Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

'Pretty in Pink' Woolpit, Suffolk

Woolpit

in the county of Suffolk

Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation Canal

Maldon

a Seaside Town in the county of Essex

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

Suggestions Wanted for England Trip

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Mark White
Mark White
quotePosted at 00:18 on 17th February 2009
On 16th February 2009 20:30, Barb wrote:
Funny, you are on your way to the UK, I'm on my way to the USA! Cool 

Well I'm still in the planning stages, but I feel a big pull to visit sooner rather than later. Where are you headed in the states?
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Barbara Shoemaker
Barbara Shoemaker
quotePosted at 14:40 on 18th February 2009
Having only been to London, North Wales, and the Cotswolds area, I nonetheless recommend the Cotswolds as a concentrated area of beautiful countryside, rolling hills, charming villages, castles, and all that.  But from what I've seen here at POE, England is fairly bursting with beautiful countryside with lots of space between the cities.  You're really spoiled for choice.  I imagine one consideration in making your choice is your mode of transportation (rental car, bus/coach tours, rail) and how far afield you plan to go from the airport.  I can't wait to go back someday and explore some of the other areas that I've discovered here.  Enjoy your trip!
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 20:59 on 19th February 2009
pity you only have one week but if you want the true england you must visit Lanchashire, its got the lot and the people are much frendlier the farther north you go. Fly direct to Manchester, hire a car and head for the Ribble Valley (30 miles north of Manchester and about 1 hours drive) as your base, set in beautiful  countryside, every kind of interest/entertainment can be found less than 30 miles in any direction, the list of pastimes is endless. from your base you can walk, drive, take a bus or train. The history is fantastic, the scenery is stunning whether countryside or beachside. do your homework before you come but you'll want to come back again and again. The prices are much cheaper than the south of england and the people are so welcoming that they will give you what you cant afford. have a day in the Lake district or visit Bronte Country just over the County border in Haworth Yorkshire, all within an hours traveling time, but I bet you stay put, soaking up the hospitality of this overlooked an unspoilt location. Pst!! Dont tell everyone, we like it as it is lol. Best time to visit is late May to september, unless you like the winter season. Check out the pics of Lancashire on this site.
Mark White
Mark White
quotePosted at 01:30 on 20th February 2009
I really appreciate all of the suggestions, keep them coming. I'm a little bit away from booking (work travel has priority right now) but I'm more ready with each post. Thanks again.
Phil Jobson
Phil Jobson
quotePosted at 10:48 on 20th February 2009

Mark,

If you must visit England instead of Australia (!!!) then, I suggest (and I'm speaking from the point of view of a visitor myself) then you must visit Yorkshire. (I know Ron, I can hear your howls of protest already!).. Base yourself in somewhere central like Thirsk and then branch out in wide arcs from there: to York, Castle Howard, Coxwold, Byland Abbey, Rieavaulx Abbey, Fountains Abbey, Whitby, Haworth. It is all there: history, scenery, atmosphere, wonder!!! 

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 21:20 on 6th March 2009
i dont think you'll be dissapionted wherever you decide to stay, do your homework , avoide big cities if you can, (unless you want big cities). The sites, the people and the food vary, we have it all. (I once read that someone in the States brought their own food over with them because they were told we eat strange food lol. This may have been the case in the 2nd world war due to shortages but you can get what you want these days, even Big Macs lol
Jen Strath
Jen Strath
quotePosted at 02:09 on 8th March 2009
My suggestion is to do Chester, Shrewsbury, Ludlow and Hereford/Worcester or vice versa. A neglected area of England but very beautiful and less crowds and thus less costly.
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 08:13 on 8th March 2009
On 8th March 2009 02:09, Jen Strath wrote:
My suggestion is to do Chester, Shrewsbury, Ludlow and Hereford/Worcester or vice versa. A neglected area of England but very beautiful and less crowds and thus less costly.

Hey Jen!!  your giving away all our secret areas now!!!SurprisedLaughing
 Please login to post to this thread...