Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The Pantiles at Royal Tunbridge Wells

Tunbridge Wells

in the county of Kent

Sunset over Oulton Broad on the Norfolk Broads

Oulton

in the county of Norfolk

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Less can be more.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
1 2 3 4 5 Next >

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 16:41 on 1st May 2013

Firstly, I have enjoyed the wonderful diversity of topics and photographs supplied by so many members of POE, and will continue so to do for as long as can.

I really do not wish to offend anyone who contributes pictures to POE, but would like, humbly to suggest to those who don’t caption their work, they might consider taking the time to add a short description about the picture. It would really help at times, especially for those outside the U.K., and add much to the interest of a picture clearly taken for a purpose that might not be evident without a little more information. To further risk my size eight feet trampling on toes, I have noticed an increase in the trend of photographers not only submitting uncaptioned pictures but large batches of them at a time. Maybe I am in a minority here and if so will happily concede and make no further comment.  

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 17:25 on 1st May 2013
I have to agree Rod, not only does it make Ron's job a whole lot easier with choosing in which categories to add them to, it does add so much more interest when, like I, we live outside England and would like to know more of what we are seeing!  
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 18:00 on 1st May 2013

You have no idea how much work it makes.

I also have to edit for obscene comment, spelling mistakes and I have actually written to some POE members asking them to use the description box for the benefit of those looking in. Sadly, with one or two in particular it falls on deaf ears.

Another member continually submits shots, many, many shots of the same scene, building, place, different angle, same scene, b....y boring or what? Needless to say they get deleted, but I almost have to have a photographic memory of what is approved and don't always succeed.

Thank you Rod for bringing this matter to the members forum. I hope he/she takes note

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:02 on 1st May 2013

Absolutey agree Rod, I try to give some narrative with all my pics, informative if possible, if not I attempt to make the comments amusing, sometimes even managing to combine the two. I try not to put too many up at one time for Ron's approval but have to admit to getting carried away occasionally. Only very recently, within the last few days even, I saw one NEW member had uploaded what i reckon must have been approaching 200 pics......IN ONE DAY. If she is reading this I hope she considers taking up the PREMIER membership....definitely another reason capping the upload limits. It's taken me 2 years to get close to 1000 and this member managed 20% of that in one day!!!!!

Don't know how much programming would be required but why not make the narrative box COMPULSORY similar to the star rating box.....a pop up appears telling you that you have not rated the photo and you cannot carry on until you select a star rating. So why not a pop up box asking for information on the submitted image.....

But I must be doing something right....for once in my life.... because so far after 2 years Ron has not once rejected any of my shots......he lost one once and asked me to resubmit (but I put that down to overwork and the formative stages of senilityWink).....only kidding Ron....

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 21:35 on 1st May 2013

LOL@Dave!

I love you too mate...

You know what, it's sometimes very difficult to justify approving some pictures that are not 'quality', but I do try to consider all angles without actually making judgement, because for all I know the photographer could literally have picked up the camera 5 minutes ago and clearly he/she thought it was worth submitting.

Photography today is that easy as you know, but we all had to learn and POE is not surrounded by a vindictive crowd of members waiting to pounce. Quite the opposite I would say which makes it a nice place to submit your pictures, but fill in the b....y description please!! lol  

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:38 on 1st May 2013

Rod , full marks for raising an important subject and like all above can only agree wholeheartedly with all that has been said. As they say one lives and learns, both from reading about the photograph and the fact that it is important to put up the information oneself . I must admit I did not add info to every pic to start with but nowadays will not post without something in writing to compliment the picture even if it is only short merry quip. I cannot boast like Dave that Ron has approved all my pics but at least I think the number can be counted on one hand and as the title of the thread says "less is more" I try to only put up half a dozen or so at any one time, I certainly did think of our Ron the other day when I saw so many pics loaded in the one day- as if the the Man With The Digit hasn't enough to do in the day as it is.

They say" a picture is worth a thousand words "  ---

although on POE they come better with a few choice ones. 

So come on all you good photographers, keep the pics coming, BUT , do put  some words of explanation/humour/information- as well as helping others to appreciate the photo more, time well spent over the pic with a few words of wisdom, it should also be an automatic limit to the volume of pics posted at any one time. ( how many times can you say the same thing over some very repetative images) . The idea of the narrative box being compulsory the Dave suggests is a very sensible idea if it can be applied.

Only hope the offenders read this thread but alas I guess that would be too much to hope for. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:40 on 1st May 2013

And what makes your task even more onerous as you have said before is thatevery photo 'means something' to the person who took it. But I have to say that by and large the quality of photos here is fairly good.... the main problem to my eye being that of sloping horizons!!!!

But keep up the good work Ron, it is very much appreciated by us all

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:52 on 1st May 2013

Why oh why do horizons slope?    

If you were not a surveyor or something similar and you cannot judge a horizontal line - there is a grid pattern on the camera screen that as well as giving you the point of the thirds , it will also show you a horizontal line. If you did tilt the camera and get a slope on the horizon, there is a " Straighten Photograph" function even on the basic built in computer photo editing, apart from the isolated deliberate tilted shot - KEEP IT ON THE LEVEL!!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 21:58 on 1st May 2013
I think you found my pet peeve there gentlemen with photos of falling over buildings and ground sloping perilously.  As you say almost any half decent programme will allow for straightening a photo - if you don't have one try the free editing on www.Ribbet.com or www.picmonkey.com.
MikeT
MikeT
quotePosted at 22:45 on 1st May 2013

Don't think I'm being picky, because I agree with what has been said about the photo information being supplied, and the amount of uploads being submitted, but I don't think people should get on their high horse about photo quality, because some pictures from so called experts I've seen on here are not that good, whereas some photos from "ordinary" photographers are very good. I know Ron has got an hard job sorting things out, but it's not a photo critique site after all, is it?

1 2 3 4 5 Next >