Over 140,000 photos of England.
17,000+ Members
Click here to join the community
Pictures of England

Exploring the most Picturesque & Historic parts of England..

People in Pictures

Rod Burkey
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 09:58 on 12th December 2016
Sadly I have not seen many images with people included since the last entry here. I wonder why not? 
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Edward Lever
Edward Lever
quotePosted at 19:41 on 12th December 2016
I like to include people in some of my pictures, to add interest, but usually only if the people are not the dominant theme in the picture. I am aware that candid street photography can be seen as intrusive these days, and I steer clear of close-up shots of strangers. The famous street photographers in the past do not seem to have worried though. Perhaps in years gone by, before digital, photography was more of a novelty and people didn't mind being snapped on film. 
Ron BrindPremier Member - Click for more info
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 08:48 on 17th December 2016

Today, I think it really is a case of 'hey, why are you taking a picture of me' if they happen to see you that is, and if they don't see you and it appears on screen they immediately think 'I wonder how much money I can make from that, because I didn't give them permission to take it'.

Sadly the potential law suite and/or compensation affects our brains, probably because most of us don't have any money!

Comment aside I would take the picture and face the consequences, because I would be of the opinion that I had taken it from a 'photographers' point of view and therefore it was of interest generally. Question has to be asked, how do the television companies get away with it, because they show clips of the public?

Rod Burkey
Rod Burkey
quotePosted at 17:20 on 17th December 2016

I think that most city streets are seldom empty of people. Intrusive photography, ie getting into a stranger's face could result in the camera being ingested by the photogrsoher, with some justification. Using a wide angle lens in a crowded place might sound daunting, but the reality is that the actual field of vision is not apparent to anyone except the photographer. Being unobtrusive is a skill, but pays off. In truth, I seldom go out of my way to single out people whilst taking street photography, but sometimes it is irresistible. Street performers by and large love being photographed, especually when a pound is put n their pot or hat. 

I'd still like to see more human content in the images submitted to POE, but I am in a pretty obvious minority.  

Please login to post to this thread...