Whaley Bridge

in the county of Derbyshire

Brightlingsea, Essex

Brightlingsea

a Seaside Town in the county of Essex

High Street, Blakeney, Norfolk

Blakeney

a Seaside Town in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

The apostrophe

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Brenda Harvey
Brenda Harvey
quotePosted at 04:36 on 17th October 2011
I've always thought Americans had poor language skills compared to the British. It's only gotten worse here, you know what I mean? That's one that I hear constantly. I want to say yes, of course I know what you mean. The one I think Syd mentioned is using the word "like" for no apparent reason. I do transcription work and I've noticed that the younger the person is, the more often they'll use it. "He was like thinking of going to the store." "I was like so happy to see him." Drives me crazy, especially hearing it over and over again during a two hour interview. Texting as well has caused the problem. In the obituary section of our online local newspaper there's a guestbook to write in and offer condolences. It's amazing how many write in "text." UR in my thoughts." "My thoughts are with U." It just looks sloppy or as if you were in too much of a hurry to write out the words. So sad.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 06:00 on 17th October 2011
Thanks Cathy, we aim to please.
You're right Brenda, the modern trends are anathema to people brought up with good English.
However, if you want to hear mangled English you should try listening to a South African radio program or TV news. Lest we start a civil war here we shall not go down that particular road. Suffice it to say we have some absolutely amazing pronunciation (got it right this time Ron!) spewing forth. Iwas watching a documentary on rowing on Saturday and several times the commentator referred the "cox-wain" instead of "coxun"
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:53 on 17th October 2011

About 20 years ago and before, English was spoken beautifully here, at least I thought so.  Now I cannot bear to listen to the radio or TV programmes because of the incredibly bad language and pronunciation skills!  I almost wish they would put sub titles so that I could read it, rather than having to hear it and try to translate the meaning!!

Enough said or like Syd mentioned we'll start a civil war!!

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 16:32 on 17th October 2011

Another thing that particularly irritates me is when people say "fink" instead of "think", etc.  If they have a genuine speech impediment then fair enough, but mostly it's just sloppy speech!

As for the apostrophe ....  I think it's all been said!!

Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 17:58 on 17th October 2011
Oh why can't the English learn to set a good example to people whose English is painful to your ears. Oh why can't the English learn to speak.  Pygmalian (My Fair Lady) George Bernard Shaw.

Edited by: Syd Harling at:17th October 2011 19:26
Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 18:52 on 17th October 2011
Sorry to correct you Syd, but I think it should be "whose English" and not "who's English".
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:11 on 17th October 2011
Lol Marjorie, I think you are right, I missed that!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:20 on 17th October 2011
It would be nice if some could make themselves understood even when speaking English
Syd Harling
Syd Harling
quotePosted at 19:23 on 17th October 2011

By gosh, I believe that was my mistake Marjorie. Thanks for the correction. Never mind "why can't the English learn to speak", why can't they learn to write proper. Garn, we'll 'ave to try 'arder innit so? I fink me trouble 'ill gie me a slap alongside th' ear 'ole fer that one. Cor blimy.

Cathyml do you think we should start a thread about seffican english? Or maybe not.

Marjorie Pope
Marjorie Pope
quotePosted at 19:33 on 17th October 2011
LOL Syd!!