Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Queen Victoria

Southampton

in the county of Hampshire

St. Mary the Virgin Church, Reading

Reading

in the county of Berkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Carbon Monoxide !!!!!!!!!!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 19:51 on 26th November 2013

Glad you're with us to tell the tale, and no we don't have one, but hubby says that we should put it on the list.

Thank you for sharing, and maybe saving another life. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:28 on 26th November 2013

Thanks Sue,

Update  :-   The man, he returneth, he put on new seal, that not the problem, the boiler- il est mort !

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:43 on 26th November 2013

Oh dear Vince. Our old boiler died 3 years ago, I'd being trying to keep a slight water leak under control for ages, when we had our yearly service and the gas chappie turned up the pressure, my secret was out - it got condemned. 

BG gave us a quote for a replacement boiler fitted and working for a few pence short of £5000 Surprised We rang a chap who came recommended in our village magazine, exact same boiler, fitted and working, including some fancy filter system to clean out the grunge £3500, pays to shop around. I've also noticed the new boiler is much more efficient and uses a lot less gas.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:33 on 26th November 2013
On 26th November 2013 21:43, rustyruth wrote:

Oh dear Vince. Our old boiler died 3 years ago, I'd being trying to keep a slight water leak under control for ages, when we had our yearly service and the gas chappie turned up the pressure, my secret was out - it got condemned. 

BG gave us a quote for a replacement boiler fitted and working for a few pence short of £5000 Surprised We rang a chap who came recommended in our village magazine, exact same boiler, fitted and working, including some fancy filter system to clean out the grunge £3500, pays to shop around. I've also noticed the new boiler is much more efficient and uses a lot less gas.

Isn't it strange that BG always quote £5000, when the actual cost of a wall-mounted condensing boiler is about £650 ? There are other costs on top of the boiler itself, including labour, but everyone I know gets quoted £5000 by BG. Most people I know have used a local installer and got the job done for half the price.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 15:58 on 27th November 2013
The £3500 included a load of new pipe work as well Edward, the BG quote didn't, that would have been extra.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 16:04 on 27th November 2013
On 27th November 2013 15:58, rustyruth wrote:
The £3500 included a load of new pipe work as well Edward, the BG quote didn't, that would have been extra.

I can believe that. It shows the wisdom of getting independent quotes.  
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:26 on 27th November 2013
Fitted the unit today, thanks Vince for the reminder!
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 20:52 on 27th November 2013
  Good Job Ron.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:26 on 11th December 2013
  NEWS REPORT !!   5:30 am today, guesswhat?  Carbon monoxide sensor makes like an alarm clock and by six this morning we were cut off again. Re check during the morning and all clear and a replacement sensor fitted- bad news our next door neighbour had her meter disconnected at the same time this morning being semi-detached and as she is away for a day or two re-connecting took a bit of an issue but sorted late this afternoon UNTIL later this evening another engineer turns up with a call out but even though it is clear it is a muddle up somewhere at the control office , he could not get in to check so OFF goes her gas again until they can get access again and all because our alarm went off again- it does make one feel a bit awkward does it not. Throw in the fact that I had another dentist day - not one of my best days.
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:01 on 11th December 2013
 Thanks John, this is only one of a number of issues that have attacked us throughout 2013- glad to see the back of it, trouble is there is that C word thing and that is another story.