Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Less can be more.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:45 on 8th August 2013

I also find that by putting up a limited number of images it makes me look at them harder and more self-critically to make sure I am putting up the best I can acheive. I also think that by taking into account comments from members helps me decide what to upload in that I like to try to give you what you like. And by doing that I get the humbling satisfaction of all your comments and ratings. And that in turn spurs me on to keep uploading..... 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 20:45 on 8th August 2013
I took around a1000 when we were in Cornwall for 3 weeks, I just uploaded a handful each day, most never even saw the light of day. I agree Martin, common sense is sometimes in short supply.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:52 on 8th August 2013
I got through around 1500 on my last trip to Ambleside and likewise Ruth, the majority will not see much action for a while. If I use 10% over the next few weeks it will be about right. That then leaves plenty to look back at in the future with a fresh eye.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:04 on 8th August 2013
On 8th August 2013 20:01, John Lawrence wrote:

I have just found this thread and it is very interesting and informative. I am quilty of the caption issue,but admit I find it hard when submitting pictures from the same location. I did upload 8 or 9 the other evening and put a caption on the first one, as the title was the same I didn't think I needed to repeat the caption each time, I will look into that and perhaps submit less, unless they have a story to tell.

As for horizons I have a health issue and have no hand eye co-ordination so I am often straightening mine. Using the in camera grid is fine, but sometimes the Horizon is not straight. If I look out to Sea the English Channel appears to go up hill, I do straighten it because I believe it's my eyesight, but it doesn't look right to me.

I do make comments on pictures but have to say I don't if they have put up loads and are not Premier Members. Perhaps that is wrong I dont know.  I am off to the pub for a couple of hours,see you then.

John, you are not a problem uploader at all. You submit good quality images which is reflected in the comments you receive. Nor do you flood the site. As to the lack of captions don't let that worry you either, nor the problem of wonky horizons..... you will soon be correcting them as you gradually aquire your editing skillsWink. Regarding the captions it's just nice to get a bit of backround info to the images...... BUT NOT VITAL. Personally I don't have a problem with commenting on 'non premier' images. If an image is good enough then it deserves recognition. Don't forget PREMIER membership is NOT compulsory. Hence all the debate and discussion about setting upload limits etc.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 21:18 on 8th August 2013
You also have my support John and maybe a few more on here as well,hope you enjoyed your couple of pints.Smilekeep em coming.
MikeT
MikeT
quotePosted at 21:35 on 8th August 2013

Your fine John, nothing wrong with your uploads, you post just about the right amount of good photos, very nice to see & comment on.

I have nothing against none members, provided they upload a modest amount each time, then it's fair for everyone

Edited by: MikeT at:8th August 2013 21:40
Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 21:54 on 8th August 2013
  I have to put my ten pennyworth in but cannot add to what has already been said as here on this thread we are all singing off of the same hymn sheet . The 5-10 is a good figure and I find it is closer to 5 for me and I do not upload every day, putting as much info up also helps to self regulate as well. AND do the high uploaders take the time to look at others pics let alone post a comment on them? Common sense is a wonderful thing.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:02 on 8th August 2013

You know what folks, this is so difficult and for various reasons. I am assured by Chris and Sarah that they are looking (and have been looking) at this issue for a long time, but respectfully it's a lot more complicated than you might think.

Chris and Sarah tell me they are working on various things to better the site, but I have to say that if I owned the site I would be a lot quicker to react to those who are a little over the top sometimes. That said, I will remind C&S of this discussion and point them to this thread again, in the hope that they can do something more quickly.

Please remember that whatever they do has to be balanced with finances and time! They use developers/programmers (call them what you will) those who write the code to make it legible for us, and they charge for what they do, paid for from donations etc!

It's a vicious circle because if they don't get the donations they struggle with the huge hosting bill. All the more reason to cut the numbers of images submitted I hear you say, but that won't help. In fact it actually does harm because every image approved is effectively a different POE page and gives them more opportunity to raise funds from adverts, online bookings, new memberships etc (few that they are) but to delete them would reduce that earning capability so you see it's difficult. I ask that you don't even consider doing that thinking it will help, it won't!

C&S will see your comments and will resolve the issue when they can. In the meantime I ask that you bear with us (them) but by all means do keep voicing your opinion, because thats the way things do get changed, albeit eventually!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 22:20 on 8th August 2013
Ron, i don't think any of are of the impression that is easy to run this great site. Chris and Sarah do a bloody good job balancing family and poe. We are all on their side. We want the site to flourish too. I know this dilemma has been running a lot longer than this thread. Which is why i think an 'all members' bulletin might be opportune at this time. Not just for the uploading issue but also another push for membership donations. I also reckon that none of were aware of the potential revenue issue from every image...... I certainly did not look at it that way! We all live and learn. But as you know only too well Ron we are all 100% behind Chris and Sarah in whatever decisions they make to keep this family together.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:39 on 8th August 2013

Potential revenue from the 'page' that the image creates Dave, not the image creating revenue, a subtle difference, but I think you understand and I just wanted to make it clear.

I have said previously that changes are on the way and they are, but it's far too slow and it's annoying the very people who support POE most of all, so I am with you every step of the way and will do what I can to chase up Chris and Sarah (even though they won't like me saying that) to get automatic renewals of memberships, the sale of your images to earn both you and POE money, a newsletter and so on.

There is so much that could be done to the POE site to help raise more funds, we live in hope!

Thanks for your support members, I know you all mean well and are only looking out for Chris and Sarah (and POE of course). Thank you.