Torcross

in the county of Devon

Harrods

Kensington

in the county of Greater London

Marlborough, Wiltshire

Marlborough

in the county of Wiltshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Freezing energy prices, is Miliband right?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 09:28 on 27th September 2013
We have all seen the reports of Ed Miliband's proposal to freeze household energy prices if Labour win the next election in 2015. It is undoubtedly a popular move, because everyone knows how energy costs have risen above the rate of inflation, but is it sensible a way to do it? The energy company shares have already dropped and the implication is that investment in future power stations will be stopped. We are already nearing an energy crisis point with power stations being closed to comply with emission directives (the closure of Didcot power station is a recent example). Miliband is the offspring of wealthy Marxist parents and appears to be keen to re-introduce  the sort of state control which might have been seen in the old Soviet Union. He has stopped short of wanting to nationalise the whole energy industry, but this would be a logical step for a Marxist. Will Miliband's State Candle Factory be the answer when the lights go out ? 
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Neil Rodgers
Neil Rodgers
quotePosted at 13:41 on 27th September 2013

Hi Edward

I would not be surprised at anything the politicians say these days to get their ways with the electorate.

It might be better to have the countries finances in the hands of business executives who have proved themselves over and over again, rather than a bunch of half baked M Ps with little or no idea of how the man on the street has to survive.

That way they could be dismissed in the event of failure, and only pay them commensurate to what they save the country.      

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:46 on 27th September 2013

In my opinion it's a stupid idea Edward. Even more so because he has announced it in time for the energy companies to raise the cost to us now, to take account of what it might have been during any price freeze.

Wait and see, within a few weeks/months we will get another massive hike in the cost of energy prices, as if 40% increase wasn't already enough!

They are a bunch of greedy b......s, like the banks and will get their just rewards when Fracking takes off as it surely will, despite the initial objections.

The Directors of the big six companies pay themselves obscene amounts of money to 'provide us with energy', yet state there will be blackouts and take no notice at all of Government blubbering about high prices, fair prices, best prices and why?

Answer, because you can bet your life the Government is raking it in one way or another, without actually telling us where they are making the money, whilst making it look like they are helping the people who pay their wages. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:42 on 10th October 2013

Above, less than a month ago I wrote>>>Wait and see, within a few weeks/months we will get another massive hike in the cost of energy prices, as if 40% increase wasn't already enough!

Sure enough it has just been announced on the television news that Energy Companies will increase their prices will from the middle of next month by a staggering 8.5%!

They are nothing short of a greedy bunch of b.....s, just like the banks and will get their just rewards when 'Fracking' comes into it's own. The prices will plummet, we will have paid the price and then we will be arguing with those who control the 'Fracking' process.

What should we be doing about this, can we do anything?

B....y Government is in a position to stop them and what do they do, nothing! They skin us every way they can, but the time really will come when the worm turns! Remember that Cameron & Co!!

Peggy Cannell
Peggy Cannell
quotePosted at 10:49 on 10th October 2013
I watched big stars, little stars last night and the speakers wife and daughter were on I dont think David C will be very impressed about her opinions, I thought good for her to speak how she feels
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 21:09 on 10th October 2013
On 10th October 2013 14:01, John Lawrence wrote:

Freezing prices in the future is probably the worst policy announcement made by a politician

Ed Miliband has just learned that lesson - I feel like saying 'told you so', but then I am old and cynical
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:46 on 12th October 2013

See what I have written here http://www.pestcontrol-supermarket.com/pestdetails/index/pestid/265 and then let me know via the POE forum, what you think please.

To make change somebody has to start by doing the right thing and I believe that what I am offering is easily achievable. However, please don't forget to sign up to the PCS site as a Consumer (it's free).

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:27 on 17th October 2013

Nobody replied to me, nobody from POE signed up as requested despite it being free, so I can only assume you don't mind paying the price for your Utilities, which we are told are set to rise by about 10% next month!

If we don't complain, nothing will get done. If you don't support a voice, you only need to turn up the heat and pay your bill.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:35 on 4th November 2013

Having watched the Dispatches programme tonight it seems the big six could be quite legally making the best of the figures by sending the money around the world, often via Tax Havens that in turn creates a healthy profit for them. There is obviously more to it than that, but the Government needs to act to sort this out before the consumer starts taking action of their own.

What sort of action, well how about we all withold 40% (representing recent hikes) of our bill to start with?

And then we cancel direct debits with the bank.

And then we make the big six send out demands for payment of 'arrears'.

When they threaten to take us to the Small Claims Courts for recovery, we admit to not being able to pay, but offer to pay them at say £2 per month!

How many people live in the UK? If even a healthy percentage agreed to do this they would soon put their house in order and stop paying the dividends/bonus to the money grabbing directors. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:24 on 5th November 2013
So nobody got an opinion on this last post?