Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Taylor Park snow

St Helens

in the county of Merseyside

Mow Cop Castle, Staffordshire

Mow Cop

in the county of Staffordshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Poetry

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Harry E Wheeler
Harry E Wheeler
Posted at 20:55 on 4th July 2008

Glad you enjoyed "Nursery Rhymes", Ruth. It's 4.555am. here in Oz, Ruth.  Couldn't sleep...the pain in my side (enlarged spleen) was annoying me, so took a valium to help relax...am waiting for it to 'work'.

I enjoyed the banter between you and Denzil. I spent a number of years in Padstow, Jan...Are residents of Cornwall still referred to as Janners, Denzil?

I spent many hours in one of the then, two pubs in the town.  I was stationed as a navy man at a Naval air base.  It was named "Impregnable".  It was also a training camp manned (there's a conflict of terms!) by WRENS (Women's Royal Naval Service) It was months before someone discovered that the crew members were NOT impregnable, so it was renamed 'Vulture'

The township in Oz where I now live is known as 'Little Cornwall', and a bi-annual event held here is known as the Kernewek Lowender...you may wish to Google it!

I would swim at Treyarnon Bay...nearly drowned there once...I misread the sign which warned about the rip-tides.

By the way, I began writing a poem about you in my early days as a member...but I thouht you'd be offended...me, bein'new 'an all.

Feelin' tired now, so will crawl beneath the blankets...its quite cold at present.

Harry

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 21:01 on 4th July 2008

Hi Harry:

Hope you're feelin better soon.  I forgot - it's winter there. 

That's very fascinating history about your naval days.  LOL!  Did you drink scrumpy while you were there?  LOL.

As for the poem, I don't offend easily, so I'd love it.  Your stuff is wonderful!

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
Posted at 21:03 on 4th July 2008
Lyn, romance is what we did when we were 17-20 year olds. Wish I could remember how we did it. Romance I mean.
L
L
Posted at 21:11 on 4th July 2008
On 4th July 2008 21:03, Peter Evans wrote:
Lyn, romance is what we did when we were 17-20 year olds. Wish I could remember how we did it. Romance I mean.

Oh yes I vaguely remember now, way back in the recesses of my mind, thats what its called before you get married, then its downhill all the way after that LOL
L
L
Posted at 21:13 on 4th July 2008
Hope your feeling better soon Harry Smile
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 21:13 on 4th July 2008
My hubby bought me a red rose today.  And Denzil's writing me a poem tomorrow.  (Hope a romantic one, but ya never know around here).  LOL!
L
L
Posted at 21:21 on 4th July 2008
On 4th July 2008 21:13, Ruth Gregory wrote:
My hubby bought me a red rose today.  And Denzil's writing me a poem tomorrow.  (Hope a romantic one, but ya never know around here).  LOL!
My hubby bought me a new t.shirt, about 3 sizes too big so he took it for himself.......romance is dead? too right lol Surprised
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 21:23 on 4th July 2008
Send your hubby to Dr. D., Lyn. 
Denzil Tregallion
Denzil Tregallion
Posted at 21:26 on 4th July 2008
Yes Lyn send him to me
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
Posted at 21:44 on 4th July 2008

I got my wife a T shirt much too big for her, But she still wouldnt let me get in with her. There was penty of room too.

Yes, Romance, the thing that we did every night before marriage, and once a month after, if we were lucky. Thats it isnt it?