Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

All Saints Church

Godshill

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Arrested for taking photographs

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 11:11 on 28th July 2008
I nearly got shot at Tenarife new airport when I went there a few years ago. My mate and I tried to take a photo of the national guard. He was standing under a light outside his sentry box. When I looked up from the camera, he was pointing a machine gun at us, and said quietly, "No photo, I shoot". We didnt speek spanish and he spoke hardly any english. But seeing him take the safety catch of his machine gun and wave it menacingly in our direction was understandable in any language. We didnt know that you cant take photos of the national guard. They have the right to shoot you,or they did then. Dont know if that has changed, but he was not mucking about, he meant it. So we beat a hasty retreat.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 13:50 on 28th July 2008
Probably not the ideal time Peter, to thumb through your phrase book looking for----
No me tire, yo son solamente el fotografo!!!
Peter Evans
Peter Evans
quotePosted at 15:40 on 28th July 2008
We tried to communicate in signe language, He communicated with his gun. And just the four words "no photo, I shoot". I think he spoke very good English. We understood very well. Oh, he also said "You click I shoot". When you have a machine gun up you nose, you understand any language.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 16:03 on 28th July 2008
On 25th July 2008 07:43, Jason Twist wrote:
...as usual we all suffer for the sick minority.

I agree with you Jason.  It's sad isn't it?  There was an incident here in the US a few years back where a father was taking photo's of his young daughters while they played in their back yard pool.  The children where in their bathing suits and some one reported him to the police.  The authorities actually came to his home with a warrant, confiscated his camera and took his children away and put them in custody of the Department of Child Services.  Once the authorities were satisfied that there was nothing criminal going on his equipment and his children were returned to him.  I am not sure what happened after that, I think he got an attorney and sued, but can you imagine snapping a few photo of your family and being hauled off to jail for it?

Shirley K. Lawson
Shirley K. Lawson
quotePosted at 05:31 on 30th July 2008
On 27th July 2008 21:22, Paul Hilton wrote:

On their website, the US Colorado State Patrol advise people what they should do if they see anyone taking photographs etc. of the following things thus---

A. You should immediately report people who photograph, videotape, sketch, ask detailed questions or seek blueprints for: Airports Water supplies Dams Bridges Major highway intersections, Tunnels Power plants and substations Transmission towers Pipelines Tank farms Military installations Law enforcement agencies Defense contract sites Hospitals Health research facilities Internet Phone Cable Communications facilities and towers Capitol, court, and government buildings Historic structures and national landmarks   

We got a lot of dumb rules now that don't make much sense any more since the World Trade towers went down. Many of us are fed up with things this last several years and in some ways we hold our breathe in anything we say also these days for not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings or say the wrong thing. There have been an lot of "lawsuits" also by foreingers here for mistreatment and false accusations.  We look forward to times being "normal" again.

Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 06:07 on 30th July 2008
Don't know if this has been posted, but there has been a lot of conyroversy over here this last few weeks abour photographers and artists taking nude shots of teenage girls, and just this week a male teacher was arrested for taking photo's up the dresses of 14 yr. old girls.
Wolf
Wolf
quotePosted at 06:09 on 30th July 2008
Sorry about Typeos need to put the light on............. click.
Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 13:47 on 30th July 2008

LOL @ Wolf about the light. Smile 

It is sad Wolf that there are, unfortunately, perverts out there that we have to protect our children from. I too would have questions about my teenaged daughter having her picture taken nude by a so called artist.  It may well be ligit but I wouldn't be willing to take that chance. The male teacher is just plain disgusting.

Have you noticed that pedophiles and others often enter professions such as teachers, child care workers, and clergy just so that they can have easy access to children?

It must be awfully scary to be the parents of young children today. Unfortunately, you can't trust the world to protect your children, so one must educate kids to look after themselves when their parents aren't around.  A friend of mine expressed her anger over having to explain to her eight year old what a pedopile was.

Chris and Sarah, you have young ones, how do you manage to strike that balance between protecting their innocence and the telling them what they need to be aware of to be safe?

Alan Marron
Alan Marron
quotePosted at 18:56 on 31st August 2008

It's never caused a problem for me, and I regularly get invited go into schools for the local paper I volunteer with.  Before taking any pics I do usually ask if the school has parental permission..

Some schools in this area have parents sign up annually, giving permission for their children to be photographed.  At the same time, I have to admit that I've been challenegd on occasion by members of the public, although I always adhere strictly to Press Association regulations on news photograohy (even though I'm not a member of the association). 

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5