Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Riverside Walk, Gainsborough. View from Trent Bridge

Gainsborough

in the county of Lincolnshire

OULTON BROAD, NORFOLK BROADS

Oulton

in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Security risk with site?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

quote | editPosted at 13:44 on 23rd June 2011
Dave. I can understand that  Mac's are not hit by virus writers etc hence I do not have security.  My point was that people who send emails asking for things like "give your bank account details and I send you x money" seem to have stopped.  Not that I am complaining !  I still get emails advertising viagara !
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 14:07 on 23rd June 2011
Yes, I get those as well ! ! !

quote | editPosted at 22:54 on 23rd June 2011
Why not just ignore it ?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 23:35 on 23rd June 2011

Okay, hopefully those of you who saw my response to the question raised by John Lawrence above, will understand how this nuisance factor is getting the email address of POE members. I have purposely deleted it now so as not to advertise the fact.

However, the new thread started today Is It A Scam, Why Not (POEIT) Ask POE Members For Their Opinion? is the place to air your views, exchange comments etc and hopefully the 'nuisance' will go away when he/she gets no response.

Chris and Sarah will however look at this feature to see if it can be appropriately changed.

Edited by: Ron Brind at:24th June 2011 00:18
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 00:20 on 24th June 2011

Thank you John.

Rest assured you will not be ignored, but there is only so much one can do at this time of night, as I'm sure you will appreciate.

Regards

Ron

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:17 on 24th June 2011

If these scams etc come into my junk box I just leave them. Very rarely do i open anything in there, only occasional misdirects. Any title that looks dodgy in my inbox i simply delete them. They tend to die off.

You certainly will not be ignored John, get some pics uploaded and wait for the comments. They may not be instant but they will come and the feeling you get when you read them gives you a buzz. I said to the wife after my first few submissions ' you don't know how good you are til you you get comments like these' they really give you a boost. Not the stuffy pompous comments you get in the magazines simply compliments from people who like photos for what they are.....Try a few of the forums, there are some fun people in them, even vergeing on the nutty. But the site is well worth supporting to keep it going. look forward to seeing the pics when you get the chance.

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:25 on 24th June 2011

Just had a quick look and you got some good pics on already John, with good comments. So you will already know the sensation i was referring to. POE is my first port of call when i get to work in the morning, like now, and when i get on the PC at home in the evening. Can be on it for ages if there is a good influx of new images and the forums are flowing.   'Get in quick before it's too late!!!' Rod Stewarts words in the song 'The Killing of Georgie'

poePremier Member - Click for more info
poe
quotePosted at 10:47 on 24th June 2011
On 23rd June 2011 22:32, John Lawrence wrote: .
My point about scam email appears to be being missed i have underlined the bit that says that this person is a user of this site and the email comes from POE this means that our addresses are open for all to see, i just think that there is an issue with this part of the site

Hi John,

FIrstly, sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the spam email you received through this website. We do have systems in place to combat spammers, but unfortunately some do occassionally get through. However once a spammer is clearly identified, they are quickly removed from the site and a ban put on their email address to try and prevent them signing up again and sending out more messages.

Referring to your comment above 'our addresses are open for all to see' - Please be assured this is not the case, as although the email was sent to you from this site, at no time at all did the spammer get to see your email address. They simply sent you a message using the contact form on our site. Our site then delivers the message to your email inbox without anyone (including the sender) getting to see what your email address is. The only way they would get to obtain it is if you were to reply to their message by clicking the reply button on the email.

Again, please be assured that all members email addresses are kept private at all times and have not been comprimised in any way. If you receive a spam message, simply DO NOT REPLY and they will not get hold of your email address.

It is a constant battle against spammers but we are trying our best to prevent it as much as we can.

All the best, and apologies again for the inconvenience,

Chris & Sarah

Karen Lee
Karen Lee
quotePosted at 10:49 on 24th June 2011
Hello John, just to reiterate what Dave has said, please ignore these e.mails they are no brainers and why let these scammers win. Luckily (touch wood) I havn't had any problems so far. Please carry on putting your wonderful pics on and look forward to a Happy Retirement and even more of your photos on the POE siteLaughing 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:15 on 24th June 2011

Thanks Chris and Sarah for putting the record straight for the members.

Your response includes information that I had not realized either, until now that is!