Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of Halifax

Halifax

in the county of West Yorkshire

Heage Windmill, Derbyshire

Heage

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Books

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Karen Pugh
Karen Pugh
quotePosted at 07:49 on 16th July 2008

Hi all

I am currently on with The Da Vinci Code, which i'm finding I can't put down.  What I would like to know is what is everyone else reading?  And can you recommend other books for me to tackle.

Karen

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 10:48 on 16th July 2008

I like reading books that are thought provoking or perhaps controversial, and the arguments put forward by various authors to substanciate their claims.  Currently though, I'm reading "Washington's War" by Michael Rose comparing the foreign policy of King Geroge III towards the American Colonies with the US Foreign policy today with regards to Iraq.

Controversial books would include " Dark Moon" by Mary Bennet and David Percy about the Apollo 11 moon photographs. Interesting reading whether or not you agree with their conclusions.  Also,  " Titanic, The Ship That Never Sank" by Robin Gardiner. A fascinating look at the RMS Titanic story, whether or not you agree that the White Star Line managed to swap their sister ships Titanic and Olympic with each other, thus was it really RMS Olympic that sank, as Mr Gardiner alledges.  "The New Pearl Harbor" by David Griffin raises many questions surrounding the tragedy of 9/11.

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 13:18 on 16th July 2008
I read Tolstoys "War and Peace". It took me six months. I had to keep going back to the last chapter to try and work out who was who. Those Russian names will get you. I still havnt worked out what it was all about.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 13:34 on 16th July 2008

What a great idea for a thread Karen!  I read voraciously and usually have more than one book going at a time. LOL!  My current few are:

The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits by Gregg Braden

The Moses Code by James Twyman

Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America by Charles Cerami

Generally I prefer non-fiction books on theology, spirituality, history, and biographies. 

Miya Buttreaks
Miya Buttreaks
quotePosted at 13:35 on 16th July 2008
Tha Sears cat-a-log when I is in tha out-house is good readin', an handy too.
Andy Edwards
Andy Edwards
quotePosted at 13:44 on 16th July 2008

One of the best books I ever read is ''a stone for Danny Fisher' by Harold Robbins. It was written in the early 1950s and is a fabulous book.

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 14:08 on 16th July 2008

My favourite book is The Green Darkness by Anya Seton. It is a historical novel but set in both present day and the 16th Century. It explores the idea of reincarnation about which I have always been fascinated. I read it first when I was a teenager but it has always stuck in my mind unlike other books I have forgotten about.

On the Harold Robbins topic Andy I had a funny story from when I was working in the library in my youth. An elderly lady and her sister came in bringing back their books and one of them handed me a Harold Robins book and told me it was filthy - full of sex and should be took off the shelf. When she came to check out her next lot of books she had got another one and her sister commented about what she had previously said. She promptly answered "I've only borrowed it to scoff at it!"

Miya Buttreaks
Miya Buttreaks
quotePosted at 14:37 on 16th July 2008
Andy, yu is a lookin' peaked...is yu alright?
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:20 on 16th July 2008

I really like historical fiction, so right now I am reading There be Dragon's by Sharon Kay Penman. She's very detailed and it's a great historical read.

Unlike you Diana, I can't read more than one book at a time (other than the scriptures which I try to read every day).

My all time favourite books are Lord of the Rings, Les Miserables, Pride & Prejudice and some wonderful little books called The Magic Apple Tree, Swiftly Glides the Stream and Lark Rise to Candleford. The last three are all local to my area in Oxfordshire.

Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 15:21 on 16th July 2008
Darn it! I hit the post button accidentally. Hoping for the edit/delete button SOON.
1 2 3 4 5 Next >