Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Sheerness, on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent

Sheerness

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Thatcher Exposed

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Mary Lipscombe
Mary Lipscombe
quotePosted at 16:36 on 19th January 2014

You had to live in the North of England, as I do, to understand the devastation caused by Margaret Thatcher, she detested the working class, maybe because her roots were working class.

As for Arthur Scargill, love him or loathe him, long before the terrible strike of 1984, he did some very good work for the miners and workers in the pit.  My dad was a bricklayer in the pit, and he always said (and he knew what he was talking about) that Arthur Scargill had obtained miners's pension or at least increased the value.

Dr. Margaret Scargill is a GP in my home town, I do not know her, but I know that she has a very good name for caring and being an excellent doctor.  I reckon the money spent on her education was money well spent. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 18:44 on 19th January 2014
On 19th January 2014 16:36, Mary Lipscombe wrote:

...she detested the working class, maybe because her roots were working class.

I do not think this statement is true, although many would like to interpret her actions as indicating that this is the case. The Miners Strike became a cause celebre for the hard left, and the polarisation of opinion caused much acrimony. It is true that much of the anecdotal hatred for Margaret Thatcher comes from that time.

Margaret Thatcher was indeed from a modest background, but believed passionately in the possibility of self-improvement. The Council House purchase policy was intended to help those on low incomes to own their own home, and many working-class people gained a step on the housing ladder this way.   

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...