Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Bridgend looking towards Garw valley

Bridgend

in the county of Bridgend

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Full frame or Crop Sensor Digital SLR?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 19:02 on 13th June 2013

The continuous frame rate for the 1Ds MKII was 4 fps, though I very rarely use this feature on any of my cameras. But others may well find it useful, and the D3's rate for its 12 meg RAW images is 9 fps, but needs a rest at around 20 pics to clear the buffer ( and an upgrade was later offered for those who wanted to pay for a larger buffer), but if shooting Jpegs, I think it runs to around 64 images continuous before it catches the buffer up, as the images are being processed and written to the card.

I  find it amazing what's going on inside a Dslr at these sort of speeds taking photos; in the D3's case, 9 times every second it's checking the focus, the exposure, taking the pic and sending it on it's way to be processed.  If a DX lens was fitted ( now 5 meg pic sized), the rate went to 11 fps.

Its full frame stable mate, the D700 ran to 8 fps with the optional grip fitted, or 5 fps without.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:27 on 14th June 2013

My limited experience of sports photography (rowing, athletics etc) has led me to believe that I need a frame rate of at least 5 fps to get decent action shots. My old Canon EOS3 film SLR is capable of 7 fps with its battery booster grip attached. The big downside of  using it at this frame rate was that it could empty a whole 36 exposure film cassette in around 5 seconds !

With film, there were obviously no image processing issues for the camera to worry about. There was some limited processing for exposure and auto-focus, but the limitations of speed were largely mechanical in terms of mirror actuation and film transport.

As you say, with a digital camera, there is a great deal of data processing going on. With the professional DSLRs, the large image size and fast frame rate usually requires multiple processors to handle the data fast enough. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
 Please login to post to this thread...