Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Overton, Shropshire

Overton

in the county of Shropshire

Carisbrooke Village, Isle of Wight

Carisbrooke

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Is it Okay to Shout Abuse at Women?

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 11:09 on 6th March 2015

Thank you for looking, I refer to women if football.

It turns a probably reasonably 'normal' bloke into an abusive person at a supposed game, of what is described as sport? I don't attend football matches anywhere any longer, but just don't understand why there is a need for such abuse.

So dear POE friends, what is your opinion and why do you think the male of the species turns into an arrogant, irresponsible person at some football matches?

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 15:29 on 6th March 2015

It's never right to shout out abuse at anyone. However, the tap rooms of pubs and sporting stadiums used to be places for men to blow off steam. Pubs are now less likely to have public bars and stag bars are illegal. More and more women are going to watch and take part in football. Human nature can be unfortunate and with time, will shift. Political correctness is liked by nobody openly but like water, finds it's own level. 

I no longer attend football games, as all the simulation annoys me, like pro wrestling. Now, I watch Rugby League, a sport which attracts many women and atmosphere really is very cordial and healthy.  

Hope I've not offended anyone. If I have, please put it down to me being an ageing man. 

James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 15:38 on 6th March 2015
I also watch Rugby League Rod  but not "live" these days due to a couple of reasons--but even that is changing --the officials are not consistant enough and the presentation on skye is something that needs to be looked at.
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 19:11 on 7th March 2015

We also watch Rugby and pretty much for the same reasons Rod, James but the abuse shown on television at a football match recently is surely out of order?

Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:42 on 8th March 2015
Bounced just in case it has been missed, although nearly 60 views tells a story
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 15:37 on 9th March 2015
I agree with John the answer to the question is No

It isn't just women. 

Abuse, in my opinion never acceptable no matter to whom it is aimed. My feelings are that in recent years with the rise of the Internet abuse in all its forms has got worse. Verbal abuse seems to have been replaced with written abuse on a grand scale. The likes of Facebook and Twitter seem to be a breeding ground for mindless, thoughtless, inconsiderate morons who for no reason whatsoever start picking on people they don't know. I have personal knowledge of these written forms of abuse, some leading to suicides and at least one to murder.

Forums are another place which seem increasingly to be a footplate for certain individuals to launch into a tirade of abuse, or antagonistic behaviour to other members for no apparent reason. 

The perpetrators know nothing of their 'victims' personal circumstances, state of mind, morals, beliefs, opinions, yet they are quite happy to ride roughshod over everything that person stands for, including their personal convictions to which we are all entitled. To me these people are sadly lacking in any sort of moral code, respect, and certainly lack a basic level of intelligence, on top of that they are downright inconsiderate and rude.

I've seen many an innocent forum topic degenerate into a personal attack on one or two individuals,  personally not only does it make me sick, but I also have to wonder about the people who find pleasure in instigating the attack initially. Perhaps they should get off their backsides and get a life, take some fresh air and really think about what they are doing, sadly this isn't going to happen, we are talking about life's megalomaniacs, and we've all come across them. The small minority who want to take charge when they have obviously no right to do so, therefore ruining  things for the majority.

Abuse is not going to go away its been around for thousands of years, the best any of us can do is rise above it, and if we see blatant cases of abuse take the necessary action to deal with the individual responsible. Sadly that person is usually too thick skinned to realise they are in the wrong.

So that's my take on this topic, be it right or be it wrong it's the way I see the situation.

I've taken my time in getting round to reply to this thread due to family circumstances, and also I have been quite ill.
Sk Lawson
Sk Lawson
quotePosted at 16:02 on 9th March 2015

Where were you at this weekend when hubby was acting like an 10 year old?...no football involved. They have classes now for that...how to get your point across without being abusive..but I  have an " head shrink" doctor... living catty corner wise from our house across on the corner if you all need some help. For today I have to go out and re-do everything " boozo" yesterday destroyed "doing things his way" with the yard. By last night I was pretty unhappy and glad the day had ended..so if you don' t mind I have to go pick up the pieces so as to say and better get to work at doing it...cause it won't do it its-self and there's rain headed here from Wednesday onward. I know an few women that are rougher then any man I've known...except my hubby when he's acting like an 10 year old.. and I can see where guys really do see them as women libbers these days...they are shovey and pushy so to say it nicely. But I've had men that acted consending to women also...as if they don't know anything and aren't as good as any guy can be also...some of those is what lost our business I use to work at...and my brother is on wife number four now because of his attitude. So perhaps its an individual thing? More so then the athletic game being palyed at the moment.

I think that's what should of been said..."Hey..this is ONLY an game"...just walk away if your upset with it."...and then leave their prescence. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:02 on 9th March 2015

Yep, being in the business you were in personal abuse is all part of the job unfortunately. My eldest stepdaughter has been called everything from A to Z when she has to stop or arrest people, and a lot of the worst abuse comes from women

On the other hand she told me she was once interviewing a fellow prior to booking him for some offence and he said ' I don't mind you booking me, your well smart!!

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:07 on 9th March 2015
On 9th March 2015 19:05, John Lawrence wrote:
At least he wasn't abusive!

I reckon he probably was initially when collared!!
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 16:19 on 12th March 2015
Sadly most of the abuse hurled at me wasn't from the ones you'd expect, but the so called respectable members of society who you'd think would know better, but alas no. It's amazing how people who strive to come across as pillars of the community can turn into nasty pieces of work.
 Please login to post to this thread...