Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Good Day "64"

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:10 on 16th October 2016

As ever Shirley really interesting posts so thank you for that.

And 'Matcha' tea, or are you saying it's something that you add to tea? I haven't heard of it, but will Google it shortly for my own interest. I would say that PG or Tetley would come close on the 'favourite tea' in England score, but never know might surprise us.

Hi to all POEsters.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions

quote | editPosted at 07:08 on 17th October 2016

Well, after my little hell storming episode with God and the wind the other day, the wind did exactly as I told it to do and stayed off the coast...and did very little damage up north of us here. but alas...for us it did about $700 plus in damages around our house. I said "look....Oregon is not known for hurricanes...Oregon is not known for full blown tornadoes..esp coming off the ocean.....whose the idiot that rigged all this crap up...fire him!...We don' t need thier kind of thinking."  You know Ron how women can rant and rave when unhappy...well I let it all out it out here. You know some of us think these storms are "manipulated" ones in the making. Though word is out this month that from October into  November will be three times an "supermoon" with the wild stuff going on...and the moon's closest approach to earth also...higher magnectic values...so be prepared...where ever you live. Go to earthboppin.net and read in SKywatchers thread about it all. Personally, there's nothing left here to destroy now.

I got the gifts finiished abd ready to be delivered to Eugene...but you know what...astrologically it says this week, to pull back out of my plans. I think Dee Dee said that she was expecting the guy she lives with to visit this next coming weekend also, after being gone several months now.. I have met him, he reminds me of my nieghbor in ways...whom I want to call St. Peter..... not Micheal.  So, I don' t know what to think about going down there now. Will have to talk with her about things.

When we moved into this neighborhood....there were two houses that owned most the land....the big house three houses south of us, and one of the houses out behind us....both have kept thier original owners, except through death.... the ones out back owned an small three bedrroom, and built another like it beside it to do thier car repairing in the garage( they do repairs for car companies)....it went up for sale today...no one has even looked at the other bigger house for sale that I know of....most common people can't afford the property taxes as they kept an couple acres with the house.  I find this rather interesting as to the times we are facing these days. We have been trying to renovate our properties...but some of the folks just don' thave the money being retired now. Thsi has been going on in Hollywood Californa also...country western singer Garth Brooks married country singer TRishaYearwood...they put their Malibu, California home for sale recently, moving back to Nashville in her old country home... and the paper mentioned another one also, I'd have to try to go back and find...but thier discontent in living in California is beigning to show up....as to what they can afford and it's not an big  star studded mansion any more apparently...... JohnL was tellling me some things he knew about Oregon property along these lines also. My ex-california neighbor said this summer that she felt the house of tomarrow will be a nice house...but one with an decent sized yard to it...preferably in the country setting.  Parade Magazine I think it was said cars arecoming down in price...people didn't buy as many last year....and I think to, the water and flood disasters have about done people in on thier money resources now. That doesn' t mean an bad economy, just they have been made to spend their savings trying to "hang on" if you know what I mean....with ordeals like drought, floods, hurricanes, and what not else. Anyway....so goes.

We had the grandson over last night and most of today...fell alseep one time on us...we woke him up and filled him with Chicken Garlic Pizza..he missed an day last week "sick".  Seemnd an bt melacony, but probably the anxiety of all the wind and such. They still had winds on the coast today at 85 mph. But not as bad as they predicticed. Rain seemed to stop also...light rain, but not the heavy stuff...higher elevations on Mt. Hood was expecting 7 inches of snow today.

At any rate, guess I will call it an night...I think the tea in question was the one with the initals if I remember rightly..PG...the other tea is simply an higher concentration of green tea, in powder form. It was not easy looking in the thrift shops to find Kim two stamped tea cup set from England for  this year's gift either...cause she has antiques in her old 1800's house near Salem, Oregon's Capitol city...three rooms of china hutches with dishes she has collected over the years....I doubt she'd be impressed with an ordinary cup for Christmas. I am giving her an old needlpoiint picture of sleigh and horse ride outside an village in the countryside to use as her serving tray....and an fancy stocking and some fancy cookies for her tea, which she does "Professionally" from what I understand.....She lost her husband last year from dementia.  I was todl she'd like my little wine cabinet I re-did for Dee Dee also to put in her house. I told Dee Dee it was up to her.  I said, pain tit with black paint so it looks an bit better...and she intrupted me...said that's why she likes it, you kept it original and oiled it down like fine furniture.Actually I used old English couple days in an row to get rid of the scratches ans wear and tear it's gotten over the years....you never know about these collectors, maye she knew someone that had one simliar at some time. Anyway...I'm headed in, just abou thave my tea finishet tonight....have an good week. 

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 06:40 on 18th October 2016

Well, now where's my new phone...I've been waiting weeks on it, when they went to deliver it today, I was sick, had taken some aspriin and went to sleep on the sofa...they came, but I didn't hear them and didn't answer the door and they didn' t leave the phone, because it requires my signature. We will try again tomarrow I guess....after that I'll have to pick it up in person down by the airport at Fedex. Theee "man upstairs" woke me up 15 mins afterwards with an lightening strike that had my cats running to the entryway...next to hugging each other and me setting straight up on the sofa. It sounded like an cannon going off couple houses down our street. So I stayed up and watched the storm going over, windy and what not...and didn't get much done today...hoping he'd come back...he never did.

Instead watched "hotel impossible"...whose main guy reminds me of our Paul Hilton...he literally had an wholeplace de-bugged and most the stuff throw out, all the furninture painted and by th etime they got done, you'd think it was completely brand new. But in the course of cleaning out one room he drags out some ladies "G-String" from under the bed, and in another room dumped needles out the waste basket...by then he was throughly disgusted. They went out to the kiddies playground an done of the tall trees was so dead, they literally pushed it down on the ground by hand. Outdorr pool was looking slimy also. Hadn' tbeen properly closed up for winter yet.Some job he's got, but he made it through the ordeal...and thank heavens for anyone staying at these places he does. As the man in charge...he looks dressed absoutely impeccible in his business suits also I might add.

After dinner I added three pint sized jars made into votive canning jars in red glass to Kim's Needlepoint Christmas Sleigh Ride picture tonight....and stocking. So I'm finished with her present this year...tucked in some othe rlittle goodies, like th etwo matching tea cup sets also...and went back an go ther an dmyself each an box of "P G" Black tea from England. Her some white chocolate macadamian nut cookies also to go wit the others in her Stocking....her fancy tyoe cookies...and tucked in some paper napkins and plates tha tmatch also for an small luncheon somday with tea.

So, closed up the night watching "Dancing with the Stars"...it was wild...Pit bull was there also as an guest host in the judging. But couple of those gals really got to moving tonight for dances like the Salsa, Argentino Tango, and one other one. I need to be making my other ornaments, but I'll drink my tea and cozy up in the warm compforter for tonight, plugged in all warm,  and hope all goes better tomarrow and getting the phone delivered correctly. 

Have an good evening coming up..... and enjoy your day!

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 23:29 on 19th October 2016

Break time for me...and an busy night...I just finished off 7 ornaments for the bank...half way done...tomarrow maybe I can get them finished. The fronts are done with an strip of leather on top, followed by an strip of back ribbon, topped with amber rhinestones,,,,the whole thing on an glitering crogated white cardstock in the shape of an stocking....then coming down comes the prancing deer..... that's all over these days for Christmas...it's in natural wood on an back ground of ribbon that's got tiny pine cones holly berrries and gold accents in glitter, down the entire stocking, the background on that ribbon is kind of a burlap look....then at the bottom, is some gold  cotton fabric, with little white spots very softly on the toe, (kind of to resemble snow) and strip of black ribbon on the toe edge on top edge of gold fabric... with amber rinestones, and topped it all off with five gold jingle bells on the leather on top. Don't know if they will still jingle after the glue gets dried that set them in place...I have the backs to do tomarow and will place an black ribbon to hang on the tree.So far every year I've been able to make the frontswith an wooden deer embellishment that look all the same reguardless of all the colors I use. They made these prancing deer this year in an 3.dimenstional ornament that I'm decorating also. They are coming in at about an $10 per ornament to do wiht the jewerly type embellisment on them. 

In the meantime, I have an concert at school tonight with my oldest grandson, and dinner to make or buy and getting dressed so I best go, don't know what I'll do with my hair...but it could use an quick washing....Ohh...the new cell phone came in yesterday...will have to set it up maybe tomarrow night. I'ts charging for  now. Then again, someone put an whole stack of  "open house" for troop 707 flyers in our mailbox for hubby to handle also. Yep, busy times are coming!!!!   Talk later on...Have an good evening. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:22 on 21st October 2016

Busy times and talk of Christmas, but you sound like you have it all sorted Shirley. Scary thought it being just a few weeks away and wham, another year begins!

Do you reckon time goes quicker as you get older? I do....it seems like only last week that I was walking home from first school with a 'sloppy package' in my pants because they wouldn't let me go to the bathroom! I was only 5 years of age and we walked back and forth to school in those days, alone! How different things are now eh?

Hi to all POEsters...

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 05:41 on 22nd October 2016

I'll have to try to find my book..but scientifically it does...as your mind changes time in your thinking, so goes your day as well....things seem to slow down automatically.

Well, I paid my property taxes for another year today, and delivered the bank ladies the Christmas Ornaments at the same time. I hope to stay up tonight and finiish off daughter in-law's  ornaments and stopped by chruch today, Reverands wife asked me if I'd make some more to show her (oranments)...found out Japan had an large quake today in the 6 range, must of been all the sounds I was hearing yesterday. Their quake alarms all went off at the same time..but not many seconds before it started to happen. Pourding down rain here tonight. Well, except for the kid's weekend get away, only hubby is left(Christmas)...thinking new big TV set downstairs so it can get out of the 1970's technology wise. I was never in an hurry to replace it because I bought his caveman room one years ago. But. I guess it's about time to modernaize the family room...great room is what they call them theese days. I was trying an on new coat today,  standing in the retail store...and I looked up and this guy's watching me, he said, "buy it"..it looks nice on you. So I bought it...but it's going to have to be for Christmas primarily...it's an red, bu tnot an blaring fire engine red, and it's embellished with gold on it, wiht an belt in front. Fancy.Car coat type. Even my hubby came home and when I told him I bought it, he said, I noticed it already downstairs. I have anneck scarve for it also in the same color with white that I bought an Kohl's sometime back. o keep my weight down ,as it just fit...no room for gaining weight. I made hubby his much liked "French Dip" sandwhiches tonight also, as he was running about getting my new celll phone set up for me.  They have changed them since I got my android some years ago...looks easier to use. I'm so busy most the time, ususally it's used out on the road going somewhere as an passenger.

Do you think Trump will win now, since they found out he's got his finger in the pie over in Russia with 22 different businesses...people are saying he just fried his bid to be elected...and today...whenever he's unhappy...there's all kinds of communication zippo's going on...half the web sties across the country are currently down tonight in the bigger cities.  I do not know why anyone would not coniser he'd be doing business out of country, he already says he does not pay taxes if he can get out of them, well, I doubt he's paying them over there...at least to the US. They all do that these days also. 

Anyway, I better get ready to do some more work, I had to take some time off to get un-glued and de-rhinestoned so I could feel normal again...chuckles*  Have an good weekend everyone!

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 07:21 on 23rd October 2016

Worked real heard to get soem of this Christmas stuff ready to take down to Eugene and Dee Dee calls me up and says she's cold and going to Yuma, Arizonia and then to North Carolina...but she'll be back before the end of November some time...so now everythign si on "Hold" around the house here.

Granddaughter came over tonight and we went out to dinner at Applebee's...had an pork chop on top of apple chuntey, some mashed sweet potatoe with pecans, and green beans...and half an cheecake with chololate drizzled over it and what's basically kettle corn (popcorn)...kind of different. But enjoyable. Came home and started 14 more ornaments for the church...and I'm worried about it in ways....the pastor's wife says they are getting record amoun tof people...she said wednesday night alone they fed 400 mouths in food. They rely on the retail stores for their donations, but am not sure if they are giving them all that much to feed that many people. We talked some about that...as I explained to her that it's cheaper to have an "dinner" for everyone then it is to send them home with individual "Trukey's" in the case of Thanksgiving.  My sister on state aide the other day tells me this the first yearthey are being asked to buy their Turkey...but at an lower cost then most stores will be selling them for.  I told her to forget about it and come over and eat with us...one/two more person won't make that much difference. But with the Holidays, it might be time to think of doing them "pot luck" style...everyone helps by bringing an side dish. Things have been changing here lately also in the retail, I don' t see as many crafts beign put out for people to do, and they are not so far resupplying the decorating items, the card stock is smaller for the same price, ther's no "angles" so far...it's Santa claus hunting/fishing/golfing. Lotsof glass oranments but they are $29 an box to buy...pricey. But it costs to make them also. Mine this year are running $5 to $9 each to make depending on what I have to buy for embellishments...such as jewels/ rhinestones and what not.

Weather nice out tonight but it seems like it's going to get chilly somewhat...minister's wife said she felt we were going to have an cold winter this year.  I let my sister take part of her Christmas present home the other day, an new king size comforter for her queen sofa-bed in her living room and new flannel sheets and another comforter set for either her bed or for the sofa-bed also. She said they looked very nice when I called her today.  Her flannel sheets were an clearance from last year's Christmas sheets....cabins in the mountains with deer and people walking about and trees, few snow flakes here and there. Probably about the only way she'd want to be in the mountains in the winter time. Since I didn' t get to bed last night until 4:06 am...this morning ... from doing ornaments, I slept most this afternoon. But I have 14 more right now awaiting on the table to make up this week also. Kind of taking an bit of an break. It took me most the night to hand make 6 of them. So think I will go  for now, we had an small fire    tonight in our fireplace... but still feel an bit chilly. Have an good evening.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:41 on 23rd October 2016

The Life of Shirley!

Maybe you should write a book with that title Shirley?

And yes, I still think Trump will win simply because he appears to be offering change and more importantly hope to the USA!

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 04:12 on 25th October 2016

WEll, Ron...you pretty well got an book written by now in my posting so far...maybe some day you sell it ? Just laughing. I don' tknow about Trump, it's plain to see everyone over here is happy with both options.  Who the heck is Breix Ron...ab Bank maybe? I really haven't heard to much over here since they voted to pull out of the European Union. AS for "Trump" I think it's going to be an last minute thing as to who wins and it really matters after they get in office...as to what they do also. They say Hillary is already an "Clone" and that Trump maybe also. So..that leaves the question whom is really running our country these days. That's why I go shopping these days....take my mind off an helpless situation. But today was pretty good at doing it...Started out with Christmas ornaments for $17.98binstead of $29 an box....so bought six of them....did I tell you I bought an nightime picture of city lights?...

I decided that if the weather gets nasty this year to look at my city lights like I lived in an penthouse apt.by the fireiplace and feel a bit better for doing it....something different too!  When the bills are high and not much to do, though I do have three books to finish reading. So, to add to that I found 12 sterling silver "Days of Christmas" medallions and bought them....they were my favorite number...$9.99....an real Jesus number if you know what I mean, .Farther, Son, and Holy Ghost....something like that. I went there today to get stuff to make the Reverand and his wife some very special ornaments.  Silver is supposedly protective also, and always need an bit of that.

Dee Dee wasn't allowed to go to North Caroline, Kevin came home and took one look at her car and said, no long distance stuff until you get your car wheel fixed and new tires...but she says afterwards... she might still go...I was never an person to travel in the winter time myself....and I have no idea what she will run into in North Carolina since the Hurricane flooded everything.  She said she'd be going to her mother's house so will stop by this Wednesday so we could talk about things. Get thsi Christmas stuff brought up to date for her and her other sister. Maybe she can stop by headed back to Eugene and drop off Kim an present. 

I decieded to come in tonight because I have such an total feeling of "Loss" going on for some reason...don't know why. I'm am better empathic in predictions and thoughts with aches and pains sometimes. Though sissy just got in the door from her car accident when I was on the phone having callled her....everything going OK at your house? They are losing an neighbor so maybe that's the loss I'm feeling. If you could hear what goes on in my head at times....buzzing noises....Christmas Music...listening to phone conversations/TV when it's shut off....thinking to myself.  My son's friend stayed with us one time...he said...how you do that...I said what...he said never sleep....I said I went to bed last night, no problem...he says...I've been around four days now....I haven't stopped hearing your mind going constatnly all four days I've been here....I said...well, I manage...play me some music...so he played me the Song "Building an stairway to heaven" I just laughed. Hubby's working on the plumbing situation....for some reason our garbage disposal and potatoe peelings don't get along nicely and they clogged up everything all the way through the house. With that I'm chilly tonight... so it's get myself an cup of hot tea and wrap up in an blanket time....talk to you later.....good to hear from you Ron....time for dancing with the stars also. 

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:04 on 26th October 2016

Brexit is a word conjured up for Britain exiting the EU Shirley. It's a rubbish word in my opinion, but something that stuck and so most now refer to Britain leaving the EU as 'Brexit'.

Sooner we get out the better I think. Lets get back to trading where we want to trade rather than be told where to trade by the EU.

I hope the EU will continue to break up, it's already struggling to keep members together and the biggest issue will continue to be migration/immigration. People don't want outsiders taking their jobs, houses, welfare benefits, schools, doctors, NHS treatment...the list goes on, when our own families are poor.

Our kids are suffering poverty already and stand little or no chance of getting their foot on the housing ladder, social or otherwise, because it's being taken from under their feet by a few people in Government who once elected forget what we voted for and are then only interested in making a name for themselves.

It's sad to see others suffer, but it's not our problem. They need to sort out their own issues in their own Country's.