Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St. Michael & All Angels Church, Pinhoe near Exeter in Devon.

Pinhoe

in the county of Devon

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Quality

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:04 on 20th May 2019
On 19th May 2019 15:32, Rod Burkey wrote:

I can't help but notice that batch submissions of repetitive image are still being posted and approved here >>>>  "Is anyone else going to find 30 odd mediocre snaps interesting? Will I ever look at them again myself?"  

It is incredibly off putting and boring.

Does anyone else agree?  

In a word, Yes
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 10:59 on 20th May 2019

We will be changing how things show on the homepage and in the latest images section.

Images will be grouped if more than x number are uploaded by the same member, with a 'Expand Group' link, so that viewing the rest will be optional.

Images will be grouped by Member, the Date the image goes live on the site, and the Location, so if Joe Bloggs uploaded 20 images of Warwick Castle on Monday 10th June 2019, they will all be grouped under 1 image on the homepage/latest image section, with an expand link to see the rest. This should resolve the issue.

poe
quotePosted at 11:28 on 20th May 2019

Unfortunately I am not sure when we can get this done however, as we've just spent a considerable amount getting some important fixes done on the site that have been in the pipeline for a long time. Most of it on the backend but some user functionality too, including having the 'User Created Picture Tours' functionality completely recoded so that it now works much better and works on mobile devices too. I've just been putting that back on the site today.

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 13:30 on 20th May 2019

I well appreciate that POE have a very hard job maintaining the site.

In a perfect situation, the members would show a little more compassion for those trawling through their endless boring and repetitive snap shots of where they have been out to the previous day. 

Remember the days of being "treated" to someone's holiday slide show? Walking into a room with a projector screen set up never boded well. Thanks for those toe curling memories Granddad! 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 17:17 on 20th May 2019
Perhaps limiting the number of images that a member may upload per day would be a good start. This would encourage members to only upload their best work. I would be quite happy with a limit of 5 per day, which is far in excess of my capability of producing good quality images. In fact, my average upload rate over the period of my membership has been about one image per week !
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 18:56 on 20th May 2019

I agree that a daily limit would deter the numbers of poor images.  Well said Edward. 

poe
quotePosted at 19:01 on 20th May 2019

5 images per day is the current limit for non-premier members. Part of what Premier members pay for is having that cap removed, as well as being able to post a website link in their profile.

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 20:13 on 20th May 2019

Thanks for explaining the cap rule. The problem will persist, as long as Premier Members submit sub standard pictures, as some certainly are doing right now. 

That is my stance on this and I cannot say any more. 

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:41 on 21st May 2019
Unfortunately, the removal of a cap for Premier Members seems to be in some cases a Carte Blanche for uploading large numbers of very similar images. Five uploads per day should be enough for anyone. Quality not quantity. 
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:53 on 1st June 2019

I am really saddened by the truly dire standard of photography here. Batch submissions images that are not even in focus, have little or no composition, and boring repetitive snap shots seem to be the norm. 

As I type this, I realise that practically nobody will even read this.

If the standards have any chance of improving then radical pruning must be done in my opinion. Rejection of poor quality images would help.

Saying all this gives me no pleasure at all, and I only do it because I care.

It would be good to hear maybe an apposing view from someone else.