Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Laxey Wheel from the Snaefell Mountain Railway

Laxey

in the county of Isle of Man

Pilley, Hampshire

Pilley

in the county of Hampshire

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

It's booked !

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 14:35 on 27th February 2009
I certainly think you'll enjoy your holiday in the areas mentioned within those very pretty counties in the West Country, and Wells has a lovely cathedral. Not far from there is Glastonbury where the first Christian church in England was built atop Glastonbury Tor. Is that on your itinerary too? For places of English legends and strange goings on, Glastonbury must rate amongst the top of them from days of olde.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:37 on 27th February 2009
Whilst you are near Chedder gorge take a look at near-by Whooky Hole, a system of underground caves, worth a visit. (take some nice pics in there) Also Yeovil have an Air museum where you can go inside the first British Concorde and read test-pilot Brian Trubshaw's  notes on its first flight (again some nice pics.)
lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 14:39 on 27th February 2009
On 27th February 2009 14:35, Paul Hilton wrote:
I certainly think you'll enjoy your holiday in the areas mentioned within those very pretty counties in the West Country, and Wells has a lovely cathedral. Not far from there is Glastonbury where the first Christian church in England was built atop Glastonbury Tor. Is that on your itinerary too? For places of English legends and strange goings on, Glastonbury must rate amongst the top of them from days of olde.

stay away from here at festival time though unless you have taken your 'wellies' lol
Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 15:11 on 27th February 2009

Glastonbury and shaftesbury is on our lists as well

Whookey hole is a great name but our agenda is full

Stephanie Jackson
Stephanie Jackson
quotePosted at 19:20 on 27th February 2009
Wookey Hole is a great place - Michael is right. They have the old fairground exhibition as well there. Glastobury Tor is great too - when I was a child I was sure I was going to discover the Holy Grail when we went there! Cheddar is wonderful too.
Paul HiltonPremier Member - Click for more info
Paul Hilton
quotePosted at 20:10 on 27th February 2009
On 27th February 2009 15:11, patrick van calck wrote:

Glastonbury and shaftesbury is on our lists as well.

At the immediate rear of the church in Shaftesbury town centre, is the top of Gold Hill where my photo was taken.  Afternoon would be best to get the sun to light up the cottages which face west.   Scenes from near this region can be found amongst the paintings of John Constable.

Edited by: Paul Hilton at:27th February 2009 20:12
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 21:12 on 27th February 2009
Oh yeah!! Wookey hole is fantastic!!!
Jason T
Jason T
quotePosted at 21:13 on 27th February 2009
On 27th February 2009 09:19, patrick van calck wrote:
We've finally booked our holliday!! We'll be landing in Bristol and go directly to dartmoor national Park. After a short stay in Torquay it's up to Wells from where we're going to visit cheddar gorge, stourhead, longleat house and much more. Then it's up to wilton house near salisbury and stonehenge and finally some days in Bath. Unfortunately we'll have to go back after Bath ...

I reckon you'll have a great time!!  its a lovely part of the country!! Cheddar can get busy, but its well worth a visit!!
Sue H
Sue H
quotePosted at 21:21 on 27th February 2009

Some interesting people in Glastonbury Michael. When I was there it was Mother Goddess week or something, quite interesting to people watch, I can tell you.

Cheddar is fantastic! Everything is fantastic. You'll love it!

Patrick Van Calck
Patrick Van Calck
quotePosted at 07:44 on 2nd March 2009

Looks like I booked a fine holliday.

If she's convinced of England's beauty, next might be the lake district and/or the highlands.