Search:

Historic Towns & Picturesque Villages

Annabels, 44 Berkeley Sq., Mayfair

Mayfair

in the county of Greater London

St Abbs Head

St Abbs

in the county of Borders

A picture of RyeBath AbbeyA picture of Bath AbbeyBag End?A picture of Barton Le ClayA picture of Barton Le Clay

adding to a planned English soccer tour

**Please support PoE by donating today - thank you**

Marci Phillips
Marci Phillips
quotePosted at 06:38 on 20th June 2012
My 14 year old son has been invited to take a trip to England with his soccer team.  The family was excited!  We are planning on joining in and making it a real family vacation.  However, the intiniery is jam-packed and we will be traveling with a large group the whole time.  I would like to add 4-5 days before the trip to travel more leisurely and just the four of us.  Any suggestions on the best use of these extra days.  Most of the planned tour is in London, Chester, and North Whales.
My favourite: Pictures  |  Towns  |  Attractions
Ron Brind
Ron Brind
quotePosted at 09:08 on 20th June 2012

Hi Marci and welcome to POE from Anna and Ron. The planned tour to London, Chester and North Wales (not Whales) is going to be hectic enough because driving 200 miles here in the UK is not like driving that distance in the USA.

I think you need to give us a clue as to what you want to see, any hobbies, bucket list stuff and then we can probably point you in the right direction.

We are in Oxford with rich history. In fact the Eagle and Child where C S Lewis and the Inklings met was serving beer since 1650 - that's older than America!

So maybe base your time around Oxford and visit Blenheim Palace which is just 30 minutes drive away in Woodstock. The Cotswolds which are about an hours drive away will keep you busy for a month, let alone 5 days!

Don't forget to book any accommodation via this site to get it cheaper than going direct to the hotels. You support POE, POE looks after my website www.cslewistours.com and you save money! Start at the following link: http://www.picturesofengland.com/hotels/

Either way enjoy your trip

The acronym POE stands for www.PicturesOfEngland.com

Edited by: Ron Brind at:20th June 2012 09:10
James Prescott
James Prescott
quotePosted at 14:22 on 20th June 2012

you may not see too much in your 4-5 days marci i would say you need at least two weeks and then that me not be long enough.

a little tip for you--try contacting the football clubs as most of them do a ground and club tour you may get a fair discount with so many in the party.Smile   good luck.

Marci Phillips
Marci Phillips
quotePosted at 00:41 on 21st June 2012
Thanks for your input.  The planned soccer tour does cover two tours of stadiums, three professional games, and two training days, as well as two days of sightseeing in London.  That tour is 10 days and unfortunately, we can only pull off an additional 4-5 days.  So we are trying to see parts on England without the tour group rush.  I have two sons (14 and 18) and we have never been outside of the US.  I just started the research process so I am just trying to get those "don't miss" moments.  We will be there in July. 
 Please login to post to this thread...