Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Farnborough Air Show 2010

Farnborough

in the county of Hampshire

Eton College in Berkshire.

Eton

in the county of Berkshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Foreign Food

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:45 on 7th March 2015

Hi Folks, been long day- new Saturday girl and a fair bit going on today so well busy.

OK The Cornish Pasty to be called a Cornish Pasty does have to be made in Cornwall using produce from Cornwall ( why does Ginsters not have the tin mine logo  on their products? ). The contents of the pasty should be chuck steak or skirt of beef ( James can tell us the technical bits regarding the beef - and only beef and only those cuts ). Potato, turnip ( which in reality is swede ),onion,salt and pepper are the recognised ingredients. The pastry itself should be shortcrust,rough puff or puff pastry glazed with milk and/or milk. The meat shoul be a minimum of 12.5% and the veg a minimum of 25% and all ingredients should be raw and all cooked toghther in the sealed pasty. The "handle" or "crimp" MUST be on the side making the pasty a "D" shape and yes the handle was to enable the miner to hold his pasty safely. Believe it or not in the heyday of Cornish tin/copper mining there were not any facilities down the mines and seeing as a by- product of mining arsenic would be present on the miner's hands thus the handle would be discarded rather than consumed. A miner could tell his pasty by the crimping, everyone would have an individual pattern or shape to the crimp. 

As for the fruit at one end yes I have heard of these and tales of past generations making these abound but I have never seen one these days. This does not mean there are some folk are not still making them in the family enviroment. 

Proper Job is handheld in a bag or such like but sometimes a knife and fork and plate if in finer surroundings and you do not want to get in bother for making a lot of crumbs.

There is a lot of agro between Devon and Cornwall as to who had pasties first, I think it is still a jury out situation.

I also have to admit to being unable to finish a pasty- when in a farm b&b in Lizard myself and another surveyor were dished up our evening meal, one pasty on a plate for us to share, But it was a pasty somewhere around 18 inches  long at least !!SurprisedEmbarassed

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:56 on 7th March 2015
  Yes and I refered to that with the reference to fruit , never had one but they were made once and maybe some folk in their homes still do.
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 23:09 on 7th March 2015
I know a few of the older end in Padstow Vince, none of them make the sweet end of the pasty anymore. Funny though, our friend's mum, she died a couple of years ago aged late 90's always swore by lamb not beef. Different folks, different ways Smile

Edited by: rustyruth at:7th March 2015 23:10
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:12 on 7th March 2015

I am sure a lot of folk have their own recipes and ways of making them but the strict rules apply to anyone wishing to sell and Calling the Cornish Pasties.

By the By, Cornwall Cam is in Padstow today. 

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 12:07 on 8th March 2015
Thanks Vince. There's a good one Polzeath beach too. Rick Stein also has a new one up in Padstow, nice and clear, but he's got the money.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 17:59 on 8th March 2015
The few times we have been to Cornwall i have sampled the Pasty but not been a big fan of them--we tried Rowes and Hoggy shops --they were ok but much prefer a good Northern Pork pie.Cool
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 23:28 on 8th March 2015
When it comes to food I enjoy most "foreign" dishes, and will try anything. Best not to end up in an open boat with me! 
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:03 on 9th March 2015
Thanks for the warning Rod Surprised
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:16 on 31st March 2015
I just saw this story on the BBC site I nearly drowned in chocolate I don't think I will enjoy my Easter Egg after reading that !
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 07:55 on 1st April 2015

That is almost unblievable Edward!

Yuck....