's at least, and wouldn't mind 90's if I could keep my mind healthy.