Penmon

in the county of Isle of Anglesey

Oldway Mansion and parterre.

Paignton

a Seaside Town in the county of Devon

A picture of Cowes

Cowes

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Quizzy "4"

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 20:24 on 16th August 2013
No I wasn't being devious this time John Wink
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
Posted at 20:27 on 16th August 2013

Haven't got my thinking head on so an easy one for you

I do what I do for Mick and Keith

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
Posted at 22:27 on 16th August 2013

Hi the trouble maker here, just to say that to confirm the answer to my quizzy:- it was in fact " James Watt ", hope that does not confuse issues now.

Yes , both Mathew Boulton and James Watt are on the new £50 note but I was in fact James Watt I was looking for.

The reason he held up the Industrial Revolution is as follows, After Watt had developed the separate condenser which did make the steam power for beam engines a lot more efficient , he slapped a patent on his development. More than the patent he also had a clause which banned anyone working on or further developing the steam engine in anyway which lasted until 1800 , approximately a quarter of a century. During this time he installed many of his engines in Cornish mines which did mean the engines he installed used much less coal than the earlier engines installed. This was very important to the owners of the Cornish mines as Cornwall sits on a wealth of minerals but NO coal which did not come cheap being shipped in from South Wales. So what did Watt do? He charged royalties on every engine of his as a tax on the savings that the mine owners made and with the terms of the patent no one could develop any other form of engine  fuelling  his greed. In fact later on when Mathew Bolton fell into financial difficulty ( it was with his help that Watt could develop the steam engine in the first place ) Watt would not step in and help his so called friend and partner. Watt would also hound Richard Trevithick with writs every time he tried to do anything  with steam engines. By 1800 though ,the  terms of the patent lapsed and Trevithick started his mammoth achievements and creating engines working at high pressure and still more efficient . Trevithick's engines working at high pressure could be made much smaller which could then be put on wheels to self propel and thus both the car and locomotive were born but this could all have happened earlier if it was not for Watt and his patent. Here endeth today's lesson.

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 22:33 on 16th August 2013
On 16th August 2013 20:27, Dave John wrote:

Roll stones?  lol
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 22:35 on 16th August 2013
On 16th August 2013 22:27, Vince Hawthorn wrote:

Hi the trouble maker here, just to say that to confirm the answer to my quizzy:- it was in fact " James Watt ", hope that does not confuse issues now.

Yes , both Mathew Boulton and James Watt are on the new £50 note but I was in fact James Watt I was looking for.

The reason he held up the Industrial Revolution is as follows, After Watt had developed the separate condenser which did make the steam power for beam engines a lot more efficient , he slapped a patent on his development. More than the patent he also had a clause which banned anyone working on or further developing the steam engine in anyway which lasted until 1800 , approximately a quarter of a century. During this time he installed many of his engines in Cornish mines which did mean the engines he installed used much less coal than the earlier engines installed. This was very important to the owners of the Cornish mines as Cornwall sits on a wealth of minerals but NO coal which did not come cheap being shipped in from South Wales. So what did Watt do? He charged royalties on every engine of his as a tax on the savings that the mine owners made and with the terms of the patent no one could develop any other form of engine  fuelling  his greed. In fact later on when Mathew Bolton fell into financial difficulty ( it was with his help that Watt could develop the steam engine in the first place ) Watt would not step in and help his so called friend and partner. Watt would also hound Richard Trevithick with writs every time he tried to do anything  with steam engines. By 1800 though ,the  terms of the patent lapsed and Trevithick started his mammoth achievements and creating engines working at high pressure and still more efficient . Trevithick's engines working at high pressure could be made much smaller which could then be put on wheels to self propel and thus both the car and locomotive were born but this could all have happened earlier if it was not for Watt and his patent. Here endeth today's lesson.

Very interesting lesson, Vince.  Funny how we think of all those big name captains of industry as being so righteous and philanthropic. 

Dave John
Dave John
Posted at 22:40 on 16th August 2013
On 16th August 2013 22:33, Ruth Gregory wrote:
On 16th August 2013 20:27, Dave John wrote:

Roll stones?  lol
Think you may have this Ruth but I need a name!! Hurry up or the laundryman or Rusty will BEAT you to him!!!
rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 22:41 on 16th August 2013

Oh heck, I was wrong then to jump in with the next question, sorry Vince, wrists slapped, I'll try to do better next time Smile

We're out at friends and I'm just sneaking in here on my phone so I'll have a look at Daves puzzle tomorrow. 

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
Posted at 22:42 on 16th August 2013

Charlie Watts.  Thanks for the HINT.

rustyruth
rustyruth
Posted at 22:43 on 16th August 2013
I think the other Ruth might have it by then Smile
Dave John