St Helens

in the county of Merseyside

Greenwich Cables Cars at Sunset

Greenwich

in the county of Greater London

Matlock Bath

Matlock Bath

in the county of Derbyshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Can We Keep On Posting Pictures ? - Not if Brussels Have Their Way !!!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 22:19 on 30th June 2015
  Not sure of all the details yet but just seen a headline in AP that suggests that uploading and sharing /selling pictures of public buildings is to be restricted and the permission must first be gained from the architect of any such building prior to posting and royalties to be paid on any sales. The artilcle from AP published in The Times stated that buildings such as The Shard or the London Eye would be prime examples. Not sure how extensive these proposed changes are to be if proposed and passed or how strongly cases would be proposed. One to watch maybe?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rod BurkeyPremier Member - Click for more info
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 01:04 on 1st July 2015
All seems a bit daft to me. Surely the EU has more pressing priorities. 
rustyruth
rustyruth
quotePosted at 09:13 on 1st July 2015

I have to agree with Rod. Another question is, with all the thousands of photos taken every day - who is going to police this ?

What if the architect is dead Undecided 

Edited by: rustyruth at:1st July 2015 20:26
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 00:56 on 2nd July 2015

There are already many restrictions on photography on private property, for example when on National Trust properties, in shopping centres, concert venues, galleries, museums etc.

If the property is privately owned, then the owner can place any restrictions they like if the photographer is actually on the property in question. Sometimes, the ban is just on commercial photography (as in the case of the National Trust) or may be an outright ban in the case of most shopping centres (which are not public places in the legal sense of the word),. 

If, however, you are photographing from a public location (e.g. the street) then I believe that photography of anything is permissible, provided of course you are not harassing anybody. Photos which include recognisable faces might be problematic, although this does not seem to deter the paparazzi.

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 14:30 on 2nd July 2015

Carry on regardless and damn the torpedoes. 

Over the years, I suppose I have been stopped a few times in shopping precincts, and another time outside a customs building. I just smile and go on my way. No future in chalenging brain dead security guards. Only causes potential,unnecessary damage to one's visage! Might improve mine though. I have never been approached at National Trust properties and land. Maybe I look harmless. 

But, i've never gone 'plane spotting in foreign lands with my zoom lens attached to the trusty Nikon. An old chum of mine used to go to Eastern Europe taking pictures of steam locomotives and as far as I know never got stopped.

Finally, no offence meant to any security guards out there.

Cheers,

Dor Yekrub.

Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 17:33 on 2nd July 2015

I have also been stopped from taking pictures (it was from the top of a multi-storey car park). The Security Guard was quite polite and I thought later he might have been concerned for my well-being. Perhaps my 'Victor Meldrew' persona made him think I might jump. But any serious photographer would not end it all with his beloved camera around his neck. 

As regards photography in other countries, I note your comments, Rod, and it is wise to be mindful of local laws and customs and be extra-cautious and keep the camera hidden near military installations. A bit of verbal chastisement in the UK is nothing compared with being banged up in some foreign jail. 

Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 19:05 on 2nd July 2015
Well said Edward. Try to know what you are doing and where you are doing it. 
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 22:39 on 8th July 2015

The issue they're on about is known as freedom of panorama if anyone cares to see what this is. France and Belgium are two countries that, for sure, haven't supported this freedom for years and have alsorts of restrictions, permissions needed, and royalties that should be paid to etc.

if the proposals to EU uniformity to match these two ever come to fruition, heaven knows how many, likely millions, of photos would have to be removed from countless websites?  

As only a few months ago, some terrorists have been instructed to specifically target UK shopping centres. If I were to wander around a shopping centre taking photos all over the place and didn't get pulled up on what I was doing, I'd be wondering what else have the security guards missed that could be a threat to the centre itself and/ or the people visiting it? 

Vince Hawthorn
Vince Hawthorn
quotePosted at 23:22 on 8th July 2015
 I was just going to add that this is to do with " Freedom Of Panorama" but I see Paul has just raised this. As Paul says many many websites would have to remove images and Facebook would be no exception, just a shot of friends or family with a recognisable building in the background would be affected. Do not forget all the calenders on the shop shelves and pictures in magazines and books- the list is endless. AND the debate to penalise anyone who likes to take a picture or two takes place TOMORROW- 9/07/2015. There are a number of articles on this on the web and Amateur Photographer magazine has been quite vocal on the subject. It seems we could take photos but not share or publish them.
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 08:12 on 10th July 2015
Thanks Paul and Vince for directing my attention to 'Freedom of Panorama'. I have just checked on the AP Website and the move to axe freedom of panorama has been rejected by the European Parliament, at least for the time being.