Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Jane Austen's Grave

Winchester

in the county of Hampshire

The Square

Beeston

in the county of Nottinghamshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Saving POE

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:22 on 27th May 2011
On 26th May 2011 12:54, poe wrote:

Forgot to add, that before we implement the image cap we will try and address these issues, and thanks for pointing them out to us..

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 19:18 on 27th May 2011
On 26th May 2011 11:39, cathyml wrote:

I think so many members have found POE because they google searched for something or somewhere in particular in England. 

In my case I was looking for pictures which would hopefully inspire paintings and I typed in something like "streams in England"! and found POE and so many gorgeous pictures to look at.  Been here ever since too, lol.

I have noticed that when pictures are removed it leaves just a bar with the title of the pic and the photographer but no picture, this shows up in quite a few of the forum threads which use pictures or showcases someone's photos.  It does the same in "My favourites" too.  So removing pictures leaves gaps in the system.

On a slightly different note - the more description given to each photograph the more Google hits are likely - so when adding your photos perhaps a good description of what is depicted in the photo could draw more visitors?   

Cathyml has brought up a point which I truly wish the takers of pics would follow.  Describe what is in the photo.  I viewed Sally Birch's set of pics of Glasgow and she described each one--made it so enjoyable.Apparently she liked my comments as she emailed me as so many of the photographers have.  If a pic comes along that is just so-so I don't put a comment on as tender feelings are involved.  Think I've said enough, and just pray we keep this wonderful site.  All of you are terrific people and that encourages tourism also.

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:25 on 27th May 2011
Hi Linda-Mary, Sally does give great details and Vince Hawthorn also gives great descriptions of his pics - it's like getting 2 for the price of 1.  A lovely image and a story telling us what it is all about.  I really appreciate that when I am unlikely to see the place for myself.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 19:30 on 27th May 2011

I agree, Cathy, I love when people add descriptions.  It's like a virtual tour, and one off the beaten tourist path with those who are most familiar with the areas. 

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 19:34 on 27th May 2011
On 26th May 2011 12:36, poe wrote:
On 26th May 2011 11:39, cathyml wrote:

I have noticed that when pictures are removed it leaves just a bar with the title of the pic and the photographer but no picture, this shows up in quite a few of the forum threads which use pictures or showcases someone's photos.  It does the same in "My favourites" too.  So removing pictures leaves gaps in the system.

Hi Cathy,

These gaps shouldn't be happening but we are aware of it. It's one of the jobs we will get round to eventually.

It is an enormous task to keep the site constantly maintained. From sorting bug fixes out to implementing new security patches for various sections of code, fixes for new versions of browsers etc everytime they come out, and so on and so on.

Aside from that there is approx 50,000 lines of programming code on the site, around 860 fields in the database, spread across 85 different tables with a total sum of 1.1 million records of data, and these figures are growing on a daily basis, all adding to the time and costs of running the site.

Deleting pictures shouldn't affect the tours though, just the forum and favourites page, as you have already pointed out.

OMG, Chris, I had no idea of all the technology involved.  I knew there was, but this is something that all of us no-techies knew nothing about.  It amazes me that you've been able to continue for so long without charging fees.  You and Sarah have my hearty thanks for all thie work for the enjoyment of us all.  xoxo

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:34 on 28th May 2011

Chris & Sarah that is an enormous amount of technical stuff to take care of besides the conceptualizing and producing of the initial site and keeping up with the growth and new ideas.  Even just looking at all the information you have inputted for every city, town, village and attraction is a huge undertaking.

Besides organising the linkages for every photograph and forum and there are so few glitches.  Amazing!  

This whole current situation must be a positive nightmare for you. We, as members, are only looking at the possible loss of a wonderful, informative and caring site - you are having to face the loss of 10 years of work, input, blood, sweat, tears and toil and a dream that came true.

However, because this is such a wonderful, caring community of members I am very positive they will all help in whatever way they can to ensure the continued survival and growth of POE.

Won't we members? It is entirely up to us now whether POE survives!

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 12:26 on 28th May 2011

For one I completely agree with Ruth And Cathy.  I have found so few glitches it is right amazing!  Chris & Sarah have put in this enormously technical site and I say Hurrah for PicturesofEngland.com to have this devoted couple having founded and cared for it for 10 yrs.  I would imagine that for them this site is like having a very demanding group of 10 children!  Perhaps those of us on a social network should go viral about POE and perhaps get people who will donate.  I keep hearing from people on FB that they "used to" go on POE.  I say dig into your pockets and cough up the pounds sterling!

Yes, Cathy, Sally and Vince give good descriptions.  Stephen does also, but I found photos of Glasgow with important structures in the pics and the description was 'Glasgow.'  I hope to visit but who knows if I will get to Glasgow?

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to mention a member who really puts his time in on the site.  That member is Ron Brind.  I call Ron what he called me in an earlier post--dear friend.

Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 15:56 on 28th May 2011

Wow what an amazing amount of work you have put into this website.

You both deserve medals for going above and and beyond the call of duty. I think we should ask Her Majesty to Knight you for your services to dear old England.

Please keep it up and hopefully the funds will keep coming in to allow you to keep it going. 

Linda-mary Sigley
Linda-mary Sigley
quotePosted at 10:23 on 29th May 2011
I should think that the Plows not only deserve knighthood but a bit of revenue from the crown.  They perform a genuine service to their country.  England is no longer the industrial powerhouse it once was, nor is the U.S.  But England is still the most beautiful country in the world.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:44 on 29th May 2011
Going to suggest it to Her Majesty then Linda-Mary? Great idea!