Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Marys Church

Wooler

in the county of Northumberland

Aldwych

Westminster

in the county of Greater London

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

How about a new thread 'Picture of the month'

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 11:55 on 17th January 2011

We all know that this is a great site. A amazing database of pictures about the UK. The tools that make this site running are so well linked that browsing through all the pages is very simple. Pictures can be viewed sorted by the day there been posted, but also sorted as posted Today · Yesterday · This Week · Last Week · This Month · Last Month · Previous Months.

The possibility view ‘last month’ gave me the idea for the thread ‘Picture of the month’ Each new month members can view all the pictures of the previous month and make their top 3 of favourite new posted pictures. At the end of the month we calculate which picture is mentioned the most and this one will be elected ‘Picture of the month’. All the elected pictures can be placed in a tour and after 12 month we can choose the picture of the year. Do you think this is possible or is it too complicated. We can do a ‘try out’ with the December pictures and start in February for real.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:39 on 17th January 2011

I think that is a great idea Ted. 

If everyone chose their 3 favourites for the month, it would give a very fair overall look at pictures of all types.

So until the end of January you would like to give it a trial using the December pics (+/- 960 of them), and then in February we chose from the photos submitted in January.  Is that what you are thinking?

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 12:54 on 17th January 2011

Oh! my goodness!  I just went via "my menu" to "my comments" to see what pics I had commented on in December (thought this would be quicker than going page by page, lol).  There are toooooooooooooooo many beautiful pics.  How does one only choose 3????

(Thinks...................... this is going to be really hard!!).

TedPremier Member - Click for more info
Ted
quotePosted at 13:06 on 17th January 2011
It's a great opportunity to see all those wonderful pictures again
Krissy
Krissy
quotePosted at 15:07 on 17th January 2011
I like this idea!
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 19:33 on 17th January 2011

You were right Ted! It was wonderful going through the pictures again! lol, but I ended up with a short list of about 12 pics.  I said this was going to be hard!!

We might need to decide if the pics of choice are uploaded on to the thread (and possibly influence others!!). 

Or we could just put the pic ID number instead, until the closing date and then add the pics themselves.

Beth Austin
Beth Austin
quotePosted at 20:14 on 17th January 2011
what kind of criteria will we need to meet in order to submit or post pics to the site ? What if we wish to post pics but don't want or need to have them judged...but just to post them to share with others ? I like the ideas being expressed here, and look forward to revised plan.
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 20:22 on 17th January 2011

Beth I think the idea is for everyone to just pick from the photos that have already been submitted in December the ones that they personally like. They list the numbers or upload the pics (still to be defined!). 

Then someone would just count which pics have been chosen by the most people - no judging - just personal preferences.  True Democracy!!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 13:40 on 18th January 2011

All POE members get a chance to add comments on the pictures submitted to POE and also to add a "star" rating.  Comments of pleasure, appreciation, encouragement, information and construction are often added.  I wouldn't construe this as judging the picture though, but as a personal expression.

Having said that I think it is important for us to make the effort and add our comments to the pictures submitted on POE - I think it really makes a difference!

So if you haven't been adding comments why not start adding them now while browsing through December's photographs?

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 15:09 on 18th January 2011
Not sure if this is going to happen or not but with much gnashing of teeth, blood, sweat and tears here are three (could have put lots more! lol) of my favourites from the photos submitted in December
Gold
Picture by shaun wilson

Heron
Picture by Jason T

Chanterlands Avenue, Kingston upon Hull
Picture by David A Boothby

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >