Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Cheltenham

Cheltenham

in the county of Gloucestershire

A picture of Bardney

Bardney

in the county of Lincolnshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English traditions

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 18:07 on 20th March 2008

As Easter approaches and my shipment of (horrendously expensive) English Easter Eggs arrives, I wondered what English traditions you all keep.

As an VERY homesick English woman living abroad, I tend to keep as many traditions going as possible, I celebrate St. Georges Day (along with St Andrew, St David and St Patrick). I make Hot Cross Buns, Christmas pudding, hang the old fashioned Christmas decorations.

I fly the Union Jack every day, though it has to fly with the Stars and Stripes and not alone and has to be lower.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'm sure I'll add more.

So my friends, how English are you?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:37 on 20th March 2008

"I fly the Union Jack every day, though it has to fly with the Stars and Stripes and not alone and has to be lower". The cheek of it, this is England you are talking about! Just tell that guy Mush, or whatever his name is that we don't appreciate that!

As for traditions Sue, well I put the duster around the house whilst Anna sits back with her feet up, her pint at her side and a cigar smouldering in the ashtray whilst watching the tv, now thats pretty English, isn't it?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:39 on 20th March 2008
By the way, shouldn't that new thread have read English traditions, instead of Englsih? Makes me sigh!
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 19:56 on 20th March 2008

Of course it should be English. POE, can you change it?

Thanks for pointing that out for everyone, Ron. So helpful  !

I would have thought you were a Morris Dancer Ron, I can just see you prancing around with a funny hat and bells.

Actually, I love to watch the Morris Men dance, thuogh I get very little chance unless I come over in the summer time.

Do we have any Morris Men on the boards? Peter maybe?

I would have expected at least two pages of answers to my thread by now/ Where is everyone?

L
L
quotePosted at 20:28 on 20th March 2008
We stuff our faces every Sunday with a traditional Sunday roast, oh and we complain a lot, thats typically ENGLISH lol
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:49 on 20th March 2008

Hey Sue, you know me, helpful to the end! And never 'pranced' in my life Sue, couldn't even dance! But!! Did you know that Morris dancing actually originated here in Oxford, Yes William Kimber was the man, and he is buried in Quarry Churchyard very close to the grave of C. S. Lewis! I have friends who are Morris dancers but they don't ring my bells!

So c'mon fellow POE members are YOU a Morris dancer?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:51 on 20th March 2008
Now thats the power of POE! Did anybody notice the thread now reads English traditions?
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:58 on 20th March 2008

And LLLLyn, wwwwish i ccccould sssstuff mmmyself in yyyyour hhhhouse!

Stop beefing you're English, and you know I'm joking! Seriously, we might complain a lot within our own family, but who actually takes it to the limit? Well I can tell you I do for one! If you sold me a stamp without any gum, by golly would you hear it from me!

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 20:59 on 20th March 2008
On 20th March 2008 20:51, Ron Brind wrote:
Now thats the power of POE! Did anybody notice the thread now reads English traditions?

Thank you POE, for getting right on that. Now if you'd delete Ron's post about the mistake no one would be the wiser    (just kidding).

I remember the Kimber's. My mum use to take eggs to a Mrs kimber, she lived on Old Road right up from my nan. I have a picture of myself taken at C.S. Lewis grave. I told you my mum and dad were married at the church.

Sunday lunch sounds wonderful Lyn. Do you do Yorkshire pudding too?

How about dancing around the May pole? I guess we're all a little too old for that now.

L
L
quotePosted at 21:02 on 20th March 2008
Can sell you a second hand stamp half price if you like  Ron, you will have to supply your own glue though....what a bargain!!!