Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

The fishing boat public house, East Runton, Norfolk

East Runton

in the county of Norfolk

Sheerness, on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent

Sheerness

in the county of Kent

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

I am going to Kent!!!

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 09:35 on 3rd July 2010

Hello everybody!

It is decided: We are going to Kent in september. Just for a couple of days, just to explore a little before going there in the springtime (may or june) a little bit longer. I'm really really really excited. I've been in London twice, I've been in Cambridge, but this is the first time to explore the countryside of England. I used to go to France EVERY holiday, so this is very new!

Now I'm exploring every site about Kent, and this site is great too!!!

:))

My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 23:37 on 4th July 2010

Two places I would highly recommend that are in close proximity are Penshurst Place (http://www.penshurstplace.com/) and Hever Castle, family home of Anne Boleyn (http://www.hevercastle.co.uk/). Close to these attractions is a really wonderful pub called The Little Brown Jug (http://www.thelittlebrownjug.co.uk/home.html) situated on the Chiddingstone Causeway (B2027), which serves incredible food and has a really quaint and friendly atmosphere.

Penshurst Place:

Penshurst Place, Kent
Picture by Eric Heijmans

Hever Castle:

Hever Castle in October
Picture by Rob Faleer

If you are pressed for time, you could see both of these stately homes in a day, though I would recommend taking a day for each of them. Hope this helps--have a great time!

Edited by: Rob Faleer at:4th July 2010 23:38
Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 07:44 on 5th July 2010

Thank you Rob!! I will add those places to my list (Hever Castle was allready on it though) and thank you also for the pub! I doubt we visit the places in a day, because we have a 4 years old child with us.

I'm planning a day for London too. It is so close and I haven't been there for years.

Rob Faleer
Rob Faleer
quotePosted at 13:52 on 5th July 2010

Glad to help. The Little Brown Jug pub seems to me to be child-friendly. The several times I've eaten at the pub there were children in the dining areas and they seemed to be welcome--I saw the wait-staff often interacting with the children in positive ways.

Another place to visit that is not too far from Hever Castle is Ightham Mote (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-ighthammote), one of the finest medieval manor houses in England (at least in my opinion).

Ightham Mote 2
Picture by Geoff Stamp

Ightham Mote
Picture by Geoff Stamp

Be careful of the the moat with a four-year-old (as if I have to remind you)!

lancashirelove
lancashirelove
quotePosted at 17:38 on 5th July 2010
I Think you will find 'well behaved' children welcome in most English 'pubs' guys, certainly upto about 8pm but they are not encouraged around the 'serving bar area and must be under control of an adult. It is an offence to buy anyone under the age of 18 alcohol though.
David Seager
David Seager
quotePosted at 00:17 on 4th August 2010

Lucky you, for this trip to Kent.  If you're in the Maidstone/Thurnham area, and if you run into anyone with the surname "Seager," would you tell them of their American cousin?  I'd trade places with them!  (I've never been there, sadly).

On another Kent-related topic, does anyone have any news of the controversial "Kent International Gateway" project?

Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 16:42 on 28th August 2010
Sure, I will tell them! ;)
cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 16:59 on 28th August 2010

Hi Fleursauvage, we now have a "Whistle-stop-tour" of Kent on the Forum which suggests lots of different places to visit. You will find all the details here:

http://www.picturesofengland.com/forum/Picture_Chat/4437

Hope that you will find lots of ideas for your forthcoming visit to Kent.

Fleursauvage
Fleursauvage
quotePosted at 10:44 on 11th September 2010

Thank you Cathyml. I will look into that topic!

I have already a lot of ideas and so little time. I'm going next monday, but I'm sure to go next year again!

cathyml
cathyml
quotePosted at 10:55 on 11th September 2010

Your trip is so close now!  I am sure you will have a wonderful one and look forward to seeing your pics and stories on your return.

Be sure not to miss anything, lolSmile