Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Trebah Gardens

Falmouth

a Seaside Town in the county of Cornwall

Castle Rising Castle, Castle Rising, Norfolk

Castle Rising

in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Good Day "64"

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 18:04 on 10th December 2016

Good morning!....so it goes, when hubby makes it an point to hand me my hearing device.....I know there's something important going on.....it seems that my son wthi with fire and rescue...and his wife decided to go along with him, up to Lolo Pass road, just below Mt. Hood with its current 20 inches of snow.....he will be driving the snow cat to get up the road as they rescue an car up there somewhere...I don' tknow if people in it or not, but anyway, while they are doing that, Colby and grandpa went out to pick up my youngest grandson....and bring him to our house....and feed the animals.....and they are taking Logan with them tonight to go bowling with the Boy Scouts....and Dee Dee and her mother are suppose to come by here to see me and our Christmas Lights....and finally got ahold my sister, sho says she twisted her back the other day and has an sore back...so she's waiting on putting up her Christmas tree....and need to get ahold of my brother and find out what he wanted yesterday also. It's been an busy morning so far....I'll let you know how things went later on...I have been watching the news and both the tow trucks and the fire engines are having to help each other get around in this ice and snow right now....hope all goes well on that one also. In the meantime, feeding my birds...so go for now....talk later on.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:06 on 11th December 2016

It's the time of year for snow and ice, with all the problems that it brings Shirley so take care dear friend and hoping things work out soon.

Hi to all POEsters...

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 07:16 on 13th December 2016

No Ron, it's coming back again in an couple of days...snow....but I suppose that I will adjust to living like an New Yorker this winter perhaps. I keep hoping things will work out, but it seems like one problem after another or maybe I should go back to bed and sleep an little longer? Strange dreams  I have some nights also. Spent today with my sister.  Started her Christmas Tree and hope she finishs it and just didn't leave it half done. Bought me two new tops to get the third one for free. Ftr to be tied over losing the stone out of an little pinky ring...true Lindy Star with two diamonds on the side. Fretted all day over it, felt like crying...you know..."Why me" type. Ron I can' t find some $8,000 worth of Mentaformin they gave me before the doctor retired to get me over winter...nor an bunch of jewerly as if someone has been in our house. I even have an key to drive my car again missing also. It gets really spooky at times if you know what I mean...but makes the perfect answer to making me look incoherent as an person.  Oh you know her, she's never "right". Hum. I am reading my book on the lives of Jewish Doctors and thier conversion to Jesus and religion and God...and might tell  you each one fills an catagory completely different. How they manage to blend them or walk away from them is how they developed as people. I did not know that many of them do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah. The Muslims have always maintained he is but only and prophet. Was talking abou tthis tonight, I was told to go and read some on what they called the "Ana-Baptist" faith....as many had converted to that just after WWII. I was tellling them that there's an book out now callled "The fifth Gospel"and kind of relates how badly the Catholic church wants to join the Orthadox church in some of thier views on religion. I was watching an show on the Vatican yesterday...did you know they had 25 miles of documents and writing and books below the Vatican...that would be astonding to our history in ways if transcribed and released, some of it goood, some of it bad. Ok, I'm going to check out the weather using my library card.... and read about it instead of living with it. This is Oregon.... not New York City...... nor an jar of Salsa sauce either. Talk to you later on...btw..what has happened to James.... and what has happened to Richard also. Maybe Richard is snowed in, but James didn't move to Spain did he? Where do these people go to?

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 07:34 on 14th December 2016

Hi there....what an day....I went over to see if the church had it's Christmas tree up and run into an man there looking for the Reverand also, he wore an "bag" on his chest and said he needed to get the prescription that goes along with it, I told him to go to the nearest hospital or call 911...he mentioned 211 and I've never heard of it to be an local emergency phone number in these parts. But that's still where he would have to go for help...an hospital...like Mt. Hood Legacy hospital. He was driving an older black Jeep.... SUV look to it.

By  just after lunch or noon tomarrow the snow starts, and tomarrow night is my grandkids Christmas concert...we are near an dividing line for the snow storm, streets will be icy by 11 pm(from the snow) .....so don' t know how we will fair on attending this event. Suppose to go to my sister's on Friday and help her finish her decorating...shouldn't take to long though. Get some of her big blankets taken to an laundromat. Then next week we have an one day episode for snow again. Sure does help me sleep more on some days. Getting caught up in it finally. Might paint the living room walls after Christmas. They found another woman dead in the Columbia River....wonder who she is....maybe by tomarrow or so they can identify her. 

I stalked up in $254 dollars worth of groceries today, to have extra on hand for this week's weather and kind of finish off the munchies for Christmas. I put some extra cupcake like Christmas trees in the car and some jerky also, and will try to get the popcorn can with it's three wick candle in it, for emergencies this winter. I also have an fuzzy blanket and an decorative snowflake pillow...all this in the back seat. I told my sister I was decorating my car this year, but I know if we go Christmas light looking with the kids they might like the munchies in the back seat....and they sell the hot chocolate there....being Peacock Lane. 

I've been watching the Treasure at Oak Island...they are so close, as close as an toothpick to breaking into what theycall the "Vault Chapel" down in the ground that somone cemented over.So far they have spent 2 million dollars trying to unearth the so callled treasure...maybe next Tuesday night? 

Windy out tonight...and I'm always cold when the wind blows, which I really don't like, it causes to much damage whenever it blows.... 260 trees went down last week in the general metro area of Portland.  I generally end up cussing it sooner or later. It's already cost us over $700 in canopies it tore apart and damaged... Right now it's taking the barely freezing temperature in the wind chill factor down to the teens, and we still got people out there living on the streets homeless. But I can't have my tulips coming up in January either exactly.

I guess I go for now...not an lot going on...none of it much of Christmas enjoyment so far either. I guess you know we most likley won't be going any where over Christmas as the snow is all around us now. When it falls here it's at Sea Level pretty much for Portland...of course the higher elevations there's more of it also. I think they might have to have Christmas in another month if this continues...they say an bad winter means domestic problems are taking place...yeah, our homeless situation. Volunteers sent out 150 boxes of food today.. So..talk later on...have an good day!...... Christmas is being funded this year by "donations" I guess you know....rather it's toys for kids, food for families...clothing also...and homeless/warming centers all over town.

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 06:54 on 15th December 2016

It's an icy white world out my windows right now....schools all over closed tomarow also. Missed my grandson's

Christmas Concert tonight also, it was cancelled. We stayed home, built an fire and watched TV pretty much. They said earlier on the comute home that it was taking  30 mins to go down the road an half mile on teh freeways and downtown half an hour to get down three blocks of city streets. No place to be right now.

I like my survival shows you know...and got into watching the "Alaskan Bush People" series. I learn an lot form these people. Tonight they were once again plagued by an 800 foot bear..standing 12 feet high breaking into the house they had just built.  They took the women into town to stay for safety. Amoung them they have 5 people can handle rifles

if need be. They were not home the last time it broke into their house and trashed it. The things it did scares me, because I don' tthink most people know the strength of bears these days..,.for instance, it toore siding off the outside of thier house, when it got into the house...it had no problem breaking into alumuminum food cans...and of course everything it stepped on was demolished.  They built perimeter fires out in front of the houe while they built them some sirens and flashing lights off an old police car to try to scare it away..set up snag lines to eletrocute it also...and that in my estimation is what really finally got rid of it...getting electrocuted. I had seen in the Alsakan show for selling homes, one house had an complete wrap up in eletrical wiring from an break in by an bear earlier..apparently one they do this and get teh food they want, there's not much to stop them...and all these people were or are in very wild terrrain...the only way these people can escape is an large boat out in the bay near where they live. I doubt though they could out run an bear to get to it though in ways. They have already shot on bear because it charged one of the guys...and they let their guns loose on it.

But watching this show only goes to make me think how flimsy our houses these days are really built. I imagine if anyone really wanted to break into most houses, with the big windows not reinforced with steel outside, it would not be to hard to get in...same for the nice entryway also. I have always maintained that should we lose our abiltyto stop anyone from getting into our houses...our security is breached...and they don't want people with guns running around these days either. Now you know Mt. Hood Resort according ot my sister in-law an couple years ago had an bear traveling up river there in the summer that had everyone scared. They rent out those octogonal tents..yurts...these days also. I don' t think our bears here get so big, but imagine an adult one could be around 300 pounds maybe. Mt. Hood has bears...one of my girls that worked for me about 25 years ago, her and her hubby use to go bear hunting... Strickland family. I woory about my kids out where they live, though the owners are in this mobile like park with them, carries one powerful rifle just to protect them....and they all like to have big dogs out there also, though they can be hazzardous also at times. I hope we do no thave an bad winter...to where they would be coming down off Mt. Hood along the river systems this year. The one kid showed how to pick out the right wood to make an spear and sharpen it to an point in the fire...and if it last comes to last, you charge the bear, and put the long stick to the ground so it will penetrate the animal in hopes you can leave... before it kills you. WE have 1,000houses in this area, but we have lived here long enoguh to see all kinds of wild animals come into teh area off the Sandy River over the years...and have had trouble with Racoons killinf our ducks one year and later on our fish out in the fountain/pond also. I was told to stay away from them also...they have no problem killing small dogs. 

So anyway, football might be more entertaing, but I learn all kinds of things off these survival shows. So I hope they don't ditch me from shows that really have no practical solutions to living one's life...over just enttainment.. Because many of the adults, let alone the kids could not begin to do what I have seen this man's kids do, such as hook up electrical power grids, and of course feed themselves off the land, and build thier lodge and tree houses and survival in general. Master running an huge boat...unloading an dloading it also. Let's hope the bears stay in thier own natural territory also...live off salmon they cat on thier own

I go to bed now...the last three days have been terrible for me. I have lost my feeling now for Christmas now, du ro the diffuculties encountered. Wind chill factor was 18 degrees here thsi morning. Supposedly thsi will start melting tomarrow...but they say we have on more day they know of snow before December it over with. So talk to everyone later on. I love watching them baking Christmas goodies, but I am not suppose to eat the goodies this year...that isn' t easy to do when they encourage them.. Have an good day everyone.

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 07:03 on 15th December 2016
Sorry for the mispells...am very tired staying up late and getting up early....taking naps during the day though...that helps.  I'm doing good to get 5 hours in at an time sleeping.
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 06:49 on 17th December 2016
A long day and slept half way through it...and an busy day tomarrow...after I leave here I need to make corn beef sliders for tomarrow...did up some summer sausage and cheese ball with crackers and fresh veggies earlier in the day.
Everything is not unthawing very fast....so second day without garbage collectors coming by. Roads have been
broken down in snow, but now packed ice also. We have to go see my sister tomarrow...she's out of groceries, and have an huge hill to climb...but it s an highway and most likley well maintained with de-icers and snow plows and police cars around..... See how things go.  Then I could really stand to come back and check out my own pantry for food later on after Christmas Holidays....esp chili and warming soups. Fresh fruits that keep well also.

My I-pad is allowing free installs on some of there games now also...probably to get people interested in them after receiving them for gifts. I'm hopin gto get Mario brothers installed, my grandson says the first three levels are for free, after that you pay $10 for the rest of the levels. I installed magic Jigsaw puzzle though today. 

So off I go and hope to run into some  moreof the Mormon Tabernacle Christmas shows...I watched two last night and just superb music and  programs,  Have an good day over there....and I'll get some sleep now....after I make the corn beef sliders for tomarrow.... Merry Christmas!
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:34 on 17th December 2016

'Corn beef sliders' Shirley, what are they? Conjures up a vision of sliced corned beef that you strap to the underside of your shoes. It freezes and makes snow shoes? lol

As for the roads being brought to a standstill, we only need 3 inches of snow over here to stop is in our tracks, but that's because we aren't used to it. Drivers are generally useless over here also, because they get no training, no experience of snow so it comes as a huge shock to most.

It's a bit like those drivers here who don't know how to handle an emergency vehicle suddenly appearing, so they stop dead in their tracks (that actually causes problems) drive up the pathway, the banks you name it! Fact is they need to just keep driving and pull over to left side if and when they can, allowing room for the vehicles to pass in due course. The drivers of emergency vehicles will get past you without causing any further issue.

Oh and by the way, if you are at traffic lights when same appears, you STAY there until the lights permit you to go unless directed by a police officer! There, a lesson in driving

Hi to all POEsters...

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 08:30 on 18th December 2016

It came, but slowly.... everything is thawing out....still snow/ice alongside the roads, but they are passible so it's catch up with everything time....and was everyone doing just that today...esp hitting the grocery stores. WE went over to my sister's house today and finished off her decorations and took along two boxes of food, and I guess the Elks Lodge sent over two more boxes also.  I have to buy an few things tomarrow for restocking our pantry also, as well as catch up in the bill paying and my kitty got his rabies shot, he's got an sore leg tonight, miss kitty been with him nearby most the day  licking him and trying to get him to feel better. Kids made it out also today...she said her first attempt of trying to get out scared her half to death...so she parked her car where hubby works and one of the guys took her home in  his vehicle, an bigger and better one for snow plowing I guess. I guess you know that I can't get out to go anywhere, it's snow all around us right now. I'll only have next weekend to go somewhere and Christmas is Sunday. I guess I can postpone things though for Valentine's day...and our 51st  wedding anniversary. By Monday rain and 48 degrees outside...going to feel like the Carrabean Cruise you know after these temperatures of zero, 2 degrees, 17 degrees..etc. High today...31 degrees not counting the wind chill factor though. But things are still thawing out just the same....So question is...is everyone ready fro Christmas?  All I have left is maybe some food sent out to the kid's house for dinner...she says it's going to be ham thsi year, but I think I'll find an way to maybe insert some beef...as we usually have ham for New Year's Day and Chinese Food New year's Eev, as they give out fortune cookies with every meal.  No tquite like party poppers, but will suffice. I was feeling an bit nausuated tonight so took an Mentaformin...as I ate Christmas cookies today...four of them. So it's after midnight here and I'd best be going to sleep if I've got all kinds of catch up  things to do tomarrow. I think the worst food Isaw being made was macaroni and cheese wrappped up in an flour pastry wrap and baked, cut into slices....I doubtthe nutrition of it was very good....definately not my Paleo diet by any means. Little kids might like it though. I addedon " mario" and the magic jigsaw puzzles to my I-Pad...haven't' gotten into Mario as of yet though. Now if I could find "Pac man" I'd be happy.With that time to check out now...talk to you all later on.

Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 09:04 on 18th December 2016

Ron, Corned beef sandwiches on Dill Rye bread and an bit of mayo and mustard, and swiss cheese and lettace and good sized strong hot chocolate to wash it down with is what they give the skiers up on Mt. Hood at one of their snack shacks. Then everyone goes out  into the parking lot, with their little round firewood burner and eats food, gets warmed up and enjoys themselves. Not everyone wants an burger or hot dog all the time....as for "sliders" they are small versions made on dinner rolls of some kind. As hubby says...cut the cornbeef (canned type) in thin slices. Don't forget the donuts and hot coffee either! 

We won' t get into the drivers this last week, I'll simply say we watched all kinds of fender benders, (on TV) even involving an school bus in one of them, not to far from me there an mini-cooper completely turn upside down in an side ditch along the road....millions of people that couldn' t make it home, parked thier cars along the streets and caught buses...but oen bus pulled over sliding and pushed five cars off the side road already parked.

So they eventually had to go back and help each other get off the ice and snow along the side of the road to retreive thier car. Now in Pennsylvania...having likewise problems...79 car pile ups, 29 car pile ups and an 50 something car pile up on the state freeway....one time they were unsure of how many were hurt because they were literally all over the road smashed into each other....trucks, cars, vans, motorhomes, motorcycles...you name it. Yet everyone of them knew well the snowstorm was a coming. One lady's car windows fogged up and as she tried to change that, ran off the road into an Lake, they saved her though....car went under though. We don't usually have this much snow here either, it's been an real rarity. I am glad that I don'  thave to work in it, or deal with it in some ways...did enough of it when I was younger. I do mean there's nothing you can do stopped at an corner of snow and ice covered street at an stop sign and the wind blowing 25 MPH has the car moving slighty right through the intersection reguardless what the street signal says to do....your on the creep. Whoa horsey as they say...whoa! Then there's down the hill "sideways" slide.....there's the in the field " whirly" in an circle after sliding off the street....but the fender bender "Got cha"...is enough to make you want to cry....esp if your new car was just delivered. No, winter is not an thing to take for granted traveling anywhere....and you think what happened to the light big snow flakes?... that don't stay around much, and barely cover the grass. Gone within 24 hours for the most part..... I see they are advertising nerve tonic on TV now, just in time, heh? But you know hubby and I had this senario when my son was little we put him to bed, watched the huge snowflakes, we were on the computer playing an golf game...well, he was, I kept going into the woods and trying to whack my way out of them...he was long done by then...munching on snacks. He just comes by cool as an cucumber and says...you know you really know how to tackle those trees though...I'v e never seen such great shots at the upper level of an few of them you were doing....not to mention the wizzing through an whole grove and never getting on the green.

Humpt!....now you know why I don' t play much golf with him these days.