Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Less can be more.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 07:04 on 9th August 2013
On 8th August 2013 22:39, Ron Brind wrote:

Potential revenue from the 'page' that the image creates Dave, not the image creating revenue, a subtle difference, but I think you understand and I just wanted to make it clear.

Hi Ron, I understood that fully......just my fingers missed words that i thought i had typed......... as usual i hear you say!!!!!

But thanks again for the clarification of the points we have raised and I'm sure we all be patient and see what transpires.

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:33 on 9th August 2013
Thanks for understanding, and your appreciation friends. For my part I will have a chat with Chris and Sarah on your behalf, in the hope that we can put this to bed once and for all.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 10:14 on 14th August 2014

I have noticed an increase in the number of images submitted lately which seem to show a number of very similar views of the same scene. I have been guilty of this myself at times, but I try to avoid it.

Interestingly, I have just realised there is a listing in the Members Directory which shows the ranking of members according to the total number of pictures they have submitted. Some of the top ranking members are well-travelled and have ticked the boxes for many different locations, so their position on the list is well justified. However, some are those who have a number of very similar views of the same thing.

I appear as Number 58, with 515 pictures. I have been a member since 2005, so this equates to roughly one picture uploaded per week on average. Is this reasonable ?  I am selective as to what I upload to PoE, knowing that server storage costs money. I am also acutely aware that much of what I take is rubbish, and I often delete images straight off the camera without bothering to download them to the PC. Am I being too picky ?

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 12:02 on 14th August 2014

The fact that I commented on any picture, John, was because it caught my eye and I found it interesting in some way. I  would not bother to comment on a picture that I thought was bland and boring. Anything I might say, I hope is said in a constructive way. 

Similarly, I welcome comments on any of my own images. As you say, at least it proves someone has looked at it. After all, this is a public forum, and as long as the comments are not abusive to the person, it's all fair game.  

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 23:52 on 14th August 2014

Recently, there have, once again, been a lot of pictures submitted by photographers of a single place, many with just a shift of lighting. For me, it is just so boring. These photographers also seem all too happy to submit, but reluctant to give the viewer any information about the images. Maybe it would involve too much time for these people to take the trouble to make the seemingly endless flow of similar images more meaningful. I find it a real turn off, and I am losing interest in trawling through what I consider a load of self indulgent dross. My opinion only, and I am after all, a grumpy old man, maybe with a low boredom threshold. 

I would far rather see one good single picture with a caption than a dozen or more mediocre pictures straight out of the camera.

So, now I will return to a dark room (not a darkroom) for a while and hope next time I look at the latest pictures, not to just want to turn away to look  elsewhere. 

I still love POE but am finding a bit hard right now. Sorry to all you who continue to submit delightful, interesting and well exposed pictures of England. You are the backbone of all that is good about POE.  

Edited by: james prescott at:15th August 2014 16:23
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 18:27 on 15th August 2014
On 14th August 2014 23:52, Rod Burkey wrote:

I would far rather see one good single picture with a caption than a dozen or more mediocre pictures straight out of the camera.

Well said Rod.
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 18:32 on 15th August 2014

I also agree with Rod 100%Smile

42 there off one poster???

Edited by: james prescott at:15th August 2014 19:12
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 00:17 on 16th August 2014

Cheers gentlemen!  I know, I vented my spleen a bit, but I love POE and just hate to see it marred by those who  download all they take of a place. 

Since 1st July, I have taken at least one picture a day as a way of stretching myself. It has been easy some days, especially as we have been away for two weeks in New England, but on other days it has made me just get out with the Nikon looking for something I like. Rest assured, I  would not inflict some of the images on others, as they would be meaningless to many, and the others were not captured in England. Truly, I only share pictures that I feel have some potential  interest for others. 

It would be interesting to hear the view of someone who downloads a large batch of pictures at a time to POE.  

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:16th August 2014 00:19
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 14:36 on 16th August 2014
Correct John ( nice to see you by the way ) the only comments I ever get are from regulars, never from the bulk up loaders. I started commenting on their pictures but never got anything in return, it might sound mean but I've  given up bothering. It just takes ages now to search through the latest pictures to find the odd one or two from the regular contributors who take the time to make comments.
Martin Humphreys
Martin Humphreys
quotePosted at 19:53 on 27th August 2014
Hi all , I don't often wonder on to the forums, but like Ruth say's above it does seem to be only the "regulars" who bother to pass comment these days, which is a shame considering how many members there are. As I mentioned on the comments page, I would like to say a "thank you" to all who continue to comment on my efforts & especially on one or two of the most recent ones, some of which I nearly never bothered to upload. Always difficult to try & pick out the best or most interesting ones that people might enjoy & to show how gorgeous this country of ours is ?   
 Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5