Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Dover

Dover

a Seaside Town in the county of Kent

Ironbridge

Ironbridge

in the county of Shropshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Security risk with site?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 17:17 on 22nd June 2011

Been using AVG free for years and never had a problem.

Had Macafee at work until recently but was a crock of sh...........

would recommend AVG to anyone

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:22 on 22nd June 2011
I don't think I have picked up any spammers from POE!  I'm using Avast which is also a free programme and haven't had any problems and it's updated almost daily!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:02 on 22nd June 2011

As mentioned earlier in the thread the Free version from AVG is brilliant, never need worry about it once installed, and that doesn't take very long to do!

So why are you still paying for anti-virus software at £20 to £30 a pop when you could donate £15 to POE to become a Premier Member, and keep the other £5 to £15 in your pocket?

What are you waiting for, do it now please...

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 03:06 on 23rd June 2011

Not weird John; what you might expect from someone alledgedly in Africa with their scams.   here she is on a US site a few months ago-----what a surprise..........

Hello,

My name is Patricia i saw your profile here today and became interested in you,i will also like to know you the more and establish a relationship that is based on truth and trust with you i want you to send an email to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.Here is my email address [ as above] I am waiting for your mail to my email address above please i have something very very important i will like to tell you.I believe we can start from here!

Start relieving you of your money, if you ask me for anyone foolish enough to take the bait; photo likely taken from the web and could easily be a man that's written this.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:23rd June 2011 03:20
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:14 on 23rd June 2011

Had a couple of these scams myself, no surprise there.....They just geo deleted as soon as I saw them. There are a lot of gullible people around who fall for them though......and, as Paul indicates, resulting in no more money!!!!  By and large I very rarely open anything that appears in my Junk folder. There are ofcousre some obvious ones which have been misdirected but i usually find the Junk folder is just that....JUNK.

Africa, Nigeria in particulary, is well known for these scams. The Golden rule is 'if it reads too good to be true it probably is' delete it and forget about it.

quote | editPosted at 08:33 on 23rd June 2011
I sent the Admin Fee then the Tax Fee to the bank manager in Burkino Fasso.  He said that he would send me a cheque for £2.5 million to act as his partner in Europe.  Does anyone know if the post is slow as I have not received it yet.  Perhaps he sent it second class post ?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:56 on 23rd June 2011
Are you kidding Mick?

quote | editPosted at 10:22 on 23rd June 2011

Ron, The bank manager in Burkino Fasso was a common email, along with the Nigerian scammers !! For some reason those type of emails seemed to stop when I changed to a Mac.  Do not understand why.  Do you get many scammers ?

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 12:19 on 23rd June 2011
Mick,  I read somewhere once that Macs are not as susceptible because the virus writers (idiots in other words) write for the mass market of Microsoft. That also goes for Operating Sytems like Ubuntu Linux.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:44 on 23rd June 2011

No I don't Mick in answer to your question, and part of the reason that I don't is because I use the Free AVG anti-virus that sorts them out as they are incoming.

Now and again something genuine will get caught also, over zealous if you like, but as I always look at whats going on (certainly do not open any of them) I am very satisfied with the way AVG anti-virus works.

Updates are regular and automatic, the download is easy from the link that I posted above.