Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Penmon

Penmon

in the county of Isle of Anglesey

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Premier Members

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:01 on 28th March 2013

All opinions are worth something Martin and therefore worth airing, so keep 'em coming.This is something I know that Chris and Sarah have had on the back burner for a while now and i have to say i fully agree with in that some control, restriction...call it what you like....would be good, but might it be a deterrent also???? A very difficult one problem I fear. But at the end of the day a donation is simply that ....... and not a subscription. But as we can so clearly see there has been quite prolific uploading recently and as I said before, to which you allude, £15 doesn't buy a lot these days...  So why not go for the pleasure and satisfaction of knowing that you are doing your bit to keep this great site afloat......it is consciences that need to be pricked.

Another thought. . . . . another site i use has a 2 tier membership system....free or paid for. The main difference that I can see is that with the paid for membership you get to see your photos at a larger size than those of the free membership. This would require a certain amount of programming as always on a website but might be one route worth investigating to push people into donating

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Emanuele Ghisi
Emanuele Ghisi
quotePosted at 00:06 on 31st March 2013
On 28th March 2013 09:52, MIKE FREEMAN wrote:

Congratulations must go to Emanuele Ghisi David Swann and Mark 

Rutley for becoming the latest Premier Members. 

Thank you Mike!

a small donation of 15£ is the least that could do

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 11:06 on 31st March 2013

Thank you Emanuel and Mark, 

thanks also to Mike for getting the wooden spoon outLaughing

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:33 on 1st April 2013

I agree, well done Mike...and thank you to the new members for donating.

A thought...how about each one of us giving a POE friend a 'nudge' if they are not currently showing 'Gold Star' status. At least that way if they don't use the forums they will get the message, quite literally!

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 12:38 on 1st April 2013

In fact I have just 'nudged' a friend with the following message:

Dear ...

I have just suggested in the POE forum that we should perhaps 'nudge a friend' into making a donation to help keep the POE site running.

Chris and Sarah are struggling to keep on top of the huge hosting bill and therefore I ask as a friend for your help.

You can donate by clicking on any 'donate' button throughout the site.

Thanks in anticipation
Regards
Anna and Ron

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:05 on 1st April 2013

After the email nudge, a response from my friend just arrived and he has said he will definitely make a donation in May.

That is a result I reckon, but I'll be watching and if he doesn't donate in May I will remind him again.

Ken Marshall
Ken Marshall
quotePosted at 11:34 on 4th April 2013

I don't how POE survives. One person has uploaded over 7,000 photos to the site, another over 4,000, another over 3,000.Most of us only submit our best photos.

I donated money as soon as I joined. I willingly paid a fee on other websites where I posted photos.

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 14:11 on 4th April 2013
Ken glad I am not the only one who noticed that,it is just not on.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 16:11 on 4th April 2013
OK, I admit it, I am guilty of lapsing into no star status as I am sure many of you have noticed!  Sorry, but I have been rather cash strapped and watching my pennies!  And as you all know I can only join in the forums with an odd few old photos I posted years ago!  But I will squeeze the pennies to keep the site running and providing the joy of other's photos and joining in the fun of the forums! Embarassed

Edited by: cathyml at:4th April 2013 16:12
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:38 on 4th April 2013

I can't see anyone complaining Cath you do your fair share behind the scenes. Mine is duee soon also. But this is avery difficult subject. As I inferred previuously this is basically a FREE site with requests for donations.....NOT subscriptions. I think we can only rely on some consciences being pricked by these forum threads but i fear that some of the more prolific uploders do not enter the forums so we are p**ing in the wind. The subject of quality of images has crossed my mind before but as Ron has said before every photo submitted has meaning to the photographer and unless it is particularly bad or does not fit into the parameters as set by Chris and Sarah he has no reason to refuse them. I have noticed recentkly a=some B&W images appear and I thought B&W had been stopped some time ago!!!! I realise it is a very contentious issue and am not condoning those who upload lots of images and do not donate .... but what can we do. The most obvious is as C&S have been considering .....setting a limit for non Premier members. Maybe a two tier system similar to other sites.....GUEST (free member) and PREMIER (full member). The only problem I can see might be the loss of some members. 

Basically there is not an easy answer. A couple have suggested that we 'nudge' members when we make comments.....but I am not so sure about this because it might just antagonise memebers and off they will go.....