Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Caister - The remains of the old Roman Camp

Caister-on-Sea

in the county of Norfolk

A picture of Kynance Cove

Kynance Cove

in the county of Cornwall

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Telephone Number Witheld

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 13:50 on 24th March 2016

Why do they do it, what do they gain from it?

It's been going on for months now, but in the early days a woman asked for the name of a person that we didn't recognize and we naturally said sorry wrong number.

An example of todays pestering so far has resulted in 15 calls to our telephone number, all witheld. The same woman calls each time and asks for a different name each time, so on one or two occasions I went along with it and said 'speaking' and she promptly told me that I wasn't the person that she had asked for, I said how do you know who I am? Each time she names a different 'supposed' management company and then ends the call.

I now answer the phone and do one of two things having established who it is meaning the same woman with a distinctive voice. I either leave her speaking until she ends the call or tell her to go forth and multiply. I even got to ask what she gets out of continually calling, making nuisance phone calls and again she blurbs the name of a management company, which I don't even bother to look for so its doing them/her no good whatsoever so why do they bother?

Anybody got any answers?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 23:31 on 24th March 2016
Perhaps you have a secret admirer, Ron, At least she is not trying to sell you double glazing or accident management services. Do you have Caller ID activated on your phone? Even though there is a small charge for this sevice, I find it very useful for screening out unwanted calls. I view any call which shows 'Withheld' with suspicion. If you are seriously worried and all else fails, report the problem to your telecoms provider.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:04 on 25th March 2016

The point is she never says exactly what she's after, just a pain in the backside who keeps asking for a different person. It shows as witheld Edward but it seems there is no way to stop it, other than not answer it. You would think in this technology loaded age that it would be easy wouldn't you?

I would bet it can be done, but it would probably have to involve the police and a court order to allow the police to trace it thanks to the data protection act or the human rights act, or the nosey neighbours act!

I would love to be able to meet the time wasting piece of manure.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 14:27 on 25th March 2016
There are phones which will screen incoming calls, but you have to have Caller ID enabled. The phone will only ring for the numbers you choose, and all others including withheld will be diverted to the answering machine. The BT 8500 Call Blocker Cordless Home Phone is an example.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:11 on 27th March 2016

Trouble is we have many other calls from persons not necessarily family, or known (Hospital appointments for example) that we wouldn't want to miss Edward so it still remains an issue, but thanks for responding.

The fact is these nuisance calls must be able to be traced by somebody, but the question is who will own up to it?

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 19:36 on 28th March 2016

I was getting round about ten calls a week asking about my computer which was very annoying -it was obviously a scam so i started teasing them which they didnt like.

The calls kept coming in so i contacted Virgin and reported it as nuisance calls i was put through to a nice chap who dealt with it rather professional i must say and he assured me that my name would not be in the next directory true enough my name was deleted so now i am ex-diretory.I have not had one call from these people since--so Ron contact your supplierSmile

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 20:48 on 29th March 2016
Maybe somebody has invented the answer to the witheld calls and is trying to get us so wound up that we go out and buy one? Keep calling time wasters and hope you can afford your bill.
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 02:01 on 30th March 2016

I haven't read this whole thread, but we have caller ID also...and this is how Bill Gates hunts down computer hackers for me. All the while they are harassing you...he's there picking up their location, even th eones that skip around and go form city to city and country to country....you know he has his group of  expert hacker breakers in computerland....and that's all they do..protect innocent customers. Ask him to trace them down for you...he could probably easily do it...or at least find out who they are for you. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:12 on 2nd April 2016
Not sure that Bill Gates would get into dealing with hackers here, but nice thought Shirley.
 Please login to post to this thread...