Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Autumn at Colemere near Ellesmere, Shropshire

Colemere

in the county of Shropshire

The landscape over Baslow, Derbyshire

Baslow

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Is Photography Art ?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 19:07 on 7th December 2010
I've always believed that art is a matter or interpretation and thus, I believe that photos can qualify as art equally with some of the various other accepted forms of art( i.e.  woodcrafted, metals, pottery etc). I think one aspect of photo versus some other forms of art, which may not qualify photos as art, may be in respect to the ability of photos to be so electronically manipulated thus creating an entirely different picture than the one taken. Artists do touch-up their works, whether that is clay, metals, woods or oil paintings, but the degree of enhancement changes allowable or accessable to them is quite different from those available to photos and thus maybe photos have an advantage the others don't have. It's still art tho. This is just my opinion, of course, and this opinion is based on the fact that I do photography as my form of art and still I support the other various forms of the arts. Art, in any form, is vital to humanity, as a form of expression, as seen thru the years/ generations.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Iain Mavin
Iain Mavin
quotePosted at 04:16 on 8th December 2010
I completely agree with you Beth, Art is art no matter what format or style If it's a photograph the art is in the photographers eye who saw the picture just as a painter sees a scene to paint - we just do it quicker ie in 1/250 sec LOL
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 12:57 on 10th December 2010

Seem to remember having a similar conversation on here in the past! ;o)

I think photography is lots of things to lots of different people! depending on the use of the photos. It can be what you want it to be ...much as drawing/painting is ...some like true to life paintings, others like abstract, some like both or the bit in between. To me its art!  i like taking photos of things that grab my eye ...and i see most things as a photograph, or painting! i like people to see it how i 'saw' it, sometimes we see things more in our minds, so although we are looking at a snowy path in the woods, its pretty to look at, but we also feel the atmosphere, i use photoshop, not to alter (although this can be fun) but to bring some of this 'atmosphere' back, to show how i felt at the time, by tweaking the saturation a little.

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 19:25 on 8th January 2011

I like using the different programs available for photos, and using photoshop, as Jason does also, I find the photos can be tweaked to correct my inability to keep them evenly balanced...but am not so sure about totally changing a photo to create a totally different picture from it...enhancing it to be quite different from the realistic photo it originally was.

Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 19:39 on 8th January 2011
I think it's art. I can take a simple photo and process the heck out of until I get something completely different. I love that I can change the atmosphere of the photo. BUT I do use Picnik to do what Beth does...correct the balance or crop a photo or just like Jason..tweek the saturation a bit. It's like polishing a diamond! Just want to make the photo a bit...."shinier" Wink
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:49 on 8th January 2011
James knows about 'shinier' he aint got no hair! Bone head eh? Lol
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:59 on 8th January 2011
It takes one to know one!!  Old English saying, lol.  Hey Ron??
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:01 on 8th January 2011
Now I want you to know that I had just had my hair cut in that photo! I really have got hair!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 20:02 on 8th January 2011
ive not got too much now ron i think i may have a bit more than you.Laughing
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:09 on 8th January 2011
Which one did you have cut, Ron?? LOL