Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St. Peters Square. Emsworth. Hampshire

Emsworth

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Your thoughts on prayer

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
Posted at 15:24 on 21st July 2008
Ruth, as you know I am a person of faith and prayer is very important to me.  However, although I am technically "Catholic", I prefer "Mere Christianity" as C.S. Lewis put it.  I am also very eclectic in my beliefs and I have recently been very taken by a book called "The Divine Matrix" by Gregg Braden which discusses the "new" scientific evidence for prayer and how it works.  Although I'd like to stress that science doesn't have the answer to everything and in the end I believe in a personal God who has personal relationships with each of us when we are ready to respond to him.  C.S. Lewis once said, "Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me".  I think there is a lot of truth in that.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Sue H
Sue H
Posted at 15:45 on 21st July 2008
On 21st July 2008 11:17, Jason Twist wrote:
I think we probably all talk to 'somebody' in times of need, or when things seem to be going very wrong. So I reckon, yeah I do pray in that sense. When it comes to 'who' I pray to, I don't know!! sounds bad i know, but then who really does. Its a strange thing all religions seem to follow a similar path, so maybe we all pray to the same 'god', whether we're religious, or just talk to our inner self for strength.Smile

Sometimes that's the problem though. Many of us turn to 'somebody' (God) in our times of need, but forget Him in our times of plenty. Then when He doesn't answer our prayer (to our liking) it's time to trash Him and say he doesn't care.

If my children were to only come to me when they needed something, I would be terribly hurt. I make sure I talk to my Father always, I could be doing the dishes, driving the car, walking by the river, having an IV, going to the dentist (two of the things I find most frightening), He is a part of my life just as much as my husband, children, friends.

I love Him!

L
L
Posted at 22:38 on 21st July 2008
On 20th July 2008 22:24, Stephanie Jackson wrote:
Thanks Ruth. Lyn & Peter you are both great people who are some of the first to welcome new people, joke and cheer people up and comfort people who are sad so that's most important - being considerate towards your fellow human beings and the earth's creatures.

Thanks Stephanie, and each and every person has there own beliefs, and I respect that.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 05:35 on 22nd July 2008
On 21st July 2008 08:48, Wolf wrote:
Thanks for that Ruth, I can see the light now. You are a lovely caring person and I am proud to call you my friend. ♥

Thank you to you too, Wolf.  I feel the same about you.  And I appreciate the candid remarks on this post.  This topic usually it thought provoking.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 05:51 on 22nd July 2008
On 21st July 2008 11:17, Jason Twist wrote:
I think we probably all talk to 'somebody' in times of need, or when things seem to be going very wrong. So I reckon, yeah I do pray in that sense. When it comes to 'who' I pray to, I don't know!! sounds bad i know, but then who really does. Its a strange thing all religions seem to follow a similar path, so maybe we all pray to the same 'god', whether we're religious, or just talk to our inner self for strength.Smile

Hi Jason:  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.  Like Sue said above, I believe it's God we talk to in those moments, even if we don't realize it.  Some spiritual writers have put forth the thought that human beings have an instinct for God.  All the archeological digs around the world show evidence of some little deity or cult or some type of religion. 

Your thoughts don't sound bad, Jason.  I believe that God honors every heartfelt thought or wish for others in need.  I also think that the "inner self" you refer to is maybe God in each of us.  We are all created in His image.  I think Jesus summed it up nicely in the 25th Chapter of Matthew's gospel.  "Whatever you did or didn't do for the least of my brothers you did or didn't do for me."  It's the call to see God in everyone, and act as God would towards everyone.  But that's a challenge that most people aren't comfortable with and  it's virtually impossible with God.  And that's what I think Joyce Rupp was saying about prayer changing us and God using prayer to "grow us."

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 05:55 on 22nd July 2008
On 21st July 2008 15:24, Diana Sinclair wrote:
Ruth, as you know I am a person of faith and prayer is very important to me.  However, although I am technically "Catholic", I prefer "Mere Christianity" as C.S. Lewis put it.  I am also very eclectic in my beliefs and I have recently been very taken by a book called "The Divine Matrix" by Gregg Braden which discusses the "new" scientific evidence for prayer and how it works.  Although I'd like to stress that science doesn't have the answer to everything and in the end I believe in a personal God who has personal relationships with each of us when we are ready to respond to him.  C.S. Lewis once said, "Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me".  I think there is a lot of truth in that.

Hi Diana:  Thanks for that, you put it very nicely.  Which of CS Lewis' books is that from?  The Divine Matrix sounds excellent.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 05:58 on 22nd July 2008
On 20th July 2008 22:24, Stephanie Jackson wrote:
Thanks Ruth. Lyn & Peter you are both great people who are some of the first to welcome new people, joke and cheer people up and comfort people who are sad so that's most important - being considerate towards your fellow human beings and the earth's creatures.

Hi Stephanie:  I agree.  Lyn and Peter, you are about the warmest and most welcoming people I know.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 06:07 on 22nd July 2008
On 21st July 2008 15:45, Sue H wrote:
Sometimes that's the problem though. Many of us turn to 'somebody' (God) in our times of need, but forget Him in our times of plenty. Then when He doesn't answer our prayer (to our liking) it's time to trash Him and say he doesn't care.

If my children were to only come to me when they needed something, I would be terribly hurt. I make sure I talk to my Father always, I could be doing the dishes, driving the car, walking by the river, having an IV, going to the dentist (two of the things I find most frightening), He is a part of my life just as much as my husband, children, friends.

I love Him!

Hi Sue:  What you shared reminded me of God being ever present.  There are so many kinds of prayer - intercessory is probably the most popular, especially in times of need.  But sometimes, like Sue GR stated, it's as simple as having someone to thank for the beauty around us.  And I think the whole thought that CS Lewis and Joyce Rupp talk about is that God isn't our personal genie up in the sky to do our bidding.  He gave us our share of the responsibility in having a relationship with Him.  Doesn't any relationship take two?  But he also honors our free will.  The gift of faith is offered to all, but when you offer someone a gift you don't beat them over the head with it and make them take it.  They must receive it willingly.  I think that's how God treats us as well.  And when you finally open that gift, it really does make you love Him.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 06:13 on 22nd July 2008
On 21st July 2008 22:38, Lyn Greenaway wrote:
Thanks Stephanie, and each and every person has there own beliefs, and I respect that.

Hi Lyn:  I had a moment's hesitation before I started this thread, because it's very personal.  But it's because I feel comfortable and feel like I'm among friends that made me feel like it was OK to bring it up.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 06:16 on 22nd July 2008
On 22nd July 2008 05:51, Ruth Gregory wrote:

But that's a challenge that most people aren't comfortable with and  it's virtually impossible with God.  And that's what I think Joyce Rupp was saying about prayer changing us and God using prayer to "grow us."

That should read, "its virtually impossible WITHOUT God."  Sorry.