Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Kingswear, Devon

Kingswear

in the county of Devon

REEDHAM, NORFOLK. SUNSET VIEW IN OCTOBER FROM 'ROSE COTTAGE'

Reedham

in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Straightening Crooked Photos

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

MikeT
MikeT
quotePosted at 21:26 on 5th July 2013
I find that if I have the time to get the image straight in the viewfinder,  it's generally ok, but if I have to take a quick shot, and it doesn't turn out straight, I just sort it out in windows live gallery simple
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:43 on 5th July 2013

For all I use Photoshop or Elements depending on whether PC or laptop is in use I also find FASTSTONE a very capable FREE programme and tend to use it mainly for viewing my RAW images but it does have a host of other very simple to use, yet powerful, editing tools. Well worth a try for anyone before going to expense of 'paid for' programmes.

But I'm definitley with Mike in trying to get horizons horizontal at the taking stage but sometimes, as with everything, it ain't always possible 

Edited by: Dave John at:6th July 2013 07:50
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 21:47 on 5th July 2013

Tripods, spirit levels, Photoshop et al all have their place of course. We all should strive to capture that perfect image, but very little is perfect. Many cameras have the option of viewing the image through a grid or mesh in the viewfinder along which verticals can be viewed at the time the shutter is pressed. I am well skilled ( to my shame) at taking pictures which are not straight and so use the facility in my Nikon D300 and D70 and it really does help me. I still get carried away and get it wrong often regardless. Using wide angle lenses just adds to the problem, but sometimes the effect can add to the shot. 

Thank goodness for Photoshop etc, as getting it perfect at the time of taking is often beyond me in relation to converging verticals etc. 

But fellow POE members lets just enjoy pressing the shutter and keep smiling. That perfect picture is just over the next crooked horizon.  

MikeT
MikeT
quotePosted at 21:55 on 5th July 2013
Well said Rod, keep taking your photos and enjoy them, even if sometimes they are a bit crooked, because practice does eventually make perfect, I hope
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:59 on 5th July 2013
Couldn't agree more Rod. Nice to get it right of course but enjoying the moment of capture is just as, if not more than, important... Without getting too deep, the perfect image only STARTS in the camera. Exactly the same as in the days of film an image needs to be adjusted in some way or another. Anyone who has not experienced the difference that can be achieved with a bit of 'photoshopping' is missing out on so much. I shoot 90% RAW so post shoot processing is a necessity but great fun also.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:10 on 5th July 2013
well worth trying John but it is actually    FASTSTONE   sorry!!!!
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:55 on 6th July 2013

John, this link...if it works!!! should take you to FASTSTONE

http://www.faststone.org/

If not just put FASTSTONE in Google and it will appear...

Made it clickable...

Edited by: Ron Brind at:6th July 2013 10:50
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 18:54 on 6th July 2013
Thanks Ron, my mistake somewhere along the line....
Pat Trout
Pat Trout
quotePosted at 16:11 on 5th April 2014
I Use Picassa3, its free to download, to straighten my pics
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:30 on 5th April 2014
I've been using iPhoto for years, it has a little idiot button that I tap and it does it all for me Smile