Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Lancing College Chapel

Lancing

in the county of West Sussex

The Tamper locomotive.

Ealing

in the county of Greater London

The old Co-operative Society buildings at Ripley, Derbyshire.

Ripley

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Quick Question - Quarries?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 23:14 on 18th August 2013

Except Stonehenge.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
MikeT
MikeT
quotePosted at 23:22 on 18th August 2013
There are different kinds of stone around the country Ruth, York Stone, Portland Stone, Cotswold Stone, etc etc
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 23:27 on 18th August 2013

Yes, you can see that each area of the country has its own type of stone in the buildings.  I just wondered if they knew where all the medieval quarries were.  I guess the answer is - everywhere!

Thanks, Mike.

MikeT
MikeT
quotePosted at 23:43 on 18th August 2013
I would imagine the quarries are documented somewhere Ruth 
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 00:52 on 19th August 2013

Portland stone from Dorset was, effectively, London's local stone. Examples of it there would be St Paul's cathedral, the Cenotaph, the British Museum, the National Gallery, the Bank of England. In the US, the UN building in New York is made of Portland stone too.

Wiltshire also supplied a lot of stone for buildings from undrground quarries; the buildings of Bath are one example. One of these very large underground Wiltshire quarries became a government bunker for decades during the Cold War.

The history of underground England can be just as interesting as what you can see on top. In West Wycombe, a former chalk quarry was used by the nortorious Hell Fire Club run by Francis Dashwood. One of his occasional visitors and friend was Post Master General, Benjamin Franklin, and I doubt US school text books will inform students of their antics down the caves west of High Wycombe, Bucks. 

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:19th August 2013 00:54
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 01:17 on 19th August 2013
Winchester Cathedral is built from stone from the Isle of Wight. Salisbury Cathedral is built mostly from Chilmark stone in Wiltshire with additional Purbeck stone from Dorset. 
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 01:55 on 19th August 2013

Paul, my friend!  How good to see you.  Hope you are well.  A wealth of info as usual.  You're a walking Encyclopedia Britannica, or should I say Wikipedia.  lol

Have you read The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett?  When I saw those pictures, this book is what it made me think of.  What do you know about York Minster?  It's kind of a darker stone, but not as darkish, grayish as a lot of the Yorkshire buildings are.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 01:58 on 19th August 2013

One of his occasional visitors and friend was Post Master General, Benjamin Franklin, and I doubt US school text books will inform students of their antics down the caves west of High Wycombe, Bucks. 

LOL, yes, we are brought up to only know the stories of how wonderful our "heroes" were and only the wars we win. 

Doug Bainbridge
Doug Bainbridge
quotePosted at 04:02 on 19th August 2013
As a kid I used to play in an abandoned quarry, later on I went to work in a Lead mine of all things. The later may explain a lot of things!

Edited by: Doug Bainbridge at:19th August 2013 04:03
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 04:27 on 19th August 2013

Great to see you here Paul.

I have a cousin who lives in Box, wilts, I believe he sits pretty much on top of that bunker.