Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Porlock.

Porlock

a Seaside Town in the county of Somerset

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

LAKE DISTRICT UNDER THREAT.!!!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:27 on 4th April 2013
    Yes it is true, South Norwood Tourist Board ( a  South London area ) has laid claim to the Lake District T.B.  that they have no right to call the beautiful area in Cumbria the Lake District as there is only one lake there and that they have more right to the name as they have 2 lakes. I would suggest an area in South London is only likely to have a couple of pitiful ponds in comparrison.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:50 on 4th April 2013

That is very true Vince. But I think you will find that there is only ONE designated lake.....and that is LAKE BASSENTHWAITE, just north of Keswick.....all the others are MERES, WATERS or TARNS.....WinderMERE, Coniston WATER, Rydal WATER, DerwentWATER, Loughrigg TARN, Blea TARN, ButterMERE

Roll on 4th MAY........although the Lakeland Meandere will have to think of a new title for inane drivel that you will be subjected to.......Wonder if Ruth is taking a laptop with her next week to give us a running commentary. . . . .Wink

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:55 on 4th April 2013
 Indeed, and that is the basis of the claim, the story is on the latest news when you visit BBC local radio sites.
Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 23:49 on 4th April 2013

A glance in the dictionary might be helpful. Both the Oxford English and the Collins define meres and tarns as lakes.

By that account, Cumbria can claim anywhere up to 80 lakes.The Lake District is famous worldwide and it would be ridiculous to change the name now.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 23:52 on 4th April 2013
Too right Ken. I shudder to think how many other areas would have to change their names too if this was to happen. Never heard such a load of b*****ks in my life. It's been the Lake District for so long it will always be that in everybody's eye no matter what they call it.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:50 on 5th April 2013

LOL@Dave but I do agree...

Then we could change our name to W Heat Ley, Ox Fords Hire...

I agree, b....y daft idea from some pen pusher with nothing better to do. Pity they can't keep their nose out of other peoples troughs.

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 14:55 on 5th April 2013
Yes i also agree --far too many changes these --not for the better i say.Kiss
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 15:32 on 5th April 2013
I'm going to the Lake District on Monday, not the Mere District, Water District, or the Tarn District - South Norwood Tourist Board, keep your sticky beak out of matters that are nothing to do with you.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 16:16 on 5th April 2013

They are only jealous 'cos they have nothing any note to brag about. I'm well and truly with Ruth......keep your noses out ! ! ! ! !

MikeT
MikeT
quotePosted at 18:02 on 5th April 2013
There is only one Lake District, and that is in the beautiful area of Cumbria, and it will always be known as that, WHATEVER!!!