'; ?>
Pictures of England

Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Shanklin Cottages

Shanklin

in the county of Isle of Wight

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

English villages

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 00:43 on 30th May 2009
LOL! God bless Paul, he is a virtual encyclopedia of information. I'd love to have him as a guest at a dinner party...we'd all be up for hours! Smile
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 00:55 on 30th May 2009

Paging Paul Hilton!  Paul, where are you??

I just went thru some of Paul's pics, and I'll bet this village of Lacock is as charming as they come. 

Film making at Lacock, Wiltshire
Picture by Paul Hilton

Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 00:59 on 30th May 2009

Wow, I just noticed this in the slide show across the top of the page.  Very charming village.  In Wales, I believe.

Chepstow
Picture by chris williams

Diana Sinclair
Diana Sinclair
quotePosted at 01:00 on 30th May 2009
Wow, I love that picture of Paul's...that must have been a festival of some sort. What fun it would have been to be there.
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 01:04 on 30th May 2009

No it wasn't a festival.  The title of the picture is "Film Making at Lacock."  So they must have been filming one of those period pieces we all love so much.  Is that Mr. Darcy on the carriage?  lol

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 02:00 on 30th May 2009
On 30th May 2009 01:04, Ruth Gregory wrote:

No it wasn't a festival.  The title of the picture is "Film Making at Lacock."  So they must have been filming one of those period pieces we all love so much.  Is that Mr. Darcy on the carriage?  lol

Hi Diana and Ruth; you're right Ruth, they were filming  Tom Brown's School Days and on the coach is Tom Brown on his way to school in Rugby, I believe.  Written by novelist Thomas Hughes, born in the village of Uffington, Oxfordshire.

Villages--I think Windsor is a bit too big to count as a village, though it once was. But, there is a village that is a city and that's St David's in Wales, granted city status by virtue of it having a cathedral and thus the smallest city in Britain. It was Henry VIII who initiated the idea that towns with cathedrals could henceforth call themselves cities, though today, that's no longer a requirement, but does explain why such places as Winchester, Salisbury, Coventry, York, for example, are cities, and not towns.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:30th May 2009 04:56
Debbie Adams
Debbie Adams
quotePosted at 02:58 on 30th May 2009

Thats what i love to drive around and see the Villages, I will have to make notes of these you guys are talking about. great pictures to Paul,

BTW, Paul are you a professional photographer?

Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 05:21 on 30th May 2009

Interesting question Debbie and flattered you should ask. I'm a photo enthusiast that spends a lot of time and money on my hobby. Though having said that, over the years, my photos have been published in various national magazines, brochures, newspapers for example, and do the very occasional wedding for friends.  In the main, cameras/lenses used are Nikon's professional ones. I've had the occasional commisions for work from multi-national companies.

Though started out many years ago working at a London studio, I don't have formal qualifications as such, though spend a lot of time studying the work of various European and American professional photographers to try to emulate what they have done; there's a lot of talented people out there. Perhaps when I retire in the next few years, I'll consider going full time, but at the moment, it's just a past time for me I enjoy.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:30th May 2009 06:34
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 07:11 on 30th May 2009
On 30th May 2009 01:04, Ruth Gregory wrote:

Mr Darcy, Ruth?  Might have been as Pride and Prejudice was filmed at Lacock as well, but not in this photo. Smile
Ruth Gregory
Ruth Gregory
quotePosted at 20:47 on 30th May 2009

Thanks for all the great info, Paul.  We visited the town of Lismore in County Waterford in Ireland.  I've posted some of my pics of Lismore Castle here.  A few months after we got back from our trip over there, we were watching "Northanger Abbey, and when they showed the exteriors, I said, "Hey, I know that place."  And sure enough, it was filmed at Lismore Castle.  That was kind of exciting, to tune in to one of those great British period pieces and there's a place you've visited.

Here's one of the shots.  It's a charming village too, albeit in Ireland.  I guess it's more of a town than a village.

Entrance to Lismore Castle
Picture by Ruth Gregory

Please login to post to this thread...
< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6