Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

St Michael and All Angel's Church

Hallaton

in the county of Leicestershire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Enlarged Photos

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Stephen
Stephen
quotePosted at 08:03 on 7th May 2015

Premiership members are able to view enlarged photos but I wonder if the photos can be enabled to be viewed at the original resolution, or at least can the enlargements be made larger.  An enlarged portrait photo isn't much bigger  than the  one we click on and the landscape photos  go from 5.5 inches / 3.75  to  about 10 inches/ 6.5.

I presume the reason we don't see the original size is because of bandwidth. 

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:14 on 7th May 2015

Hi Stephen.

Nice to see a new thread started here in the forum, other than it be by me having done it.

I would think you are correct in what you suggest, but as I don't have the definitive answer I will bring this post to the attention of Chris and/or Sarah for comment.

Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 16:53 on 7th May 2015
Interesting one this. Some pictures really come alive when seen at more like the original size. 
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 19:40 on 7th May 2015

An interesting point as Rod says, Stephen. It has to be said that some images really do stand out when viewed at the larger option. Just looking on my 22" 1600 x 900 res screen it seems that a landscape image could be increased by around 30% to almost fill the screen. Portrait orientated imgaes are a bit different in that the depth of the screen limits much more than maybe 10-15%. So that could a good thing for Chris and Sarah to consider incorporating.

If by 'original resolution' you mean the size at which the image is uploaded to POE I don't think that would work. POE request max size of 8MB and I feel, by having run some images through a couple of editing programmes, that images of that size would be considerably bigger that the physical screen itself, possibly 2 or 3 times as big?? Also the use of high res images would increase the possibilities of any copying of images by the more unscrupulous user. The average 'large image' on POE at present comes in at somewhere around 400-500mb which by any standards is not any use for printing etc, so that also may be a reason that POE use such low res images but I am sure bandwidth will play a huge part in it too.

Other sites I know of have the 'save' or 'copy' capability blocked on the right click menus. This is also something that Chris and Sarah might like to consider. That way the only way anyone could copy an image would by making a screen dump which would result in a very small image indeed.

Stephen
Stephen
quotePosted at 20:21 on 7th May 2015

Thanks for your input Dave.

Agreed the original resolution would be too large. Your suggestion of two times larger  would be sufficient. I didn't really notice too much when i had my old 17 inch 4x3 screen but now I have a 19 inch x 10   landscape screen, not huge but the images do look quite small on it. 

Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 20:36 on 7th May 2015
Yes the proportions of the screen do make a difference and take a bit of getting used to
Patrick Hogan
Patrick Hogan
quotePosted at 21:30 on 7th May 2015

Hi,

Another concideration is that potential purchasers of our images only get to see the small image............... It is very unlikely they are 'Premier ' members.

rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 21:32 on 7th May 2015
A very good point Patrick, one that I did wonder about previously.
Dave John
Dave John
quotePosted at 21:37 on 7th May 2015
A very valid point Patrick and one that I have to admit has not crossed my mind before
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:08 on 8th May 2015
On 7th May 2015 19:40, Dave John wrote:

>>>>> Other sites I know of have the 'save' or 'copy' capability blocked on the right click menus. This is also something that Chris and Sarah might like to consider. That way the only way anyone could copy an image would by making a screen dump which would result in a very small image indeed.

The blocking of the right click menu doesnt stop a determined viewer from saving the displayed image. The image you see on the screen is always saved in your browser's cache, and can be copied from the cache without much difficulty.

On the general point of allowing larger size downloads, this would encourage piracy of images,  and would no doubt increase the data usage cost for PoE.