Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Old Town, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex

Bexhill

in the county of East Sussex

Gates leading to Meaburn Hall, Maulds Meaburn, Cumbria

Maulds Meaburn

in the county of Cumbria

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Can a photo have too much.

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Robert E. Speicher
Robert E. Speicher
quotePosted at 14:05 on 5th March 2015
 I love looking at photos of the country side very much. One thought keeps coming up of what is the "center point" in some photos. I look at some and I find my eyes moving all over trying to find what made the person take the photo. I, sometimes, try "cropping" to find the main point and cannot find them. "Grand" landscapes can become too grand; and they can cause people to just glance and move on. I, no longer, go out due to physical problems; so seeing photos here kind of lets me "be there" and enjoy the view. There are so many great photos, with a little "for seeing" before releasing the shutter, could really "jump out" to the viewer.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 14:49 on 5th March 2015

An interesting point Robert.

I don't think it matters who we are meaning amateur, or professional photographers we will always have a different opinion as to what 'catches the eye' or what the 'centre point' is as you refer, if indeed this is how an image is viewed

I have no doubt that some would say "if that were mine I would have done it this way or that way, cropped here or there" but I think that's exactly what makes us different and why POE has such a varied selection to ponder.

Anyway, thanks for starting the new thread, I am sure others will comment in due course.

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 22:22 on 5th March 2015
Just in case POE members missed this thread from Robert I bring it back to the top for comment!
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 22:24 on 5th March 2015
I thought we may have had a couple of commentsSmile

quote | editPosted at 23:52 on 5th March 2015
Often, one can view a scene which is stunning, then try to capture it with a camera only to be saddened by the resulting images. The eye, coupled with the brain is a truly wonderful combination. Certainly, my attempts at landscapes often end up being deleted, never shown to anyone else. For my part, I can be awfully bored by photographic landscapes, but understand just how fabulous the original location was. My blinkered view makes me enjoy uncluttered compositions, making an easy route for my peepers to navigate. 
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 10:53 on 6th March 2015
Over 50 views and just two comments, wonder why?
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:08 on 6th March 2015
Seemingly, a lack of interest in photography as presented in the original post. Bit of a shame. I enjoy discussing photography, but maybe topics like the weather and quizz type subjects appeal more to most of those who look at the forums. 

Edited by: Rod Burkey at:6th March 2015 15:15
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:00 on 7th March 2015

Hi Rod and thank you very much for posting.

As for your observations within, it wasn't long ago that one member in particular suggested that anything other than photography related threads had no place in the POE forum, but he hasn't managed the decency to respond to Roberts original post!

If you are now wondering why, just take a look at other posts that I have commented on, or that I have started recently and the result is the same with a few regulars who have decided between themselves to 'send me to Coventry' and thus feel unable to participate, which in effect is punishing the member who started the thread.

Look at the number of views that each of my new threads has had. You can see from those views that they are looking and they want to know what's going, but their own stubborn attitude stops them from keeping this a family friendly forum. It's pathetic and very childish, playground behaviour, from people who should know better, but who might after reading this feel an ounze of guilt and get back to what the POE forum is about, which is anything interesting less banned, or abusive subjects.

One thing for sure is that I won't allow them to wear me down. I have been helping Chris and Sarah with POE for 10 years or more and will continue to do so until instructed otherwise.

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 16:52 on 7th March 2015

Well said Ron.

The forums are, and should be about anything that will provoke some thought or amusement.

It does slightly sadden me that the POE forums have so little about photography, but that is all in the hands of those who contribute, and also I suppose, those who do not.

Like most, I enjoy a diverse selection of interests but probably would prefer not to bore others with some of them. I mean, who on earth would be remotely interested in pogo sticking over red hot coals dressed in full evening dress?    

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 16:53 on 7th March 2015
Oh, yes, I should have added that I never send anyone to Coventry.